BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Lowey RIP

Local paper reporting the death of former midfielder John Lowey aged 61. Passed away at his home in Australia . His untimely death follows the recent passing of Kevin Stonehouse .

sad news , no age at all and puts things in perspective.

condolences to his family . RIP, John 

When I first stating watching rovers (1983)John Lowey was part of the team , always seemed to be him or Colin Randall partnering Simon Barker in midfield , I am mid 40's now and it's sad that now makes 3 of that team no longer with us After Noel Brotherston and Chris Thompson ?

• Like 2

Just now, Dave S said:

I very much hope that Kevin Stonehouse and John Lowey will be remembered at the next Rovers game.

We seem to be very poor at remembering our former players.

Kevin Stonehouse passed away before the Charlton game and there was no tribute. It might be because they do a mass tribute to players and supporters who have passed away usually in the New Year.

I think for players though there should be individual tributes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Kevin Stonehouse passed away before the Charlton game and there was no tribute. It might be because they do a mass tribute to players and supporters who have passed away usually in the New Year.

I think for players though there should be individual tributes.

Couldn’t agree more Tony. 

• Like 1

I remember when Bobby Charlton came down to Witton to officially open the new astroturf pitch, and the Rovers squad at the time (which included Noel, John Lowey, Basil I think, and certainly Tony Parkes) all 'trained' amongst the crowd. Lowey was great with the kids (including me) and posed for several 'action shot' photos (which I still have tucked away in a box in the garage I think). I always admired his athleticism, and thought at the time that he had the hardest shot I'd ever seen (memory erased by Steven Reid's screamer at Wigan, of course!) 

RIP John Lowey. A good servant to the Rovers cause. 

Lowey mentioned at 4.50 in this clip from 1984 - cup game against the mighty Swindon Town (Jimmy Quinn scored for them before he joined us). 

Edited by WIR Second Coming
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

I remember when Bobby Charlton came down to Witton to officially open the new astroturf pitch, and the Rovers squad at the time (which included Noel, John Lowey, Basil I think, and certainly Tony Parkes) all 'trained' amongst the crowd. Lowey was great with the kids (including me) and posed for several 'action shot' photos (which I still have tucked away in a box in the garage I think). I always admired his athleticism, and thought at the time that he had the hardest shot I'd ever seen (memory erased by Steven Reid's screamer at Wigan, of course!) 

RIP John Lowey. A good servant to the Rovers cause. 

Lowey mentioned at 4.50 in this clip from 1984 - cup game against the mighty Swindon Town (Jimmy Quinn scored for them before he joined us). 

You brought back great memories there! I was at Witton Park that day and got Bobby Charlton's autograph. I remember the players lining up to sign for the kids and felt sorry for Jim Branagan whose queue was empty whilst the one for Garner seemed to stretch for miles.

I was also at the Swindon away game. An old uncle of mine lived in Wiltshire and warned us before the game about Jimmy Quinn as he was somthing of a celebrity in the West Country with his goal scoring exploits.