BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom

Tosin is injured and out for the weekend apparently 

So that’s 2 cb’s injured and 2 loaned out leaving no actual recognised central defenders with league experience 

• Like 2

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Dack's scavenging and the long-ball to Graham won us this game. I feel like this win is huge for us at the moment, yet it's against lowly Oldham. Funny how football can make you feel.

The worry for me is this new style that we are playing - possession football, on the floor, etc. I've watched both of our league games so far, and although it's still very early days, I wonder where the goals are coming from without Graham in the team and the strengths (literally) that he provides. By my reckoning, we've scored one goal in three games with our "new style" of play, and even that was from a set-piece (and an own-goal to boot). Yet, as tonight's second-half showed. when we go direct to Graham with Dack peeling off, we bagged three goals.

I entrust Mowbray to try things to make us better, because he knows the game far better than I do, but I would honestly pull the plug (panic, maybe!) on this possession-based football, and just revert to our players' strengths. It's served us well, and until we can splash out on tikki-taka midfielders, just put it on ice.

I have no problem with direct-play if that's what gets us results; Graham up front, two wide forwards (take your pick) with Dack playing just behind them and picking up the pieces... What's the shame in that?

That we didn't sign another forward who can play the Graham role.

My team for Saturday  Walton .  Nyambe . Tosin . Williams . Cunningham . Chapman or Armstrong  . Johnson . Travis . Rothwell . Dack and Graham. Make left  and right wing work back when defending and double up on away teams wide players this would stop crosses  in too the box.  And when going forward the wingers  need to make the pitch as big has possible  and get crosses  in. Dack to drop in too midfield and make it a three when where defending  and  Graham up front to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game   its simply come on Tony lad

Nice to see three goals and a win by my word we made hard work of that. If nothing else I was delighted to get one over on their muppet fans - absolute Neanderthals.

The positives were all off the bench with our second string section of the first team squad being utterly incapable of unlocking a team almost at the foot of the football league. I’d even go as far as to say that the best team lost. We made Oldham look like a decent Championship side for about 75 minutes of that game. Not good enough. Our quality off the bench (including Chapman) changed that game although our defence continues to be a puzzle that Mowbray is incapable of solving. We still need to score three goals to win a match - even against lowly opposition. That suggests we have got things wrong tactically when all-comers can put two past us. There were a lot of boos at half time from the 5,000 hardy fans going in at 1-0.

A satisfactory end to the evening (just) and definitely worth £2 to watch - maybe even a great game second half for the neutral - but it changes nothing regarding Mowbray. He still has it all to do. I just hope that this gives the team a lift and we can take some belief into the weekend.

Oh and Brereton was awful again. There was a moment in the first half where he was played in, beat the offside trap and was bearing down on goal. Despite his head start he always looked second best and was easily beaten to the ball. This project needs shelving.

Just now, stinny1 said:

My team for Saturday  Walton .  Nyambe . Tosin . Williams . Cunningham . Chapman or Armstrong  . Johnson . Travis . Rothwell . Dack and Graham. Make left  and right wing work back when defending and double up on away teams wide players this would stop crosses  in too the box.  And when going forward the wingers  need to make the pitch as big has possible  and get crosses  in. Dack to drop in too midfield and make it a three when where defending  and  Graham up front to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game   its simply come on Tony lad

Just given captaincy to Bennett so hes gonna start at RB.

Just now, Tom said:

So that’s 2 cb’s injured and 2 loaned out leaving no actual recognised central defenders with league experience 

Shite. So it'll be Nyambe, Platt or Grayson. With Williams.

If only the vulnerability of this area of the pitch to injuries had been apparent through the entirety of the last two windows. Then I'm sure we would have sorted it.

Edited by bluebruce

Just now, Tom said:

Where has that come from, Tom?

• Like 1

I thought there were some poor individual performances tonight and any fringe player with first team ambitions can put them to bed for a while. I was disappointed to see Downing starting on the right and Nyambe didn't know whether to stick or twist at times. The two young centre halves struggled at times and Evans and Smallwood were............pretty much Evans and Smallwood. Brereton was poor in my book and looked anything but a big money striker. Without doubt the introduction of Dack and Rothwell changed the game as they, along with Chapman were prepared to run at League Two defenders. At times I hadn't a clue what system Mowbray was playing so for the players it must be baffling.

I thought we got away with one tonight but winning is the most important thing.

Just now, Stuart said:

Oh and Brereton was awful again. There was a moment in the first half where he was played in, beat the offside trap and was bearing down on goal. Despite his head start he always looked second best and was easily beaten to the ball. This project needs shelving.

I suspect the lad has feeble confidence, which probably means he will never make it as a top player at this level. After a good pre-season he probably expected a proper crack of the whip but was immediately displaced by a new signing. I reckon that's all it took to wobble his self belief. Don't think he will regain it now, and even if he does, he will probably always be susceptible to a crisis of confidence.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Tom said:

So it'll almost certainly be Bennett - Nyambe - Williams - Cunningham at the back then. I can't discount Bell as a possibility, but let's try to be optimistic. It might be okay against a poor Boro team, but long term we're looking at some tonkings with that back four I'm afraid. 

Just now, Stuart said:

Nice to see three goals and a win by my word we made hard work of that. If nothing else I was delighted to get one over on their muppet fans - absolute Neanderthals.

The positives were all off the bench with our second string section of the first team squad being utterly incapable of unlocking a team almost at the foot of the football league. I’d even go as far as to say that the best team lost. We made Oldham look like a decent Championship side for about 75 minutes of that game. Not good enough. Our quality off the bench (including Chapman) changed that game although our defence continues to be a puzzle that Mowbray is incapable of solving. We still need to score three goals to win a match - even against lowly opposition. That suggests we have got things wrong tactically when all-comers can put two past us. There were a lot of boos at half time from the 5,000 hardy fans going in at 1-0.

A satisfactory end to the evening (just) and definitely worth £2 to watch - maybe even a great game second half for the neutral - but it changes nothing regarding Mowbray. He still has it all to do. I just hope that this gives the team a lift and we can take some belief into the weekend.

I'd love someone to explain who was playing where after all the subs had been made. 

Mowbray has lost the plot I'm afraid. We only beat Oldham because Graham and Dack decided to drag us out of the mire. Tactically, Oldham were light years ahead of us. 

Just now, Tom said:

Mowbray post Oldham: ''I don’t want to be the team we have been for the last two years and just hit long balls to Danny Graham ''

Mowbray post Oldham: ''My mentality is that if you are not good enough to play against Oldham Athletic at home then you are not good enough to be in the building''

That should see the end of Smallwood then.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Just now, bluebruce said:

I suspect the lad has feeble confidence, which probably means he will never make it as a top player at this level. After a good pre-season he probably expected a proper crack of the whip but was immediately displaced by a new signing. I reckon that's all it took to wobble his self belief. Don't think he will regain it now, and even if he does, he will probably always be susceptible to a crisis of confidence.

He has a poor first touch too.

I've so wanted him to come good, but nothing about his game stands out.

Just now, Tom said:

Bloody hell. Just what we need! If only someone could have spotted that we were... how does Mowbray put it...

F5AF60E8-0BE4-4AD4-9952-B47BC6436BE3.thumb.jpeg.04a17095e280c33db87e813d04c12ca6.jpeg

...oh yes, “really thin” at the back.

That bloke really has some brass neck.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd love someone to explain who was playing where after all the subs had been made. 

Mowbray has lost the plot I'm afraid. We only beat Oldham because Graham and Dack decided to drag us out of the mire. Tactically, Oldham were light years ahead of us. 

This is what troubles me most.

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

He has a poor first touch too.

I've so wanted him to come good, but nothing about his game stands out.

When you're not confident in your abilities, everything looks poor. Effort, concentration, touch. I've seen flashes from him, and he's done some decent stuff prior to coming here, but I suspect we'll never found out what kind of player he really is (or at least, could have been).

I mean he might just be a bit gash-on-toast, but personally I just think it's mental with him.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Bloody hell. Just what we need! If only someone could have spotted that we were... how does Mowbray put it...

F5AF60E8-0BE4-4AD4-9952-B47BC6436BE3.thumb.jpeg.04a17095e280c33db87e813d04c12ca6.jpeg

...oh yes, “really thin” at the back.

That bloke really has some brass neck.

Only IF they BOTH miss the weekend though. If one or both of them makes it, we are hunky dory for the season.

• Backroom
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray post Oldham: ''I don’t want to be the team we have been for the last two years and just hit long balls to Danny Graham ''

He means the team that got promoted the first time of asking out of League 1, then consolidated last season despite the manager screwing the team over in the January window by failing to address our key positions? Yeah, let's not be that team. Let's be the team that loses at home to Charlton, concedes two goals a game against any and all comers and can't hit a shot on target. That's what we want.

We literally beat a League 2 team tonight because we went back to being that team. There is no other choice here.

• Like 3

I think tonight proved beyond doubt that Graham and Dack have to be the strike force.  The manager got out of jail tonight with his team selection.  Why we made so many changes I'll never know.  The players seemed all over the place at times.  The plus was the link up between Dack and Graham again.  When Dack plays off Graham they look a real threat.  Sad to say I thought Brereton was awful yet again.  Perhaps sending the lad out on loan to get him out of the spotlight and allow up to build up some confidence might help but at the moment he is really struggling.  I felt sorry for the lad as his first touch and his reading of the game were shocking.

I think Downing could be a useful acquisition as he uses the ball with some intelligence and is a decent crosser of the ball.  

Winning is everything in cup-ties and we won - that's about all you can say apart from having enjoyed the return of the Graham-Dack combination. 

• Like 5