36 minutes ago, Hasta said:

A rather dull and dreary 65 minutes followed by a much more exciting last 25, mainly thanks to our "get everyone on the pitch wherever" approach at the end.

Nyambe and Cunningham were both surprisingly pretty bad. We know Nyambe is better than that, but his touch, decision making, and positioning was all wrong. Cunningham got skinned with a stopover early on and looked a bit shaky and frustrated for the rest of the evening.

Smallwood was marginally better than Evans, but you know that they are sterile, slow the game down and don't look to go forward. Buckley didn't do much and looked like he was trying too hard. Downing does look a better footballer than Conway, but he has no zip or spark about him and isn't going to change the game single handedly. At least he kept his shot down for the goal at the end, whereas our usual midfielders put 25 yarders into the stand.

The build up was so slow and sterile. It's like we thought if we kept hold of the ball and passed it around in the middle of the pitch eventually some gaping hole would open up for us the play the ball into and get a free shot on goal. No-one was trying to make anything happen. no-one was driving the team forward.

Once Dack came on, Graham looked twice the player. Suddenly he had a runner in and around him and could lay ball (some high and diagonal into him!!) off into Dacks path. Dack also looked a couple of levels above the opposition. We've not seen him be as influential as that for a while. There's a bit of a worry that he's a flat track bully against poorer  opponent in regards to his ability to come deep, turn and link up play. He will always find space and score goals like last season, but where he really stands out seemed to be in the league one campaign and against lower league opposition. Rothwell changed the pace of the game. He picks the ball up just inside the opposition half and his first thought is how far forward can I take this ball to put us on the attack. He may lose it now and again but thats what happens when you try and make something happen. He's almost first name on the team sheet for me the weekend.

Chapman only really ran at his full back twice. Having got the left back booked, he was then switched to the right, probably because more of the play was coming down the right.  If he meant the low ball into Dark at the near post that was a great ball.

Finally, Brereton. I really want the lad to do well, but he doesn't look like its going to happen. When he gets the ball, or is running with the ball, he looks 'awkward'. Therefore he either needs to be a big physical presence or have great awareness in the penalty box and he doesn't. The problem is, he should be behind Graham, Armstrong, Gallagher in the pecking order, and I've still yet to see he is any better than Samual or the departed Nuttall. He may start getting chances purely because TM signed him, rather than on merit, which would just be wrong.  He will score goals over a period of time but he doesn't look like he's ever going to constantly scare the opposition during games.

Although he actually did that! 

Ya, I think when it comes to actually influencing the game Dack is a flat track bully. He still scores and assists at Championship level, which is great, but he never looks like the best player on the field. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Thought it was a poor performance and a stark reminder that amidst 12m worth of strikers, the most effective is the 34 year old written off by many.

Dack changed the game when he came on, his link up with Graham is critical when Mowbray hasnt come close to finding another reliable source of goals regardless of the money hes thrown down the drain.

Brereton on the other hand had an absolute shocker. Failing to score from 3 guilt edge chances, 2 of which he failed to even make close to proper contact with. Also when he was put through

Downing offered a glimpse of quality and a great strike, but cannot play right wing. Chapman and Rothwell offered a new sense of pace and energy even if their end product was mixed, we looked more dangerous with them on. Cunningham was steady enough, Nyambe lacking confidence which is unsurprising. Evans and Smallwood not up to it, again.

Didnt think it was a good night for our academy players either, none suggested that they are close to the first team. The 2 centre backs are nowhere near, obviously Platt couldnt get on Stanleys defence and Grayson was no better. On a night when Mowbray said that Tosin is also a doubt for Saturday, leaving us with only Williams, the grimly predictable eventually of not having enough CBs could come into play in the third league game which is embarassing for the manager.

People rave about Buckleys talent but every time I see him he looks a million miles away. So soft and flimsy and ultimately totally ineffectual and lucky to last the game.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Although he actually did that! 

Did he really? Did Dack and Rothwell not change the game completely meaning that suddenly Downing started getting big pockets of space in midfield?  Had Dack not been fouled right on the edge of the box with numerous defenders around him, Downing wouldn't have had Cairney-like space to shoot.

Until we actually had an attacking threat on the pitch, all Downing was doing was picking the ball up and going square or just firing it into the box.

Edited by Hasta

Did anyone see the back heel Chapman did to set up one of the goals. Looks like he will work well with Dack, Graham and Rothwell

Just now, starscascade said:

Did anyone see the back heel Chapman did to set up one of the goals. Looks like he will work well with Dack, Graham and Rothwell

That didnt lead to a goal, but he played an absolutely superb reverse pass near the end from the left hand side that we should have scored from.

Just now, starscascade said:

Not a chance them four will start in a league game together.

Just now, Hasta said:

Did he really? Did Dack and Rothwell not change the game completely meaning that suddenly Downing started getting big pockets of space in midfield?  Had Dack not been fouled right on the edge of the box with numerous defenders around him, Downing wouldn't have had Cairney-like space to shoot.

Until we actually had an attacking threat on the pitch, all Downing was doing was picking the ball up and going square or just firing it into the box.

Ya, he did. His goal completely changed the game. We were going out until he stepped up with the quality to score it. We don't have many others who would have been able to do that. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What a depressing statement. 

You call it depressing, I call it realistic, and currently the only system we have which actually gets us two goals a game. This new system might be nice in theory, but it ain't feckin working, and if we keep trying to make it work, we could be in for a dog fight when it doesn't. I'd rather finish 15th playing with Graham up front, than lower playing "nice" football with BB and SG up top.

28 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Don't think it is strange - TM obviously wanted Gallagher last season. When we couldn't get him - we went for Brereton. Have to seriously question the scouting on this one. Though they are both physically similar in stature - Gallagher puts in far more effort - and is more robust than Brereton.

Obviously hope both come good - but at the moment Gallagher looks by far the most likely.

Eh? If you're blaming the scouting then its strange that it should be so bad!

Last season it was when will he let rothwell off the leash.

I think the mantra for this year, is when will he finally let this entire team off the leash.

So much to like about the options we have, yet it seems like we will never see the best of them together in a system that suits everyone

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Last season it was when will he let rothwell off the leash.

I think the mantra for this year, is when will he finally let this entire team off the leash.

So much to like about the options we have, yet it seems like we will never see the best of them together in a system that suits everyone

Not while he's here i'm afraid. 

it will take another manager to let them off the leash. We are going nowhere with this bloke.

11 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think he has put himself up as a target in respect of the expectations he’s raised Glen. I also think he might end up losing his job...but I spoke to Waggot pre match and sat behind him, Suhail and Cheston and they didn’t seem or look too concerned. 

His demeanour has changed (TM) it changed post pune tbh waggott and Mowbray started to downplay expectations having previously raised them. I suspect the owners want nothing to with a relegation battle this season and might pot Mowbray before we become seriously embroiled in one. I don't think it will be this weekend if we lose, but if performances carry on as they are I think he'll be toast by November. Unless they've already got someone in mine and lined up which I doubt.

Did Smallwood have a bit of a strop when he got brought off? Saw on twitter something about it 

Smallwood walked off around the pitch then straight down the tunnel he should have continued out I’d the main exit he really was that poor

Edited by 1864roverite

Just now, Tom said:

Did Smallwood have a bit of a strop when he got brought off? Saw on twitter something about it 

For anybody not there Smallwood was a 'victim' of the new law change whereby a player being substituted has to go off at the nearest point. In Smallwoods case this was an empty Riverside and he opted to walk in front of the Blackburn End and JW Lower. In fairness he got a decent reception and he reciprocated but he did appear to go straight down the tunnel without acknowledging anybody on the bench. He didn't appear to be injured neither.

This new sub rule is just asking for fan confrontation, he went off at the Riverside touchline and wandered past the BEnd and JW to the tunnel.

Have to say though, despite having had a stinker and losing to a fourth division side he still had his name sung as he trudged past.

’Just get behind the lads FFS’.

Edited by Mattyblue

Yeah he’s crap and had a shocker, he still got a good reception.

Just shows that Ewood does ‘get behind them’.

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he did. His goal completely changed the game. We were going out until he stepped up with the quality to score it. We don't have many others who would have been able to do that. 

Eh? Did Dack not have any contribution to the goal, both in the way the goal came about and the way he had change the dynamic of the game to allow others more space? I'd say Dack and Rothwell between them changed the game.

But if you think Downing single-handedly changed that game fair enough. 

Edited by Hasta

5 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Eh? Did Dack not have any contribution to the goal, both in the way the goal came about and the way he had change the dynamic of the game to allow others more space? I'd say Dack and Rothwell between them changed the game.

But if you think Downing single-handedly changed that game fair enough. 

Of course Dack had somehting to do with it. I never said he didn't. He played the ball back and got fouled in the process. 

If a player puts a shot in from 25 yards in the last minute of the game to keep you in the cup, I would say they changed the game pretty much single handedly. If he didn't do it, for all Dack and Rothwells influence, we were out. 

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

His demeanour has changed (TM) it changed post pune tbh waggott and Mowbray started to downplay expectations having previously raised them. I suspect the owners want nothing to with a relegation battle this season and might pot Mowbray before we become seriously embroiled in one. I don't think it will be this weekend if we lose, but if performances carry on as they are I think he'll be toast by November. Unless they've already got someone in mine and lined up which I doubt.

Ya, I wonder did it go something like "you need to get rid of players before you sign any. Yes, that includes guys you gave fat new contracts to who are not good enough at championship level. Oh ya and if you don't compete for the play offs, you will get sacked" 

Something changed alright 

Of course Dack had somehting to do with it. I never said he didn't. He played the ball back and got fouled in the process. 

If a player puts a shot in from 25 yards in the last minute of the game to keep you in the cup, I would say they changed the game pretty much single handedly. If he didn't do it, for all Dack and Rothwells influence, we were out. 

Dack scored 1 and had 2 assists. His goal, our first, changed the momentum of the game and he gifted the winner to Rothwell. I would say that changed the game pretty much single-handedly.

Great shot by Downing though

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

This new sub rule is just asking for fan confrontation, he went off at the Riverside touchline and wandered past the BEnd and JW to the tunnel.

Have to say though, despite having had a stinker and losing to a fourth division side he still had his name sung as he trudged past.

’Just get behind the lads FFS’.

The rule wasnt enforced at Fulham where from memory every sub left the pitch by the bench rather than behind the goals or the far touchline. Mind you that was the least of Stroud's faults.