BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Away

If somebody told me we'd score two goals today I'd have backed us to win given our run of clean sheets. How wrong I was. Far too many individual mistakes cost us with Cunningham and Lenihan directly responsible for the concession of two goals. Along with the errors I was disappointed with Armstrong for the first half hour when the West Brom right back was their best attacker. Why on earth Mowbray played him on the left and Downing on the right is baffling me. They eventually changed but the damage was done by then. With West Brom apperaring three minutes before Rovers after half time it felt to me that something has been said or done in our changing room. The two changes worked far better for us and we got on the front foot and pushed West Brom back. They came into it but we finished strongly as we looked for a third.

At the moment I don't get the Sam Gallagher love in. At best he is average and a slight improvement on Brereton. Both are as weak as piss.

A disappointing afternoon as we lost another.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DE. said:

When was the last time we came back from behind to win a match btw? I remember it being noted a while ago that it was a really long time, and I can't remember if we've come from behind to win since then.

When was the last time we won when scoring in the first minute?

32 minutes ago, arbitro said:

If somebody told me we'd score two goals today I'd have backed us to win given our run of clean sheets. How wrong I was. Far too many individual mistakes cost us with Cunningham and Lenihan directly responsible for the concession of two goals. Along with the errors I was disappointed with Armstrong for the first half hour when the West Brom right back was their best attacker. Why on earth Mowbray played him on the left and Downing on the right is baffling me. They eventually changed but the damage was done by then. With West Brom apperaring three minutes before Rovers after half time it felt to me that something has been said or done in our changing room. The two changes worked far better for us and we got on the front foot and pushed West Brom back. They came into it but we finished strongly as we looked for a third.

At the moment I don't get the Sam Gallagher love in. At best he is average and a slight improvement on Brereton. Both are as weak as piss.

A disappointing afternoon as we lost another.

I can't help but think we see them as wingers and expect them to track back and defend but Tony and co. see them as 'wide forwards' so they don't think they need to bother. Just a thought....

Just now, darrenrover said:

I can't help but think we see them as wingers and expect them to track back and defend but Tony and co. see them as 'wide forwards' so they don't think they need to bother. Just a thought....

In all honesty Nick Adam Armstrong couldn't defend his honour so I don't understand why Mowbray has him in a position where he is expected to particularly as it's on the wrong side for him. West Brom away is a tough game where you have to be defensively sound for long periods. Expecting that from Armstrong is a big ask.

• Like 2

I said after the Hull game i wasn't keen on Armstrongs body language he looks lackadasiacal at times and for Mowbrays systems to work properly you just cannot have that.  A wide strikers has to be a hardworking striker but Gallagher aside they all just look like strikers stuck on the wing who aren't comfortable with it.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

In all honesty Nick Adam Armstrong couldn't defend his honour so I don't understand why Mowbray has him in a position where he is expected to particularly as it's on the wrong side for him. West Brom away is a tough game where you have to be defensively sound for long periods. Expecting that from Armstrong is a big ask.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Tony, hence my comment but I don't think TM does.

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Narrow defeat, no doubt Mowbray and his apologists will try to spin it into some sort of heroic failure.

The season already starting to follow the same type of pattern as last year. Few bad results followed by few decent results followed by few bad results etc etc.

It's all about going on runs. We just need to make sure the bad ones arent as prolonged as last years. 

Question mark's still out for sure  I think its criminal that Armstrong starts over Rothwell. I just don't see how Armstrong is the better option in any way. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Totally agree.  If your wide players are going to have to defend then surely Bennett and Downing are the two you need rather than Armstrong, Rothwell or Gallagher.  It was noticeable that when Bennett got forward in the second half and put in a couple of decent crosses, there was nobody covering the gap behind him and Albion quickly exploited that gap.

I thought we lost the game today during a twenty-minute spell in the first-half when we made elementary individual errors.  Cunningham was poor for the first, Armstrong went missing on the second and Lenihan was completely done for pace on the third, having got himself in a poor position to begin with.

Above all I'd like to see Graham and Dack given a run of games as a twin strike force.  Gallagher is a slightly better version of Brereton - but let's be honest that's a pretty low bar.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dr X said:

Was Johnson injured?

I could not see the point of bringing Buckley on in what was always going to be a battle in midfield, personally I would have brought on Nyambe at right back and pushed Bennet into midfield, but that might have involved playing too many players in there preferred positions.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Totally agree.  If your wide players are going to have to defend then surely Bennett and Downing are the two you need rather than Armstrong, Rothwell or Gallagher.  It was noticeable that when Bennett got forward in the second half and put in a couple of decent crosses, there was nobody covering the gap behind him and Albion quickly exploited that gap.

I thought we lost the game today during a twenty-minute spell in the first-half when we made elementary individual errors.  Cunningham was poor for the first, Armstrong went missing on the second and Lenihan was completely done for pace on the third, having got himself in a poor position to begin with.

Above all I'd like to see Graham and Dack given a run of games as a twin strike force.  Gallagher is a slightly better version of Brereton - but let's be honest that's a pretty low bar.

I don't know why Lenihan just didn't wrap his arms around the West Brom player to stop him. He half did and got yellow carded anyway. In the second half Armstrong got away from a defender in almost identical circumstances and he was brought down. We simply have to be more ruthless and nasty sometimes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Consolidation isn't good enough, we should always be pushing for promotion. If a skint Charlton Athletic (who have sold some of their better players from last season) can be right up there and churning out wins, then Blackburn Rovers should be.  Over the years, countless teams have got back to back promotions or within 2 seasons of leaving League 1 - we should be aspiring to that, not scratching for excuses or positives from defeats.

Our main problems are the Tinkerman, shelling £12m on non-scoring strikers and almost Jack shit on leaky defence. I'd much rather we paid just £2million for a better manager.

Glass half full...

Big month ahead for Mowbray. We’ve had a tough set of August fixtures and are now at the bottom end of midtable, looking up at two-thirds of the division.

We are one win off 6th and need to be knocking on the door of the play-off places by the end of September. People will say it’s early days but we need a real show of intent. But we need to start by benching failing players, not sticking with his favourites. Square pegs in square holes and some consistency.

• Like 4

Two instances  that stuck out for me where very similar. In the first half we lose position their player goes through with a half hearted attempt to be pulled back, end result they score.Second half they lose possession our player goes through, their defender takes his legs. End result their player gets booked, we get a free-kick which comes to nothing 

Not read any comments, but by feckin feck, that was atrocious. Bennett again, awful, armstrong dont even get me started feckin rubbish. Graham is the best man up front, but knob head wont play him. The fans today were not happy with Mr play my favs. Lost all confidence in him today. Feck off tony, cant be assed with ya.

Rothwell only player who FULLY came over after game, PISS POOR.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

Disappointed result after we scored 2 goals. 

The 1st goal was foul by Phillips but still Cunningham should have cleared the ball into the stand. 

2nd goal was poor defending by Armstrong and Johnson didn't react to the ball coming off the post. Johnson went sleep. 

3rd goal was poor by Lenihan who should have took him out but then Johnson didn't work hard enough to get back and cover. 

Far too many mistakes by players cost us today. Shame after 3 clean sheets. 

I enjoyed our 1st goal cause by us high pressing and winning the ball back high, 

I was surprise when Mowbray took Gallagher and Johnson off at half time. I would have took off Armstrong off inside. Gallagher wasn't in the game after first 15/20 mins

Thought Buckley played well and I would start him in the next game. Rothwell didn't impact the ball as I would have like

Armstrong, Lenihan, Downing was all poor today. Travis was my man of the match

Really hope youre joking. Bennett was pathetic as usual, as was armstrong. Arm in particular is one lazy bastard, second goal his fault. Bennett just awful all game.

I don't buy this tough start at all. Yes today was a difficult game but WBA had lost a couple of players from last season so wasn't insurmountable. The rest of the start saw us Vs rookie managers at Boro and Fulham - would've been worse if played them when the managers are more familiar with the league - Charlton, a team from league 1 who lost a few key players, a big standard lower championship team in Hull and a tough game Vs Cardiff. Not a hard start imo at all. Obviously it's little unpredictable - Charlton are doing better than expected whilst Cardiff worse but I don't think it was a nightmare start. 

As for today wingers on the wrong side and silly defensive errors sounds vintage Rovers. 

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Disappointed result after we scored 2 goals. 

The 1st goal was foul by Phillips but still Cunningham should have cleared the ball into the stand. 

2nd goal was poor defending by Armstrong and Johnson didn't react to the ball coming off the post. Johnson went sleep. 

3rd goal was poor by Lenihan who should have took him out but then Johnson didn't work hard enough to get back and cover. 

Far too many mistakes by players cost us today. Shame after 3 clean sheets. 

I enjoyed our 1st goal cause by us high pressing and winning the ball back high, 

I was surprise when Mowbray took Gallagher and Johnson off at half time. I would have took off Armstrong off inside. Gallagher wasn't in the game after first 15/20 mins

Thought Buckley played well and I would start him in the next game. Rothwell didn't impact the ball as I would have like

Armstrong, Lenihan, Downing was all poor today. Travis was my man of the match

Buckley was atrocious hope we arent looking to him, hes awful, plays like a schoolboy. Awful touch.

There aren't truly any "tough" games in The Championship. The gulf in class is not that wide compared to what you'd find in the top flight. Anyone can beat anyone on their day. 

Edited by Amo
  • Like 6

Just now, Amo said:

There aren't truly any "tough" games in The Championship. The gulf in class is not that wide compared to what you'd find in the top flight. Anyone can beat anyone on their day. 

Apart from us, we back down to all.

Armstrong getting a fair bit of stick on here, but Gallagher seems to be getting away with doing very little every game and avoiding criticism.

Surely we’ve got to go back to Dack and Graham.

We have also got to settle on a style of play. The players aren’t good enough to be playing different systems every week like Mowbray is asking of them.

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

Well if anyone can beat anyone then surely it makes as much sense to say that all the games are tough? Nonsense comment, there will always be better, fitter, more consistent, more tactically astute, or more technically gifted teams in comparison to others. Unfortunately we are none of those so we can’t expect to put the lines of WBA in their place.