BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Away

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I could not see the point of bringing Buckley on in what was always going to be a battle in midfield, personally I would have brought on Nyambe at right back and pushed Bennet into midfield, but that might have involved playing too many players in there preferred positions.

That's a good shout and perhaps one that should have been considered by TM.  I was shocked to see Johnson go off as him and Travis have done well in solidifying our midfield.

I had to watch this back as upon live viewing the terrible kit clash and the often awful far out camera angle made for one of the worst games I have ever seen on the box EVER so I missed a few things: As I originally thought, the ref WAS a nailed on homer - the first West Brom goal should have been given as a foul bearing in mind what other crap were given as fouls during the game.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

There are reasons why Cunningham and Johnson are no longer needed at Cardiff and Derby and I guess we saw them yesterday. This is not writing them off but we needed much much better than some weird experiment playing Downing and Armstrong on their wrong feet in front of them.

Buckley looking like  an under nourished choirboy is confusing a few people. He was a significant reason why we bossed possession for most of the second half.

Edited by philipl

4 hours ago, rossyrover said:

Should have signed a proper experienced centre half both Lenihan and Williams are converted from other positions.

Hmmm ... Warhurst started as a centre half - then converted to striker - the Kenny master stroke to convert to midfield. Chris Sutton started centre back. So converting players from other positions can work out - and for the previous 3 games both players got good reviews.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/august/lacklustre-first-half-let-us-down/

I find this disappointing as Mowbray doesn't mention the individuals who cost us goals, not even a general comment about the mistakes.

After his recent public calling out of young players it doesn't sit right with me.

Yet again mistakes from experienced players go unmentioned by Mowbray. If Nyambe had been done as easily as Lenihan was I bet there would of been mention of it.

• Like 3

Just now, Ossydave said:

William's was a converted left back

Actually he isn't. He was a centre half who could play full back. The fact we have choose to play left back whilst he has been here is our manager's doing. The fact that his performances at left back have been worse than his performances at centre half back this up.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Actually he isn't. He was a centre half who could play full back. The fact we have choose to play left back whilst he has been here is our manager's doing. The fact that his performances at left back have been worse than his performances at centre half back this up.

Anyone COULD play left back, he is a centre half though

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/august/lacklustre-first-half-let-us-down/

I find this disappointing as Mowbray doesn't mention the individuals who cost us goals, not even a general comment about the mistakes.

After his recent public calling out of young players it doesn't sit right with me.

Surprised he hasn't blamed Rothwell or Reed for their goals.

Only seen the Quest highlights.

All 5 goals came from defensive errors. Ours have been highlighted above aplenty so I won't repeat them, but our high press forced a defensive error for Dack's goal, and our second came from a keeper error.  

So it's not just us that seem to suffer from that malaise, and I agree with Chaddy that Cunningham was fouled for their first, though he should've put it in row Z first rather than try to shield it from the forward.

It's disappointing to lose, especially when scoring 2 goals, having one disallowed & hitting the post away from home. Individual errors, missing from the last three games, came back to haunt us and they need to be cut out.

I think the international break comes at a good time for us.  Johnson & Downing are looking leggy, and it gives TM time to work in training on making a proper defensive unit of our back 5 options and work out the best way to get the most out of our undoubted attacking options.

There are definitely positives to carry forwards (esp the likes of Travis, Johnson, Downing, Buckley, Cunningham). There's more to be expected from Arma, Gally, BB, Dack, Rothwell, Graham and I think that will come. The main negatives for me are not working the oppo's keeper enough despite possession, Arma being underwhelming, a lack of game time for Rothwell & a missing link on the right side of midfield; maybe all 4 could be solved at the same time by playing Rothwell there?

Overall I think 7 out of 18 points is where I would have put us looking at the fixtures; another couple of points wouldn't have gone amiss, but it's no disaster or platform to say TM cannot achieve success with this squad. We're only 3 points off 6th; I think we can kick on after the break and should look towards getting a minimum of 10 points from the next 6 games, at which point I think it would be a fair time to assess how successful we might be this season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Only seen the Quest highlights.

All 5 goals came from defensive errors. Ours have been highlighted above aplenty so I won't repeat them, but our high press forced a defensive error for Dack's goal, and our second came from a keeper error.  

So it's not just us that seem to suffer from that malaise, and I agree with Chaddy that Cunningham was fouled for their first, though he should've put it in row Z first rather than try to shield it from the forward.

It's disappointing to lose, especially when scoring 2 goals, having one disallowed & hitting the post away from home. Individual errors, missing from the last three games, came back to haunt us and they need to be cut out.

I think the international break comes at a good time for us.  Johnson & Downing are looking leggy, and it gives TM time to work in training on making a proper defensive unit of our back 5 options and work out the best way to get the most out of our undoubted attacking options.

There are definitely positives to carry forwards (esp the likes of Travis, Johnson, Downing, Buckley, Cunningham). There's more to be expected from Arma, Gally, BB, Dack, Rothwell, Graham and I think that will come. The main negatives for me are not working the oppo's keeper enough despite possession, Arma being underwhelming, a lack of game time for Rothwell & a missing link on the right side of midfield; maybe all 4 could be solved at the same time by playing Rothwell there?

Overall I think 7 out of 18 points is where I would have put us looking at the fixtures; another couple of points wouldn't have gone amiss, but it's no disaster or platform to say TM cannot achieve success with this squad. We're only 3 points off 6th; I think we can kick on after the break and should look towards getting a minimum of 10 points from the next 6 games, at which point I think it would be a fair time to assess how successful we might be this season.

We're only 3 points off 6th because we've only played 6 games!

7 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Just seen the highlights - the defending from both Cunningham and Lenihan for the two goals was absolutely pitiful. Cunningham’ll fit right in here if he keeps that up.

I fear they are being told not to commit and try and get a foot on the ball with this alleged new style of keep ball play instead of just winning it or clearing it first time.

Far too much needless dawdling about at the back yesterday for some reason.

Just now, tomphil said:

I fear they are being told not to commit and try and get a foot on the ball with this alleged new style of keep ball play instead of just winning it or clearing it first time.

Some of our players simply aren't good enough to play that way. There have been several incidents this season that have resulted in us almost losing possession deep in our own half and penalty area.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

Well if anyone can beat anyone then surely it makes as much sense to say that all the games are tough? Nonsense comment, there will always be better, fitter, more consistent, more tactically astute, or more technically gifted teams in comparison to others. Unfortunately we are none of those so we can’t expect to put the lines of WBA in their place. 

A more even-contest means that we have nothing to fear from anyone in this league.

Not quite the same as visiting teams who have spent £500m+ more than you.

Just now, arbitro said:

Some of our players simply aren't good enough to play that way. There have been several incidents this season that have resulted in us almost losing possession deep in our own half and penalty area.

Agree and whilst i understand they want to keep possession a bit more it does invite trouble not many teams 'football' their way around this div as other sides know if they press and pressure they'll cause problems. Too many average players who aren't comfortable doing it i also find it a ironic they adapt this style which needs a keeper more involved on the edge of his box etc when they've got rid of the guy who was supposed to be good at that and replaced him with a bigger unit supposedly to command his 6 yard box.

More arse and elbow thinking !

Just now, tomphil said:

Mowbray said after the game that Cunningham should have cleared it.

Lenihan should have clear the ball instead of doing what he did. Basic comman sense. 

But lets blame Mowbray when we dont know what he says to the players