BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Away

11 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Just watching the highlights, what the hell is Walton doing rooted to his line as Cunningham is trying to shield it back to him? Surely he should be taking charge of that situation.

Walton was never getting there. He actually signals for Cunningham to knock it away.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I don’t think you do see the ‘big picture’ Atko. 

You seem to think these young players will keep improving and fulfil their potential, ergo improving the side. Many a young player simply doesn’t kick on. 

The top end players that should be there to supplement said young lads can quickly end up over the hill - prime example Mulgrew, and unfortunately Graham seems to be heading that way, or they leave - could well be Dack’s last season. You are then back to square one, hoping the next batch of young lads improve and we carry on ad infinitum with this ‘slow build ‘ that never actually builds.

‘This time next year Rodders...’

Can't argue with most of that, though I've never said or implied let's just rely on kids who are in the first team now, or on those coming through the Academy. I think we have a right to expect 1 or 2 a season to make the grade, but it's been about blending youth with experience, reinvesting sale proceeds wisely and rebuilding the club from the bottom up.

Fortunately we can do that because for all their multitude of mistakes, at least Venkys kept paying to keep Cat 1 academy status.

44 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Walton was never getting there. He actually signals for Cunningham to knock it away.

Agreed. It was all on Cunningham. Stupid thing was he looked up and almost encouraged Walton to come despite being on his line. He should have already cleared it by then, or immediately done it at this point.

it was obvious that Walton/defence had been asked to play out from the back yesterday. None looked Comfortable doing it, and most times we almost immediately lost the ball and put ourselves in trouble. You could see and hear the confusion on their faces and how they gesticulated to each other.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Anyone stating that Buckley wasn't great - he changed the game completely. 

Those saying he's too lightweight, he doesn't need to use strength to dribble round players effortlessly - he doesn't hold back on tackles either.

He was probably one of our best players yesterday - bar 1 or 2 mistakes.

Key players made 3 mistakes that led to goals.

Buckley should be starting games - he's shown to me and a lot of people he's ready - Sheffield United shows this too.

Size has nothing to do with it.  Once took my girl friends father who was destined to become father in law, poor sod, to watch Derby v Chrystal palace when Brian Clough and Bert Head where respective managers, as we happened to be near Derby at the time.  Teams came out for warm up, Palace players big, sun tanned and looked like proper athletes. Derby team, small, pale and looked totally unlike athletes should. Girl friends father said Forrest are going to get murdered.  Just wait said I.

Game began and little Archie Gemmill, John O’Hare and Kevin Hector just ran the show.  Couldn’t stop smiling at the final whistle.

None of those where hardly massive stature.

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

I agree that the first goal was all on Cunningham, the second on Arma and the third on Lenihan (top finish by Phillips mind).

Just watched Sky's highlights on YouTube. So biased, they show none of our second half chances but 3 if WBA's. Don't know why I'm surprised though...

There was actually more blame on the 2nd goal. Lenihan just stood there in the box watching the player lay it off to Livermore once it had come back off the bar. He should have been out straight away to close it down. Johnson should have been marking Livermore. All far to casual and easy for them.

Just now, SamTheLeedsRover said:

There was actually more blame on the 2nd goal. Lenihan just stood there in the box watching the player lay it off to Livermore once it had come back off the bar. He should have been out straight away to close it down. Johnson should have been marking Livermore. All far to casual and easy for them.

It's a bit harder to defend a second ball when it pings back off the crossbar and lands at the feet of an opponent, but I take your point. The key is to stop it arriving in the first place, and Arma was close enough to the ball when it was pulled back to have cut out the cross-shot had he been more alert to the obvious danger.

The real question is as the team progressed over the last three saeson  .  Everyweek its the same old  story we where sloppy at the back players switched off . When will the penny drop  Bennett isn't a right back he's a midfielder,  Lenihan isn't  a centre half he's a holding midfielder , Armstrong  isn't  a winger he's a forward thats  3 square pegs in 3 round holes  on Saturday  so thats one of the reason we can't  put results  together . What kind of team as TM  put together are we a team who passes the ball quickly presses and battles for every ball and gets plenty of crosses in from our wingers for the forwards to get on the end of  ( I wish ) . Are we a team who play from the back with players who struggle with the ball  and a midfield with an ageing  Johnson . Travis a shining  light, Gallagher  or Armstrong  on the right wing both strickers  an ageing Downing on the left   Dack who go's  missing in games and Graham up front so have we progressed ?  

My team no square  pegs in round holes in  this lot  Walton . Rankin . Tosin. Williams . Cunningham . Rothwell . Johnson .Travis . Chapman . Dack . Garham  .  Would like to see Lenihan moved in to midfield  if Johnson is injured  and Buckley for Dack if he goes missing  and Gallagher  for Graham 70 mins  Armstrong  for Rothwell or Chapman  easy really

• Like 1

Buckley is technically good but I dont see where you could justify starting him. Made his first couple of appearances central but unfortunately far too lightweight. Presumably that played a part in puttting him further forward but not sure he does anything in terms of goal threat or more specifically creating chances.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rigger said:

They created and missed as many chances as us in the second half. But that still does not alter the fact that Buckley did not change the game. We were losing when he came on, we ended up losing ! 

Buckley really looked the part, as did Travis, as would JRC if Tony had played him instead of the ineffective Armstrong.

We looked infinitely better with Buckley on the field. So many players went missing in the first half, but we bossed the second.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley is technically good but I dont see where you could justify starting him. Made his first couple of appearances central but unfortunately far too lightweight. Presumably that played a part in puttting him further forward but not sure he does anything in terms of goal threat or more specifically creating chances.

You dont see where you could justify starting him? How about on the right of the 3 behind the striker. 

Second best player againat WBA

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

Size has nothing to do with it.  Once took my girl friends father who was destined to become father in law, poor sod, to watch Derby v Chrystal palace when Brian Clough and Bert Head where respective managers, as we happened to be near Derby at the time.  Teams came out for warm up, Palace players big, sun tanned and looked like proper athletes. Derby team, small, pale and looked totally unlike athletes should. Girl friends father said Forrest are going to get murdered.  Just wait said I.

Game began and little Archie Gemmill, John O’Hare and Kevin Hector just ran the show.  Couldn’t stop smiling at the final whistle.

Let's hope he turns out to be the next Gemmill!

• Like 2

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17874018.dack-reveals-words-exchanged-rovers-dressing-room/

I thought something had gone on as we were a few minutes late coming out for the second half. Sometimes a manager has to sit back and let the players rant at each other and it looks like this was the case. It certainly helped as we were far better in the second half.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Amo said:

How does a shirker like Armstrong walk into the first XI but Rothwell and Chapman are hung out to dry?

Not speaking to Rothwell here, but Chapman shouldn't be getting into this team.

He's got no work ethic, never tracks back, has a massive attitude even in games at Leyland and is clearly an issue in the dressing room. He's not injured, yet playing 23's football, and I think that says a lot. In those 23's games he gets so aggressive. We played Wolves at home, and his temper basically led to two red cards, as addressed by the opposition commentators.

Rothwell, sure, much better than AA for me.

11 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

Scott Sellar was 9 stone dripping wet but one of the best midfielders in a league more physical than this one.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Not speaking to Rothwell here, but Chapman shouldn't be getting into this team.

He's got no work ethic, never tracks back, has a massive attitude even in games at Leyland and is clearly an issue in the dressing room. He's not injured, yet playing 23's football, and I think that says a lot. In those 23's games he gets so aggressive. We played Wolves at home, and his temper basically led to two red cards, as addressed by the opposition commentators.

Rothwell, sure, much better than AA for me.

All that points to him being frustrated by lack of first team opportunities by the sounds of it, it's about time he had some.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You dont see where you could justify starting him? How about on the right of the 3 behind the striker. 

Second best player againat WBA

As I said in the post you quoted, he is technically good but he hasnt actually created anything of note in his cameos in the first team. Even against Oldham he was incredibly ineffective. I suspect that he is only played further forward to make his lack of physicality less of an issue.

In that second half we didnt really pose a substantial threat and I dont recall him creating a chance.

Not seeing a team developing towards a play off push from the first 6 games. Our inability to create clear cut chances or offer a goal threat is a huge concern and Gallagher wont do anything to rectify that. Meanwhile, any hopes that our collapses away from home are a thing of the past have been put to bed.

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As I said in the post you quoted, he is technically good but he hasnt actually created anything of note in his cameos in the first team. Even against Oldham he was incredibly ineffective. I suspect that he is only played further forward to make his lack of physicality less of an issue.

In that second half we didnt really pose a substantial threat and I dont recall him creating a chance.

Not seeing a team developing towards a play off push from the first 6 games. Our inability to create clear cut chances or offer a goal threat is a huge concern and Gallagher wont do anything to rectify that. Meanwhile, any hopes that our collapses away from home are a thing of the past have been put to bed.

Against Sheff Utd as many people who went has posted he was good. Compare to players like Armstrong or Rothwell who were poor. 

Making 3 mistakes/lazy defending by certain players(Armstrong/Johnson) is the reason for the collapse.

Well Gallagher will score goals if we actually chances for him. Think Rich Sharpe reported Gallagher only touch the ball twice in the game.  

• Backroom

A foul would be given in that situation 99% of the time, we had two players impeding the goalkeeper so I don't see how we can cry unfair treatment there. We already got away with one against Hull. Wonder if Mowbray is instructing the players to do this?

• Like 2