BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Away

Just now, DE. said:

A foul would be given in that situation 99% of the time, we had two players impeding the goalkeeper so I don't see how we can cry unfair treatment there. We already got away with one against Hull. Wonder if Mowbray is instructing the players to do this?

Spot on.

Mowbray is sending in the 'shorter' players to impede the keeper hoping to get away with it sometimes, which we clearly did at Hull.

If Graham or Gallagher were doing it we would have no discussion.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17874018.dack-reveals-words-exchanged-rovers-dressing-room/

I thought something had gone on as we were a few minutes late coming out for the second half. Sometimes a manager has to sit back and let the players rant at each other and it looks like this was the case. It certainly helped as we were far better in the second half.

Words were exchanged at half time and we brought Rothwell on.

Will he start the next game? Probably not.

Mowbray keeps making the same mistakes and just when you think he has learnt, he goes backwards. Then everyone seems shocked when the performances suffer.

We’ll be having this same debate week in week out until Mowbray stops trying to keep everyone happy with his squad rotation strategy. How long til we see Evans or even Smallwood back in the first team in some I’ll-judged ‘back to basics’ approach?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Against Sheff Utd as many people who went has posted he was good. Compare to players like Armstrong or Rothwell who were poor. 

Making 3 mistakes/lazy defending by certain players(Armstrong/Johnson) is the reason for the collapse.

Well Gallagher will score goals if we actually chances for him. Think Rich Sharpe reported Gallagher only touch the ball twice in the game.  

No point debating a game neither of us have seen. For me he looks like a central midfielder who needs to be become capable of stamping his authority on games.

Theres more to it than individual mistakes (although Armstrong is a repeat offender and Mowbrays assertion that his "cross country like running going back" last season makes him a safer pick than Rothwell is utter rubbish) we often capitulate away from home like on Saturday.

That stat is still somewhat galling in terms of Gallaghers ability to get involved in play, but whilst I dont rate him nor think hes come close to his first league goal our attacking failings are across the board and this new attractivr style is nowhere to be seen.

1 hour ago, savage90 said:

Views on the disallowed goal? I thought it was weak goalkeeping and kind from the ref.

As much as I want to agree with you, when I saw it, it does look a foul. If the Rovers player (Lenihan?) had jumped into a centre half who was going up to head the ball like that it would have been a free kick.

Edited by Hasta

Watched the highlights again.

Oh dear- we were horrible for all three goals.

Many thanks to the Baggies for our two but we were over generous in return.

Actually very unusual to see a game of five goals without a sinlge "proper" goal scored by either side.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

This league his very poor and the teams who do well are organized ones . Look at  the spine of the Rovers team Walton , Williams , Johnson and Graham a very experienced spine and good enough  for this league . So wheres TM going wrong Bennett and  Lenihan are midfielders  Gallagher , Armstrong  , are forwards and they are all playing out of position . If we are going to keep playing this way its going to be a long hard season . If we are to move forward  as a club TM needs to be brave a get more young lads in  Rankin , Tosin  in to the back four and  move  Lenihan  into midfield  Rothwell and Chapman on to the wings or Could Travis be moved out wide and have a midfield  of Chapman Lenihan Johnson and Travis.  Dack and Graham upfront  and a back four of , Rankin, Tosin , Williams and Cunningham  something needs to give its the same everyweek silly mistakes  and players switching  off

• Like 2

I was astounded by how many fans in the away end Saturday, disagreed with me and some mates, in respect of how bad Armstrong and Bennett are, and how ineffective Gallagher is on the wing. I really do not know what people are watching, it's like they are watching completely different players at times, and well if you criticise the team that's it, smarmy comments all game "ha thought Armstrong was shite" when he passed a ball, or "Gallagher shouldn't have been taken off" when subbed and "Bennett is our most passionate player and a leader, he is first on the team sheet" well he must be brilliant then.

Edited by AAK

2 hours ago, stinny1 said:

This league his very poor and the teams who do well are organized ones . Look at  the spine of the Rovers team Walton , Williams , Johnson and Graham a very experienced spine and good enough  for this league . So wheres TM going wrong Bennett and  Lenihan are midfielders  Gallagher , Armstrong  , are forwards and they are all playing out of position . If we are going to keep playing this way its going to be a long hard season . If we are to move forward  as a club TM needs to be brave a get more young lads in  Rankin , Tosin  in to the back four and  move  Lenihan  into midfield  Rothwell and Chapman on to the wings or Could Travis be moved out wide and have a midfield  of Chapman Lenihan Johnson and Travis.  Dack and Graham upfront  and a back four of , Rankin, Tosin , Williams and Cunningham  something needs to give its the same everyweek silly mistakes  and players switching  off

No way that Lenihan is a competent Championship midfielder, he is really poor on the ball and his aeriel ability and bravery would be somewhat wasted there. I wasnt impressed at all with him when he broke into the side in midfield when he was struggling to push ahead of Lowe, Akpan et al. He is definitely a centre back for me, but hes one who always has a big mistake in him, he can be colossal but he is often rash and gets rushes of blood to the head.  You are also suggesting moving Travis wide to make room for him?

Seems a bit remiss to ask for Bennett to be dropped at right back to then play another midfielder there, surely Nyambe is our only actual right back?

Armstrong is an enigma, when he does play up front he looks totally ineffective, v Hull he couldnt time his runs correctly and was forever offside, and when he did got through he never looked like scoring.

2 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I wanna see this team: 352

Walton

--Tosin-Lenihan-Williams--

JRC------------------Downing

-Buckley Travis Rothwell-

----Dack

-------------Gallagher

Balanced and creative.

Worth a shot I think. Only drawback is can Downing get up and down (but then I suppose you could drop Cunningham in there)? Also dropping Johnson would be a big move. But then you could drop one of Buckley or Rothwell and accommodate him.

Overall looks a decent setup to me. I don't think the 4231 is working out as planned tbh.

Edited by joey_big_nose

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Seems a bit remiss to ask for Bennett to be dropped at right back to then play another midfielder there, surely Nyambe is our only actual right back?

Rankin Costello has been playing right wing back for the under 23's so hardly remiss 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No point debating a game neither of us have seen. For me he looks like a central midfielder who needs to be become capable of stamping his authority on games.

Theres more to it than individual mistakes (although Armstrong is a repeat offender and Mowbrays assertion that his "cross country like running going back" last season makes him a safer pick than Rothwell is utter rubbish) we often capitulate away from home like on Saturday.

That stat is still somewhat galling in terms of Gallaghers ability to get involved in play, but whilst I dont rate him nor think hes come close to his first league goal our attacking failings are across the board and this new attractivr style is nowhere to be seen.

why no point when we read the match reports, seen match highlights and what posters on here posted on here? 

Well you seen the goals since the game and we were both there aswell and all 3 goals came from daft stupid mistakes and laziness by 2 players(Armstrong and Johnson)

When service is so poor to Gallagher what do you expect? if it had been Graham you would not blame Graham and blame the other players so why the inconsistence opinion?

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I wanna see this team: 352

Walton

--Tosin-Lenihan-Williams--

JRC------------------Downing

-Buckley Travis Rothwell-

----Dack

-------------Gallagher

Balanced and creative.

It’s the same old problem and why it’s never worked with these players.  You need a back three who are quick and comfortable on the ball, I’ve not seen Toisin properly but the other two have consistently showed us they have neither quality.....if Mowbray had have improved the defence like he should have done, then your mate might get a game.  It’s been tried and I believe Mowbray would prefer it but he’s a safe manager and he knows his defenders are shit.  Buckley should go Bolton on loan. Perfect move for him at this stage 

53 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It’s the same old problem and why it’s never worked with these players.  You need a back three who are quick and comfortable on the ball, I’ve not seen Toisin properly but the other two have consistently showed us they have neither quality.....if Mowbray had have improved the defence like he should have done, then your mate might get a game.  It’s been tried and I believe Mowbray would prefer it but he’s a safe manager and he knows his defenders are shit.  Buckley should go Bolton on loan. Perfect move for him at this stage 

Agree apart from the Buckley bit although it seems he's down for the guaranteed last 15 min sub this season whatever is happening similar to Brereton last season.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rankin Costello has been playing right wing back for the under 23's so hardly remiss 

why no point when we read the match reports, seen match highlights and what posters on here posted on here? 

Well you seen the goals since the game and we were both there aswell and all 3 goals came from daft stupid mistakes and laziness by 2 players(Armstrong and Johnson)

When service is so poor to Gallagher what do you expect? if it had been Graham you would not blame Graham and blame the other players so why the inconsistence opinion?

Elliott Bennett is not a right back but hes played every game for the senior team there. We dont play wing backs but my point was that it seems strange to suggest that players are being played out of position then suggest other players that arent naturals in that position either.

Totally appreciate that players made individual errors in the lead up to goals but the point is that we saw similar away meltdowns last season, at Brentford, at Bristol City, at Rotherham, at Swansea, at Preston, at Sheffield Wednesday. Repeated goals going in, often in quick batches. You could go through each of them games, and say x y and z were responsible for the goals. But the common theme is us being a soft touch on the road. I got a feeling of de ja vu on Saturday.

I dont think that any of our attacking players have done much this season. Graham didnt have very good service all last season, he got player of the season working with very litte. As an impact sub he has zero worth, he either starts regularly or seems to struggle for momentum. I have huge issues with the money we have blown on 3 attackers, none of whom have shown themselves as credible alternatives, which is a huge concern considering Grahams age. Mowbrays recruitment in this key area has been embarassingly poor.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Elliott Bennett is not a right back but hes played every game for the senior team there. We dont play wing backs but my point was that it seems strange to suggest that players are being played out of position then suggest other players that arent naturals in that position either.

Totally appreciate that players made individual errors in the lead up to goals but the point is that we saw similar away meltdowns last season, at Brentford, at Bristol City, at Rotherham, at Swansea, at Preston, at Sheffield Wednesday. Repeated goals going in, often in quick batches. You could go through each of them games, and say x y and z were responsible for the goals. But the common theme is us being a soft touch on the road. I got a feeling of de ja vu on Saturday.

I dont think that any of our attacking players have done much this season. Graham didnt have very good service all last season, he got player of the season working with very litte. As an impact sub he has zero worth, he either starts regularly or seems to struggle for momentum. I have huge issues with the money we have blown on 3 attackers, none of whom have shown themselves as credible alternatives, which is a huge concern considering Grahams age. Mowbrays recruitment in this key area has been embarassingly poor.

Nyambe isnt good enough and Bennett has been good enough at right back this season. 

Rankin Costello has played right back/wing back over the 12 months for under 23's. 

The 3 goals were down to mistakes and lack of effort as I highlighted after the game. All 4 players should know better given their experience. 

I wouldnt start Graham as we go direct and for me we should be moving away from that now given the attacking players we got. His role should be from the bench

Felt sorry for Gallagher on Saturday as the service was poor. Mowbray needs to be working on Gallagher and Dack partnership before the Millwall home game. 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

You just want a reaction, right? 

No I dont want a reaction. Thats my opinion Sparks Rover. Im a fan of Bennett at right back.  @roversfan99 and @PeteJD13 can back up my opinion on Bennett on Right back as its something we discuss off this site

Edited by chaddyrovers

Bennett has been poor at right back. Which isn’t that surprising as he isn’t a right back by trade.

He’s a League One midfielder but Mowbray has made a rod for his own back by making him captain. In my view, he could have been a ceremonial club captain but the team captain needs to not be one of the more limited footballers playing out of position. Although that’s probably the message Mowbray wants to send out, since playing square pegs in round holes has been a feature of his tenure.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nyambe isnt good enough and Bennett has been good enough at right back this season. 

Rankin Costello has played right back/wing back over the 12 months for under 23's. 

The 3 goals were down to mistakes and lack of effort as I highlighted after the game. All 4 players should know better given their experience. 

I wouldnt start Graham as we go direct and for me we should be moving away from that now given the attacking players we got. His role should be from the bench

Felt sorry for Gallagher on Saturday as the service was poor. Mowbray needs to be working on Gallagher and Dack partnership before the Millwall home game. 

Why was Nyambe given a new contract only a few months ago then? 

As far as I'm concerned there has to be some collective responsibility and blame for the goals against rather than just pointing at individual errors. Such errors tend to be more common in the teams that are poorly coached or have players not good enough.

• Like 1

The Party line is that the goals were down to individual errors, as Mowbray says: 'They were more individual errors than a case of the team's shape or organisation'. Hell, this time he even names and shames some Seniors.

It's not the fault of Mowbray or any coaches and never is. Nothing is ever Mowbray's fault, he's made a career out of the blame game.

I thought this had peaked at Coventry where his total FU led to him walking, naturally citing his honesty and integrity, but apparently not.

Get with the Programme people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I dont want a reaction. Thats my opinion Sparks Rover. Im a fan of Bennett at right back.  @roversfan99 and @PeteJD13 can back up my opinion on Bennett on Right back as its something we discuss off this site

So, him being roasted by every half decent winger is ok is it? He hasn’t got the first clue how to defend a one on one situation so god knows how you come to that view.  Although, judging by your history on here, you do like to go against the majority......

I think in the case of Nyambie he's got the young player scapegoat treatment last season but they gave him a new deal before he went away to the International tournament in case he had a good one and there was a potential buyer.

Either way he's gone backwards although he'd flat lined a bit but young players do at certain points. Both him and Bennett should be playing second fiddle to a proper right back i think that's a given in most fair minded fans eyes. Sadly we don't do things that way at Rovers we mess about, juggle about and try and fit square pieces into round holes constantly whilst splurging millions stocking up the bench with non scoring strikers.

A loan away for 6 months would do Nyambie good if he got regular action i think but then god knows who he'd stick as back up right back.