BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

European Champions League 2019/20

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Champs League finally finished out its round of 16 games a few days ago. 

City easily beat Real Madrid. 2-1 in both legs. The scores look closer than it really was. Real were never at the races. I was struck at how badly Hazard played though. 

Juventus beat Lyon 2-1 but lost out on away goals. Sarri got the boot within hours of the end of the game. Will Ronaldo stick around? They are the undisputed kings of Italy but fall short in Europe every year. 

Barcelona, well Messi, beat Napoli who looked off the pace.

Bayern thumped Chelsea. Lampard needs a new back 4, yet he keeps looking for attacking midfielders.

There were some very iffy VAR decisions across the games. If VAR is here to stay it really does need changing to sort it out.

The last 8 mini tournament is in Lisbon. Quarter final games are Wed-Sat this week.

Atalanta - PSG

Atletico - RB Leipzig

Barcelona - Bayern

City - Lyon

Atalanta and RB Leipzig wee worth a watch before lockdown who knows how they will fair this week.

Forza Atalanta! Really hope they beat PSG. They're a fantastic team to watch and, despite finishing a few points off the top in the league, I'd say they're the strongest Italian team at the moment. They're by miles the best to watch. Unfortunately they're missing their first-choice goalkeeper and also Ilicic who's a great player. Still got the wonderful Papu Gomez, who's a lovely little player.

You'd expect Bayern to beat Barca who were poor even in victory in midweek, Bayern have pretty much been smashing everybody since football restarted, but in a one-off game with Messi involved you never know.

Hope Lyon can repeat what they did to City last season, but you'd expect City to win...

• Like 2

Europa League but this Copenhagen keeper is blummin amazing. 

Let’s find out what he has for breakfast and give it to whoever we end up with.

Utd cheating their way through with a soft penalty, quelle surprise..

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 12:39, frosty said:

Forza Atalanta! Really hope they beat PSG. They're a fantastic team to watch and, despite finishing a few points off the top in the league, I'd say they're the strongest Italian team at the moment. They're by miles the best to watch. Unfortunately they're missing their first-choice goalkeeper and also Ilicic who's a great player. Still got the wonderful Papu Gomez, who's a lovely little player.

You'd expect Bayern to beat Barca who were poor even in victory in midweek, Bayern have pretty much been smashing everybody since football restarted, but in a one-off game with Messi involved you never know.

Hope Lyon can repeat what they did to City last season, but you'd expect City to win...

Atalanta were unlucky. PSG were on their way to another defeat. The game changed when Mbappe came on. He is some player. Gomez went off injured too. Neymar annoys me to no end too. An exceptional talent, but also a diva of the highest order.

Leipzig beat Atletico 2-1. A late deflected goal put them through. They were the better side. I admire how Simeone sets up a team but despise the antics that he and his players constantly do. Liverpool should have put them out but blew it badly. 

On 13/08/2020 at 22:19, speeeeeeedie said:

Atalanta were unlucky. PSG were on their way to another defeat. The game changed when Mbappe came on. He is some player. Gomez went off injured too. Neymar annoys me to no end too. An exceptional talent, but also a diva of the highest order.

I was gutted for Atalanta. So close to getting the win. They were absolutely knackered by the end though - Gómez off injured, Hateboer (I think it was) injured and on the pitch just to make up the numbers. Once PSG equalised, it was either they score again to win in normal time (like they did) or they’d have got at least a couple in extra time. Bringing Mbappé off the bench, even if he’s not fully fit, is almost unfair.

I don’t like Neymar at all but he was excellent, despite missing a couple of good chances. I’d forgotten just how good he is at dribbling, almost impossible to stop.

Still can’t believe what happened tonight. Barcelona losing 8-2. Madness. It’s been coming though - they’ve been thumped in one game in each of the last three or four CL seasons, albeit nothing on tonight’s scale. But their recruitment has been absolutely dreadful and they’ve paid the price.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 1

Barcelona just couldn't match the intensity with which Bayern played. The high press was excellent and several Barcelona players just gave up. One of the reasons I ignore possession stats was perfectly highlighted in this game. According to the BBC Barcelona had 51% possession...........but lost 8-2 and were abject.

Whenever I hear losing managers mention possession in some form of justification I know they are hiding behind them.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Barcelona though, what a shambles they are at the moment. Was reading before about a load of their directors resigning too.

They’ve squandered loads of money on big money signings that haven’t delivered/been badly managed or injured a lot. 
The obvious alarm bell for me was when they sold a young lad in Arthur to Juventus in a swap deal for Pjanic who’s 30 years old! 
There’s too much focus and reliance on Messi and while he’s obviously outstanding, he needs more support.

Couldn’t help but have a bit of a snigger at Coutinho coming off the bench and bagging two for Bayern against his parent club....

• Like 1

All very familiar...

6 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I saw o e headline saying Pique is demanding changes. Bye then, you over rated wind bag. Barcelona have been ignoring their defence for years, and this is the result in spunking billions on the subs bench with attackers like Dembele and Griezmann.

⬆️ Mowbray, Brereton, Gallagher

19 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Barcelona though, what a shambles they are at the moment. Was reading before about a load of their directors resigning too.

They’ve squandered loads of money on big money signings that haven’t delivered/been badly managed or injured a lot. 
The obvious alarm bell for me was when they sold a young lad in Arthur to Juventus in a swap deal for Pjanic who’s 30 years old! 
There’s too much focus and reliance on Messi and while he’s obviously outstanding, he needs more support.

Couldn’t help but have a bit of a snigger at Coutinho coming off the bench and bagging two for Bayern against his parent club....

⬆️ Williams, Finn, Goodman, Matthewman, Silk, Desai 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Barca will pay Liverpool £5 million if Coutinho wins the CL with Bayern. I kid you not.

They’ll never recover unless that clown President Bartomeu leaves. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

7 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I saw o e headline saying Pique is demanding changes. Bye then, you over rated wind bag. Barcelona have been ignoring their defence for years, and this is the result in spunking billions on the subs bench with attackers like Dembele and Griezmann.

Pique has won the World Cup, the European Championship and 3 Champions Leagues so is hardly overrated. He has had an outstanding career.

12 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Pique has won the World Cup, the European Championship and 3 Champions Leagues so is hardly overrated. He has had an outstanding career.

He's been good, but the lack of self awareness in having a go at others is what I was having a go at. And remember, David May won quite a few medals in his career despite being rubbish, and there are probably others. Barcelona have always been weak in defence, even when Pep was manager. They don't have the players in midfield to keep the ball for 90 minutes to stop the other team getting at them any more.

14 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

City out. Lyon were a ridiculous 12/1 before the game.

Shame in a way, as would have liked to watch City vs Bayern.

You are mildly amused to see it.

I put a cool £50 on Lyon, I might have to ask Mercer for his wine list 

• Like 3

Just now, Kie_BRFC said:

I put a cool £50 on Lyon, I might have to ask Mercer for his wine list 

I used a £3.50 free bet. You win.

Is that a Tosin back on the menu boys?

Likely another quarter of a billion being spent by City now.

Maybe they can make the semis.

• Like 2