BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

European Champions League 2019/20

19 minutes ago, bazza said:

Spoiler.........

I see it's half time and this forecasted goalfest hasn't produced one yet.

So what did I have a bet on? Both teams score and a Bayern win.

Why do I bother? I think they are laughing at me behind their masks every time I go into William Hills. Fair do's really.

Edited by Elvis Biro
grammar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

haven't watch of the European competitions all season. 

I didn't even know when the finals would be played or where. 

No idea of their squad or even who was the Bayern coach until I google it. 

How was the final? exciting, good game to watch or boring?

Snoozefest for the most part - both teams sloppy in defence and fairly impotent in attack. The Europa final was a much better game. 

Neymar was at his usual antics of jumping on the floor and screaming every time someone breathed on him so I'm happy enough with the outcome. Neymar and PSG are the embodiment of everything wrong in modern football imo.

20 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Snoozefest for the most part - both teams sloppy in defence and fairly impotent in attack. The Europa final was a much better game. 

Neymar was at his usual antics of jumping on the floor and screaming every time someone breathed on him so I'm happy enough with the outcome. Neymar and PSG are the embodiment of everything wrong in modern football imo.

Thanks for the reply. 

Who was in the Europa Final team wise and who was the stand out players?

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Who was in the Europa Final team wise and who was the stand out players?

Sevilla beat Inter 3-2 in a fairly end to end, entertaining affair, especially in the first half. Lukaku started well and won a penalty with a run from his own half 2 mins in but was pretty anonymous besides that. Luuk de Jong scored 2 very well taken headers but tbh I though it was Sevilla's wide players that made the most difference. Jesus Navas and Sergio Reguilon were much. much better than their counterparts and Ashley Young just allowed so many crosses to come in from his side. 

However, it wasn't without controversy as Diego Carlos possibly could have seen red for the penalty incident as whilst the last man rules have changed he didn't really go for the ball. It was him who then gambled with a bicycle kick which Lukaku diverted into his own net for the winner. Sevilla looked the better, more composed team overall though and I don't think they get the credit they deserve despite winning the trophy every time they've reached the quarters. Inter made their attacking changes (Moses, Eriksen, Sanchez) waaay to late for them to be remotely effective and have a touch of the dramatic about them.

Edited by RTM08
  • Like 2

Quite a few of the games in both competitions have been very good spectacles. The second half tonight was very watchable, the first half much more cagey. Some superb passes and bits of play amidst it, Thiago ran the show, Bayern as a team are outstanding, Neymar didnt turn up, nor did Mbappe bar one superb pass himself at the end. The Champions League I find a very entertaining competition. Far more watchable than the Premier League on average as you would expect.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Sevilla beat Inter 3-2 in a fairly end to end, entertaining affair, especially in the first half. Lukaku started well and won a penalty with a run from his own half 2 mins in but was pretty anonymous besides that. Luuk de Jong scored 2 very well taken headers but tbh I though it was Sevilla's wide players that made the most difference. Jesus Navas and Sergio Reguilon were much. much better than their counterparts and Ashley Young just allowed so many crosses to come in from his side. 

However, it wasn't without controversy as Diego Carlos possibly could have seen red for the penalty incident as whilst the last man rules have changed he didn't really go for the ball. It was him who then gambled with a bicycle kick which Lukaku diverted into his own net for the winner. Sevilla looked the better, more composed team overall though and I don't think they get the credit they deserve despite winning the trophy every time they've reached the quarters. Inter made their attacking changes (Moses, Eriksen, Sanchez) waaay to late for them to be remotely effective and have a touch of the dramatic about them.

Thanks for such a detail report. I haven't watched the European club competitions properly for few years now.. I used to see the odd bits of Liverpool games but thats why only I was working in Haydock so plenty of Liverpool fans there watching the games.  I don't have the interested in the competitions anymore to watch it regular now. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Honestly @chaddyrovers as a big fan of football as I know you are, you are missing out on some top quality players and some fascinating games. Tonight probably wasnt the best example (finals are often like that) but even then it was very watchable. 

And Neymar was crying at the end. No sweeter sight.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Honestly @chaddyrovers as a big fan of football as I know you are, you are missing out on some top quality players and some fascinating games. Tonight probably wasnt the best example (finals are often like that) but even then it was very watchable. 

And Neymar was crying at the end. No sweeter sight.

I don't have any interest in watching it to be honestly. 

Plus in the coming season I would imagine I watching Rovers playing midweek. or watching a game from Premier League or the EFL which in all honestly interest me alot more. 

I watch very little European football as don’t have BT, and to be honest seeing the cartel clubs playing and further enriching each other year in year out at the expense of the competitiveness of domestic football does little for me.

However I remembered at the last minute that BT have to show the final free of charge so I found it on their YouTube channel... they don’t advertise that fact very widely though, strangely enough ^_^

9 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

PSG need a goal but don't throw on Icardi for the last 20 mins,i've not seen him play much for PSG this season but i remember him being an excellent forward when he was at Inter.Neymar was lacking on the big stage once again.

Indeed, throwing Choupo-Moting on instead of Icardi was bizarre. Icardi would have buried that half chance that Choupo-Moting tried to flick/poke in towards the end.

The PSG forwards just didn't have the bottle when it mattered. Mbappe missed 2 chances that if Brereton missed people would be doing cartwheels in frustration 

Also, is Thomas Mueller the most under rated player in world football? Unbelievable winner 

Didn't like the look of that Lewandowski guy, bit of a diver ;) 

• Like 1

The final certainly wasn't a classic. Bayern were the better team but PSG had some decent chances.

Neymar was very quiet. There was about 5 minutes in the second half where he had the ball close to the touch line near the centre circle and dribbled out of play 3 times in a row. I think he knew that the game was up. Bayern had too much, underlined when they brought on Perisic and Coutinho to PSG's ex Stoke winger Choupo-Moting.

It was an admirable effort to put on the tournament but it certainly lacked the excitement of 2018-19, which I thought was brilliant. 2 legged knock out ties do add interest.

The collective failure of the English teams wasn't good either. Although both made it out of their groups Spurs and Chelsea weren't champs league quality. Both were easily dispatched by German teams. Liverpool conceding in Madrid cost them, and Guardiola's baffling decision to play a different system against Lyon denied what would have been a heavyweight semi final against Bayern. They were much better than Lyon but weren't themselves.