BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

European Champions League 2019/20

30 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Chelsea completely outplayed, 3-0, Bayern.

They were very poor, but Bayern forced them into errors too.

The transfer ban helped Chelsea as it forced Lampard to have to play Abraham, Mount, James, and the like. However, they are still young and need older heads to guide them. Chelsea's older heads aren't good enough. Willian, Kovacic, and Pedro aren't good enough for business end Champions League play.

Not having Kante hurt as well. He does the work of 2 players.

In the other game Barcelona drew 1-1 away at Napoli in an utter bore fest. Expect more of the same in the second leg.

9 hours ago, roverandout said:

The keeper absolutely to blame for Bayern's goal.  When a player heads or throws a ball back to a keeper, why do they have to kick it first time. PICK IT UP. His bad pass has cost them a goal 

The keeper can't pick up the ball direct from a throw in.

The Rovers all too predictable goalless home draw wasn't available over here so I watched Real-City instead.

They were miles better than Madrid. If Mahrez either shot a bit better or wasn't so greedy they could have had a few more too. 

That rogue Sergio Ramos was sent off too. He was protesting away at the decision even though it was a cast iron red card. I do wonder as it wasn't Ramos's usual manhandling if Jesus should have stayed on his feet and slotted in the 3rd. Or did he think that he was in the box and would get a penalty?

Real won't be top dogs again for a while. The 3 in a row winning team is on the way down. Modric, Kroos, Benzema, Ramos, Marcelo, and Bale are all on the back end of their careers. Hazard is a short term stop gap. They do have some good young players, but need a galactico or 2. They'll get them at some point soon. 

4 hours ago, philipl said:

Potential of a last 8 without any of Real, Barcelona or Liverpool.

I imagine Barcelona will get through having got a score draw away from home. If Napoli had nicked a win it would have been different. Never know though.

Juventus are probably more likely to go out than Barça, given how poor they’ve been for a while now. All isn’t well and Sarri had a pop at the players last night. That said, would still expect them to go through too. 

Scores and predictions after leg 1. 

Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Paris Saint-Germain - PSG should win at home and go through. Although they are serial bottlers and can't cope with Haaland.
Real Madrid 1-2 Manchester City - City have too much for Real.
Atalanta 4-1 Valencia - Classic Italian defending will see Atalanta through. Valencia aren't very good either.
Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool - Anybody's tie. If Liverpool score early they'll win easily. If not I can see Simeone's tactically excellent yet aesthetically horrible team sneaking it.
Chelsea 0-3 Bayern Munich - Game over. Chelsea have no chance.
Lyon 1-0 Juventus - Lyon wound Juventus up last night, expect more of the same in Turin. Ronaldo usually turns it on in times like this. Despite Sarri I think Juventus will win. 
Tottenham 0-1 RB Leipzig - on paper Spurs can progress. In reality they are streets behind Leipzig.
Napoli 1-1 Barcelona - Barcelona will rag it through. Messi to score. Thankfully there will be no Busquets to roll around crying all game to waste time.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in a while I did not watch a minute of a Champs League knock out tie.

Both games were foregone conclusions.

Atalanta kept on scoring, and Spurs kept on being terrible.

Today's games will be much closer. Both could go either way. I'd much rather Liverpool progress ahead of Atletcio Madrid. Yes, I am biased toward the English team but as a fan of football I think that Liverpool offer more than Atletico.

• Backroom

Pundits are nearly in tears 

Michael Owen reckons the Atleti players will be in the changing rooms thinking about how good Liverpool are 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Tom said:

Pundits are nearly in tears 

Michael Owen reckons the Atleti players will be in the changing rooms thinking about how good Liverpool are 

So good that they beat them.

If the league gets cancelled because Corona Virus, they’ll have a day of mourning.