BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough (H)

So, what are peeps expectations for this one?

Based off of the Oldham game it's difficult to guess who'll play. Most will agree Cunningham looks better than Bell, but the fact we've shipped Two Goals in all three games so far would suggest perhaps we should be looking to play defensively on Saturday?

Graham up top? What would you go with?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Ive given up trying to put what I would do and then what TM would do - he always completely bamboozles me. Probably have DG on one wing, BB on another and Dack up front or something.

I assume the only guaranteed starters are Walton, Williams, Travis and Cunningham. The other spots are all up for grabs really. DG or SG, JR or AA, SD or BJ etc... and like you say, Mowbray is impossible to predict.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I assume the only guaranteed starters are Walton, Williams, Travis and Cunningham. The other spots are all up for grabs really. DG or SG, JR or AA, SD or BJ etc... and like you say, Mowbray is impossible to predict.

Wouldn't even say Cunningham and Travis are guaranteed. Walton yes, Williams yes (as we have nobody else). 

Pre season and last night have proved that we can forget any formation changes. Its 4231 again this season

His starting 11 will be

Walton

Bennet Tosin Williams Bell

Travis Johnson

Armstrong Dack Gallagher

Graham

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Pre season and last night have proved that we can forget any formation changes. Its 4231 again this season

His starting 11 will be

Walton

Travis Johnson

Armstrong Dack Gallagher

Graham

Surely GC over AB?

• Backroom

What’s interesting is that if you went on a Boro forum a lot of the discussion will be the same.

Two teams desperate to end a bad start and get on the board.

Get an early goal and I think it will be comfortable (at least until we make it nervy in the last 10) however a nervy start could see a bore draw play out 

Edited by Tom

Woodgate seems a daft appointment by Boro - would he have got the job if he hadn't been a Boro lad and former player? It seems they are short of money and are looking for the cheap and cheerful solution like most clubs in the hope it might work. Early signs are that Woodgate is a mistake but they have some potent players who will easily penetrate our soft and useless defence. 

2-2 draw at the very best but wouldn't be surprised at another defeat. 

• Like 2

Walton

Nyambe        Lenihan        Tosin         Cunningham

Travis          Johnson

Rothwell                   Dack                  Downing

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams, Rankin-Costello, Evans, Chapman, Armstrong, Gallagher

Got a feeling that we might well win this as they are struggling and I think Mowbray will go back to Dack and Graham who will prove the difference.

• Like 1

I'd be going:

Walton

Nyambe         Tosin        Williams       Cunningham

Downing        Travis        Johnson      Rothwell 

Dack

Graham(c)

Subs: FIsher, Lenihan (if fit), Bennett, Buckley, Chapman, Armstrong, Gallagher.

Even if Lenihan is fit i'd go with the 2 who started at Fulham as I thought they did okay last week and also to send a signal to Lenihan.

We need Chapman as an option off the bench. I'd use Buckley, Downing, Bennett, Rothwell to cover centre mid if one of the two starters had to come off, cba with Smallwood or Evans.

Would maybe switch Armstrong for Downing to get a bit of extra pace in the side.

28 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Woodgate seems a daft appointment by Boro - would he have got the job if he hadn't been a Boro lad and former player? It seems they are short of money and are looking for the cheap and cheerful solution like most clubs in the hope it might work. Early signs are that Woodgate is a mistake but they have some potent players who will easily penetrate our soft and useless defence. 

Yes they seem in a bit of termoil. Personally I think we have a good start to the season catching both Fulham and Boro when their inexperienced managers are still getting to grips with the championship. Add in their poor form and a home game and we really should be looking at a win. 

Also TM seems to get a few good results when the pressure is on and after an uninspiring start to the season the pressure is definitely on. We saw this a number of times last season. 

With all this in mind I predict a win for Rovers. 2-1 or 3-2. No way will we keep a clean sheet but all things point to a win. Much needed imo to stop us getting into a relegation battle early on. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17834950.manchester-city-loanee-injury-doubt-rovers/

Lenihan and Tosin still a doubt. I do not think Lenihan will be ''selected''

But have no fear .............

Mowbray: “Bennett has a knock. He’s been walking around with ice on but he is a warrior and could have half his leg hanging off and he would still be wanting to play.''

If that wasn't enough here's a Mowbray tactical masterclass

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-boss-danny-graham-16750618

Edited by AllRoverAsia

34 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

He's an idiot. He will fail just as Dunn would if he was appointed here (thankfully after predictably failing at Oldham that likely won't happen) but at least Dunn isn't a violent racist.

Just waiting for Mercer’s prediction:

’Woodgate and Boro are struggling big time so even Mowbray can organise a team to smash their rabble. Can see us winning this one at a canter. Have gone for Rovers 2-0 at X/X and my fun bet of Rovers is 4-1 at X/X’

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Just waiting for Mercer’s prediction:

’Woodgate and Boro are struggling big time so even Mowbray can organise a team to smash their rabble. Can see us winning this one at a canter. Have gone for Rovers 2-0 at X/X and my fun bet of Rovers is 4-1 at X/X’

‘A good friend is a Boro fan, whoever loses has to treat the other to a slap up meal and a Chateau Leoville’

• Like 4

• Backroom

Not even going to bother predicting a line up because Mowbray always manages to make some kind of baffling/stupid decision that nobody expected.

If we play to our strengths (Dack & Graham, direct) then a win is possible. If we keep trying to play this possession based nonsense we'll likely lose as we won't have any shots on target and are bound to concede at least two.

• J*B pinned this topic

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17836133.rovers-boss-mowbray-left-ponder-the-danny-graham-factor/

It will be Graham again. Mowbray didn't sign the right players or coach the current ones well enough to play any differently. 

The thing is with Dack and Graham up there and the likes of Johnson and Downing in the team, we will be better than last year. Add a more solid defence with Mulgrew out and I see no reason why we can't finish 14th :)

• Like 1

The thing as well though is, I think it's over stated, by Mowbray, about the long ball to Graham stuff. He is technically a good footballer and better finisher than our other strikers. It's not just that he is a lump who wins the ball. I don't see why we couldn't aspire to play possession based football with him in the side. 

It's just pigeon holing and a lack of flexibility from the manager 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Personally I think we have a good start to the season catching both Fulham and Boro when their inexperienced managers are still getting to grips with the championship. Add in their poor form and a home game and we really should be looking at a win. 

You do know we have already lost to Fulham??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FGS5635 said:

His starting 11 will be

Walton

Travis Johnson

Armstrong Dack Gallagher

Graham

Cunningham will definitely play left back. Rithwell and Downing could play instead of Armstrong and Gallagher - very hard to call there. Apart from that looks like the team. 

• Like 1