Middlesbrough (H)

23 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Walton

Bennett Lenihan Williams Cunningham

Gallagher Travis Johnson Downing

Dack

Graham 

Bloody hell.

Why are we making our right hand side as weak as possible.

Swap Nyambe & Rothwell for Bennett and Gallagher and it's not a bad team.

Edited by MarkBRFC

12 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Bennett is dogshit.

Mowbray has drained every ounce of confidence out of Nyambe.

Nyambe is still just 21 FFS!!!

Nyambe has gone backwards in the 12 months. 

We need a right back who is good at going forward and defending. Sadly Nyambe isnt that player. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nyambe has gone backwards in the 12 months. . 

And yet you still put him in your starting lineup for Fulham last weekend !!

Nyambe was terrible on Tuesday night. However we know from last season that he's not usually that bad, and he was unfortunate to get dropped for the end of last season. Whilst his crossing isn't the best, he's actually better at trying to run past a full back going forward than Bennet. He's also better in the air than Bennett - an attribute we are incredibly short on if Tosin is out tomorrow. 

With Reed gone, I think there is a place for Bennett, but it's as cover for Travis and Johnson. His energy is his biggest attribute, and his distribution is no worse than Smallwood or Evans. I actually think he's a decent championship midfielder but he's getting panned now from some quarters unfairly as he's being shoved out of position.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need a right back who is good at going forward and defending. Sadly Nyambe isnt that player. 

If he has gone backwards it's no surprise. I went backwards at my workplace for months not long ago after seeing somebody useless land a job in front of me too.

Just now, bluebruce said:

If he has gone backwards it's no surprise. I went backwards at my workplace for months not long ago after seeing somebody useless land a job in front of me too.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s the people who can deal with such setbacks - which have happened since time immemorial - who get on in life.

Bennett isn’t much cop at RB, but I suspect the recent sanctification of Nyambe is as much to do with the Evans-Smallwood Mowbray-beating stick being rendered null and void as it is Ryan’s previously well-hidden likeness to Carlos Alberto.

Almost 100 first-team games without a sniff of an assist or goal but with more than a few positional goal-giving cock-ups isn’t the strongest grounds to demand a manager’s dismissal IMHO. At least Mowbray didn’t spend £11 million on him... 

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s the people who can deal with such setbacks - which have happened since time immemorial - who get on in life.

Bennett isn’t much cop at RB, but I suspect the recent sanctification of Nyambe is as much to do with the Evans-Smallwood Mowbray-beating stick being rendered null and void as it is Ryan’s previously well-hidden likeness to Carlos Alberto.

Almost 100 first-team games without a sniff of an assist or goal but with more than a few positional goal-giving cock-ups isn’t the strongest grounds to demand a manager’s dismissal IMHO. At least Mowbray didn’t spend £11 million on him... 

I'm aware of what gets you on in life (sheer luck in the case of the other person in my example though). I don't want to go too much into my personal circumstances, but there are other issues at play in them. I'm over it, partly through knowing you need to just kick on, but I'm older. Nyambe is barely past being a kid. The manager simply hasn't given him a fair crack of the whip and looks unlikely to do so whatever Ryan does. Much like myself, it's time for the lad to move on somewhere his abilities will actually be appreciated. He's on a hiding to nothing here. He needs a move and to rebuild himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

All the attributes and young enough to grow. Plenty of promise. Understandable dip given dropped unfairly for Bennett and slated by the manager unfairly when other culprits get off Scot free. 

Players less likely to succeed are pushed heavier as projects but then we didn't spend a ton of money on him so TMs self preservation means this won't be a focus. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm aware of what gets you on in life (sheer luck in the case of the other person in my example though). I don't want to go too much into my personal circumstances, but there are other issues at play in them. I'm over it, partly through knowing you need to just kick on, but I'm older. Nyambe is barely past being a kid. The manager simply hasn't given him a fair crack of the whip and looks unlikely to do so whatever Ryan does. Much like myself, it's time for the lad to move on somewhere his abilities will actually be appreciated. He's on a hiding to nothing here. He needs a move and to rebuild himself.

He’s 22 in December and Mowbray must’ve picked him at least 50 times while he’s been in charge, which to me means he’s not a kid and he’s certainly had his chance. Clearly Mowbray doesn’t like what he is seeing, and I don’t much either.

If he was crap against oldham because Mowbray has hurt his feelings, I don’t hold out much hope for a successful career got him. I’d wager there’s barely a professional player sitting on the subs bench who doesn’t think he should be in the team ahead of someone.

Bennett being even worse doesn’t make Ryan good enough.

It’s not how often you get knocked down, it’s how quickly you get up.

Back to the game, I think who plays RB will make sod all difference compared to our non-functioning £14 million kids up front

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

Some crazy comments tonight about Nyambe and Mowbray draining his confidence. I don't buy that for one second. Nyambe should have been chomping at the bit to get his chance, but when he did get it he was poor against Oldham. Bennett was very good last week so I expect him to start tomorrow. 

Very good time to play boro tomorrow and im optimistic that we can get the 3 points and kick start our season. 

• Like 2

Just now, Roverinbelfast said:

Some crazy comments tonight about Nyambe and Mowbray draining his confidence. I don't buy that for one second. Nyambe should have been chomping at the bit to get his chance, but when he did get it he was poor against Oldham. Bennett was very good last week so I expect him to start tomorrow. 

Very good time to play boro tomorrow and im optimistic that we can get the 3 points and kick start our season. 

Totally agree

3 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Are u the guy I spoke to on a young lady's phone outside the pub a few weeks ago & told u about this forum? Your joining date seems to coincide with this. If so, welcome to the forum. If not, welcome to the forum anyway!

Yes pal i am indeed!!! So thanks to tell me about this group and for show me that season ticket hahaha.

COME ON YOU ROVERS 

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

Hopefully the manager has identified the same weakness in Bell and gives him the Nyambe treatment with Cunningham in to take his place not back him up.

Id expect cunningham to play tomorrow. The big question is will lenihan come straight back in or will he go with Tosin and Williams 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Bennett has been involved in 2  "goal-giving cock-ups" already and we've only played 2 bloody games! It should have been 3 but Charlton fluffed their lines.

Bennett is simply not a decent RB.

• Like 2

Id expect cunningham to play tomorrow. The big question is will lenihan come straight back in or will he go with Tosin and Williams 

Mowbray said he would have to fight for the shirt. Not that that means anything.

I wonder how the water problem will pan out today.

Nyambe had a shocker on Tuesday so Bennett will understandably defo start. Both poor options though. I guess the question is when will JRC get a run out? Surely only a matter of time. I haven't really seen him play but it is worrying that he is also another converted midfielder. We really need solid defenders at full back.

We have zero actual right backs which is a really bad situation to be in. Come to think of it when was the last time we actually had a decent right back?

Edited by joey_big_nose

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Nyambe had a shocker on Tuesday so Bennett will understandably defo start. Both poor options though. I guess the question is when will JRC get a run out? Surely only a matter of time. I haven't really seen him play but it is worrying that he is also another converted midfielder. We really need solid defenders at full back.

That is really the underlying issue which Mowbray chose to ignore.

Bennett is far from the problem. If this team fails it will be down to the decision to sell Raya and replace him Walton and the decision to spend the summer budget on a forward we didn't really need and not buy a centre half. 

He's not as big a problem as Mulgrew was, but he's still a big problem imo. Can't head the ball, gets caught out of position frequently. He's played a big part in our leaky defence.

• Backroom

Bennett is far from the problem. If this team fails it will be down to the decision to sell Raya and replace him Walton and the decision to spend the summer budget on a forward we didn't really need and not buy a centre half. 

I wouldn’t say he’s far from the problem when he cost us a goal and would have cost us another if not for poor finishing in our first game 

• Like 1