BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough (H)

Just now, JHRover said:

As far as I'm concerned it is a must win game. But expect attempts to portray a draw as a good result. No doubt if we get a point it will be 'we're up and running' or if we are behind and salvage a draw it will be all about showing good fighting spirit to recover a point with a few references to Middlesbrough being a really good side, massive club etc.

Need a win. No excuses.

0-0.

“Where are all the haters now?”

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Can’t make the game today, I’m at yet another wedding.

Hope the signal is good in Hurst Green and I can pick up the scores.....

(I jest, I know the signal there is weak). 

I fail to see how today is a 'must win' game. There are 43 matches left after today with 129 points to play for. Preston started last season abysmally and were well down on us after 10-15 games, and yet they just sneaked above us in the end. All I want to see is more defensive solidity, I'd probably take a 0-0 as progress made (I'd rather not witness a 0-0 this afternoon but I wouldn't be devastated by one). The only 'must win' games are the ones where a defeat or draw would make it mathematically impossible to achieve something (safety, promotion, play offs etc). 

Edited by The Mighty Chaffinch

Just now, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

I fail to see how today is a 'must win' game. There are 43 matches left after today with 129 points to play for. Preston started last season abysmally and were well down on us after 10-15 games, and yet they just sneaked above us in the end. All I want to see is more defensive solidity, I'd probably take a 0-0 as progress made (I'd rather not witness a 0-0 this afternoon but I wouldn't be devastated by one). The only 'must win' games are the ones where a defeat or draw would make it mathematically impossible to achieve something (safety, promotion, play offs etc). 

I think you're underestimating the turning tide on Mowbray. Today is must win in a lot of people's eyes because people are getting thoroughly fed up with Mowbray's decisions. Both in the market and on the pitch. We've lost our first two games and nearly got humbled by Oldham. Faith is being lost. We have tough games on the horizon and risk being cut adrift early after all that promotion talk.

At home to another out of form side is the best chance we have to arrest this slide and restore some faith. A draw will merely be a stay of execution.

So we get a point today. Next up is Hull away, and all the talk before that will be about a point being good away from home. Then its Cardiff at home and West Brom away. Very few will be pinning their hopes on us winning those. 

All the people saying today isnt must win will also be saying the next 3 arent must win because they are away from home or against fancied sides. 

Suddenly you are 6 games in, only a couple of points on the board and adrift looking for a first win. Got to get it sooner or later and today is a better opportunity than the next 3.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

I think you're underestimating the turning tide on Mowbray. Today is must win in a lot of people's eyes because people are getting thoroughly fed up with Mowbray's decisions. Both in the market and on the pitch. We've lost our first two games and nearly got humbled by Oldham. Faith is being lost. We have tough games on the horizon and risk being cut adrift early after all that promotion talk.

At home to another out of form side is the best chance we have to arrest this slide and restore some faith. A draw will merely be a stay of execution.

Yes to a certain extent. But realistically a must win game??? Hardly. 

TM IMO unless we get 6 months down the line with similar form is pretty untouchable... after 2 games whose going to remove him. The Venkys from their Indian towers ..... doubt it after 3 matches. He’s pretty safe!!!

Just now, Mercer said:

There is a huge difference between tax evasion (illegal) and tax avoidance (legally exploiting the tax system to minimise / reduce tax liabilities) which I have been practising for a good part of my working career.  

Jack Walker did nothing wrong.

Jack provided good employment for thousands of folk over a long period of time and delivered a football dream that supporters like myself could only ever dream about.  He should be remembered with fondness.

Depends on your definition of 'wrong'.

• Like 1

Just now, markhayhurst said:

Yes to a certain extent. But realistically a must win game??? Hardly. 

TM IMO unless we get 6 months down the line with similar form is pretty untouchable... after 2 games whose going to remove him. The Venkys from their Indian towers ..... doubt it after 3 matches. He’s pretty safe!!!

Must win for the manager. Not must win for the club.

Not talking about his standing with the owners either, just the fans. Once the fans turn against you, you're on borrowed time, Venkys or no. Even Kean ended up resigning when they wouldn't pot him. Venkys have also gotten a bit more ruthless since then (though they seem to like TM so who knows).

If this rut continues for long, it'll take a Herculean effort that I don't think he is capable of, to take that writing off the wall.

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I suppose there is a difference between a must win for the club and a must win for the manager. I'm still cautiously supporting Mowbray. He doesn't become a bad manager overnight. 

I suppose there is a difference between a must win for the club and a must win for the manager. I'm still cautiously supporting Mowbray. He doesn't become a bad manager overnight. 

No you're right, it's been a sustained process for quite some time now. You didn't think this antipathy has arisen overnight, surely? There have been big question marks since at least the close of the January window. Longer for some, but the way that window ended was the start of deep concern for me.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Must win for the manager. Not must win for the club.

Not talking about his standing with the owners either, just the fans. Once the fans turn against you, you're on borrowed time, Venkys or no. Even Kean ended up resigning when they wouldn't pot him. Venkys have also gotten a bit more ruthless since then (though they seem to like TM so who knows).

If this rut continues for long, it'll take a Herculean effort that I don't think he is capable of, to take that writing off the wall.

Sorry I guess it’s indicative of previous history that I’m more concerned re:stability of a manager than day to day results/promotion/play offs. There’s always in the back of my mind what IF TM did go.

Dont get me wrong of course I want to see us competing dream of promotion... but.

Am I wrong to almost want TM to tick along rather than face the unknown of him leaving and Venkys appointing etc......

Edited by markhayhurst

I do who on the board of directors would remove him Waggot??

Seems safer than Bowyer was IMO 

It’s a good point. Only Venkys or Mowbray himself will make a change at manager level. If it is Venkys I wouldn’t be surprised to see Waggott go too.

Football isn’t like any other business in terms of hiring and firing and Rovers doesn’t seem to be like any other club!

• Like 1

Am I a boycotter?

I'm actually free to go today. The weather is as good as it's ever going to get. Boro is one of "the" games you'd want to see - with a large away following making it a better atmosphere than usual etc.

BUT, the thought of seeing one of Mowbray's tombola specials fills me with dread and I don't feel like going.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

Am I wrong to won’t TM to tick along rather than face the unknown of him leaving and Venkys appointing etc......

Without our debt, ticking along might be an option (providing relegation wasn’t an immediate threat) but our finances require, nay demand, PL money.

It’s bemusing though that people don’t trust Venkys to pick a better manager (even though they picked Mowbray) but they are trusted to keep on ploughing money into the club indefinitely while Mowbray coasts along.

Sorry I guess it’s indicative of previous history that I’m more concerned re:stability of a manager than day to day results/premotion/play offs. There’s always in the back of my mind what IF TM did go.

Dont get me wrong of course I want to see us competing dream of promotion... but.

Am I wrong to won’t TM to tick along rather than face the unknown of him leaving and Venkys appointing etc......

If you want TM to tick along, you should probably take the need to win today more seriously.

Thing is, it's very unlikely we will just tick along in this league indefinitely. Leaving aside the complete lack of hope that purgatory would fill us all with. When that becomes the plan, one season we're not gonna have enough, or get some bad luck, and go down again. Even if that doesn't happen, there's the rising debt mountain to Venkys. One day, however far in the future, you can expect that will get called in. The only way to reduce it is promotion.

Just now, Stuart said:

Without our debt, ticking along might be an option (providing relegation wasn’t an immediate threat) but our finances require, nay demand, PL money.

It’s bemusing though that people don’t trust Venkys to pick a better manager (even though they picked Mowbray) but they are trusted to keep on ploughing money into the club indefinitely while Mowbray coasts along.

Did they pick TM?? (Venkys)  We’ve seen changes to the structure of the club since that period. Who honestly would be in place to appoint a replacement/advise Venkys. As has been said here if TM goes so prob does Waggot so what does that leave???

your damn right i don’t trust Venkys to make an appointment but will happily take their cash....as for financial security I am acutely aware we are in a real mess. 

If TM goes honestly I don’t know where it leaves us. Yes promotion is an unrealistic must.

Edited by markhayhurst