BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough (H)

On 17/08/2019 at 11:20, Neal said:

Good result, felt we got away with it a bit with Boro missing that sitter. Some good performances out there too, can't really fault anyone, Walton doesn't convince me. 

Yup, Walton is not the one.

Just now, bigbrandjohn said:

Maybe that’s the long term strategy with Brereton

Mowbray seems to see them both as wide right forwards though so not sure how it would work personally not sure they'd gel but there's only one way to find out.

On 17/08/2019 at 11:41, Exiled in Toronto said:

Very impressed with Gallagher today, a real handful out wide AND much better at getting back and defending than the usual suspects in that role. Cunningham a proper left back. And I’m liking Johnson being a bit of an angry, dirty bugger.

Me too, Gally worked his socks off.  Love that sliding tackle late on after he busted a gut to get back, that's the kind if heart we are going to need.

• Like 3

Just now, AAK said:

Needed win. However i struggle to accept that our manager has signed Nutrall, Samuel, Antonson, Brereton and Gallagher and they all struggle/struggled to hit a barn door with 50 balls between them. Graham, the 34 year old Coyle signing is still number 1. 

Then we also have, what seems to be our new number 2 centre half, williams, another coyle signing. Mowbrays centre half signings, downing? Thats it

The two real areas weve needed to improve and he never has.

Centre mid too, okay travis, but that was by default he got in. Johnson good battler, not a good footballer, but let him have that.

Harsh after a win, but ffs, some poor signings.

Nutall goal scoring ratio was not bad, it was his alround play that was poor.

Antonsson wasn't too bad but granted he was way too weak.

There is more than goals to Gallagher's play and originally was a Coyle signing. As someone else has said Coyle did not sign Graham originally it was Lambert.

Johnson is exactly then the type of midfielder we've been after for years.

We'll see if Williams is going to be first choice partner at the back to Lenighan or if the City lad is.

By no ways I'm a Mowbray fan but there are far more faults that you can beat him with but yesterday's performance wasn't one of them 

• Like 1

On 17/08/2019 at 11:53, Lie_still_Rover said:

Enjoyed that today, everyone worked their socks off- Dack doesn't stop running, cracking player.

A-side from the tremendous work-rate, bloody hell, did we get stuck in!  Snapping into challenges left, right and centre. Johnson absolutely nailed one of their players in the first half- a nasty tackle, we've been on the receiving end too many times, so it's great to us giving it back. Speaking of Johnson, what a beast he is, bullies the opposition and brilliant in the air.

For me though MOM would have to be Cunningham. What a difference having him in the side makes. Gets up and down, looks very tidy and again, isn't afraid of throwing himself into a tackle.

I think we've lacked aggression in recent years and as such had a soft underbelly that, even in league one, was exposed at times. 

I sound like a right thug, I'm not, I like attractive attacking football, but unless you're absolutely unreal you have to able to mix it up- and boy, there's nothing like a few blood n' thunder tackles to get the crowd going- Travis, what a lad!

When you throw in the likes of Dack, Rothwell, Arma, Gallagher it's easy to get a bit carried away.

A bit puzzled why Armstrong played down the middle and we kept Gallagher out wide- but hey-ho, we got a solid win- I'd have to say Mowbray got it right today.

Boro, on the other hand, look to have taken a big step backwards. Assombolonga did absolutely nothing, they looked like a side devoid of ideas and passion. I think they'll struggle this season based off that offering.

My thoughts too.

11 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think you answered your own question a few posts ago with the lung-busting run back and sliding tackle. Armstrong offers no protection out wide. 

That is a good point that I had overlooked I realised that when I mentioned it.  Also, unless it is just me I am not so impressed with young Buckley.  Granted I have not seen much of him but he looms a little bit off.  Hope I am just dwelling on the bits.of sloppy play and overlooking what's good.  Maybe after.reading so much praise for the lad my.expectations are too high.

13 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Lambert signed Graham on a loan to season end after he had succeeded in his main task of selling Rhodes.

Danny liked Rovers so signed on permanent under Coyle. Pedantic yes but just fed up of others memory loss.

I'm 100% certain whoever took over DG was coming as was Mulgrew at the time.

Word was Coyle was signed cheap for the sole purpose of coaching the team and nothing else although he seemed to be trying hard to get a few of his pals on the books.

Christ knows who was in charge of getting players in,  what does that middleman actually do again on a day to day basis when he isn't running errands between here and Pune ?  I've often wondered !

Just now, tomphil said:

I'm 100% certain whoever took over DG was coming as was Mulgrew at the time.

Word was Coyle was signed cheap for the sole purpose of coaching the team and nothing else although he seemed to be trying hard to get a few of his pals on the books.

Christ knows who was in charge of getting players in,  what does that middleman actually do again on a day to day basis when he isn't running errands between here and Pune ?  I've often wondered !

As I said in another post I hope DG was a work in progress by the time C turned up. I think so too re Charlie.

• Like 1

I am alone in this - but beyond the penalty I really struggle to think what else DG actually did.

I also think we looked one paced at times with DG and Dack up front. Funny that our main outlet was Gallagher - both winning more headers than anyone else and providing much needed pace.

54 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Me too, Gally worked his socks off.  Love that sliding tackle late on after he busted a gut to get back, that's the kind if heart we are going to need.

That challenge was right in front of me in the Riverside; the determination he showed to get back in and defend like that was fantastic, and it was rightly given a standing ovation by many. Was just typical of his overall performance I felt, deffo a MOTM contender.

• Like 3

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I am alone in this - but beyond the penalty I really struggle to think what else DG actually did.

I also think we looked one paced at times with DG and Dack up front. Funny that our main outlet was Gallagher - both winning more headers than anyone else and providing much needed pace.

Re: Gallagher....yes he won headers.......but he flicked them onto......usually a Boro player.

Not blaming him it's just that if it is to be a tactic, someone has to be on the end of the flicks.

it reminded me of Rhodes failing to read Gestede's flick ons.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Re: Gallagher....yes he won headers.......but he flicked them onto......usually a Boro player.

Not blaming him it's just that if it is to be a tactic, someone has to be on the end of the flicks.

it reminded me of Rhodes failing to read Gestede's flick ons.

Reminds me of best set pieces under Howard Kendall. Corner sent to Faz on near post, headed on and goal every time. 

• Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

50% of the post match chat has disappeared. We are only on page 23 whereas the Fulham and Charlton threads had reached well past page 30 by now.

Hmmmm wonder why that might be ?

• Like 2

• Backroom

It's pretty common for victories to have less debate than defeats. There's only so many ways you can say "glad we won, decent performance". I think it's great that almost everyone is in agreement that the defence looked much better, Travis/Johnson works well as a midfield unit and Gally had a solid performance on the wing. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I agree. DG was ineffectual a lot of the time. 

Gallagher was excellent. He wasn't played as a winger. He was a wide target-man. And a runner in the channels.

Graham looked lethargic in comparison.

• Backroom

I’ve realised who Johnson reminds me of.

Its Jermaine Jones, full of energy throwing himself into tackles, you accept a fair share of bookings will come his way as part of the package 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BRFC64 said:

I agree. DG was ineffectual a lot of the time. 

Gallagher was excellent. He wasn't played as a winger. He was a wide target-man. And a runner in the channels.

Graham looked lethargic in comparison.

Really disagree on Gallagher thought he was very ineffective and don’t think he’s a wide player at all (but you can never have enough of the kind of heart he showed) Graham’s lack of mobility means he can drop out of games for large periods.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

A bit late to the party here but I really enjoyed yesterday. Loads of effort and fight. Good performances from all of the new signings, excellent shifts from Dack, Williams, Lenihan and Travis. Overall, a well earned 3 points.

Exactly right.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, philipl said:

50% of the post match chat has disappeared. We are only on page 23 whereas the Fulham and Charlton threads had reached well past page 30 by now.

It’s always like that, stop fishing.

There’s a lot more to talk about after a defeat than a 1-0 win.

The chat has actually been pretty positive when it could have been a lot more concerned.

Some shoots of digress but we now have a very thin squad (midfield aside) and rely on no injuries to key players.