BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pricing at Ewood.

Just now, DeeCee said:

Sorry I meant the one across from the Aqueduct. ?

Bloody hell pal, you’re going back a few years there. That was the Ewood and Hollin Bank Club which was demolished about 20 years ago to make room for the new apartment complex. I remember playing snooker there it was freezing, excellent spud pie though. 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

I think the Wainwrights stunt was more of a Thwaites idea in an attempt to grow that brand just as it was starting to take off and they realised they were on to a winner, before selling it off to Marstons to brew in the Midlands. Probably nothing to do with Rovers as it was served from pop up temporary bars on the concourse rather than from Rovers own catering stands.

Have to say I was disgusted to see that Thwaites are now marketing themselves as a 'Ribble Valley brewery' on their new beer pump clips and posters with no mention of Blackburn. Can't remember the last time I had a pint of Thwaites beer. Shame but they obviously see themselves as being above the town these days.

Probably Richard Matthewman's suggestion when he still owned the Ribble Valley Inns chain.

I rarely (as in practically never) enter public houses but I did a week ago. Was with someone else and while waiting for an appointment there wasn't really anywhere to go. That said I still didn't want to go in (even had it been raining hard) and had it been anyone else (including my Mother) I would have refused. So after entering this shockingly empty dump (two shifty looking people near door one of whom had a t-shirt saying anti-social) had a coke which I didn't pay for (in the can which is normal for me anyway but the glasses were probably dirty) and observed the place. Tired old decor, tired carpeting, tired seating and the only thing which looked modern were the Tv's which surprisingly enough were flat screens. There was also a coal fire for crying out loud and that wasn't even switched on. It was like going back in time to the 70's even though I wasn't alive then. No wonder the industry is struggling. I'm surprised the floor wasn't sawdust.

How anyone below 60 would want to enter one of these places is beyond me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Probably Richard Matthewman's suggestion when he still owned the Ribble Valley Inns chain.

I rarely (as in practically never) enter public houses but I did a week ago. Was with someone else and while waiting for an appointment there wasn't really anywhere to go. That said I still didn't want to go in (even had it been raining hard) and had it been anyone else (including my Mother) I would have refused. So after entering this shockingly empty dump (two shifty looking people near door one of whom had a t-shirt saying anti-social) had a coke which I didn't pay for (in the can which is normal for me anyway but the glasses were probably dirty) and observed the place. Tired old decor, tired carpeting, tired seating and the only thing which looked modern were the Tv's which surprisingly enough were flat screens. There was also a coal fire for crying out loud and that wasn't even switched on. It was like going back in time to the 70's even though I wasn't alive then. No wonder the industry is struggling. I'm surprised the floor wasn't sawdust.

Sounds like my Local, mind you I am over sixty. You don't actually switch coal fires on, you just light them.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

There's pubs and there's pubs though, fortunately they are not all like that but the choice of quality places is getting smaller.

Just now, DeeCee said:

There's pubs and there's pubs though, fortunately they are not all like that but the choice of quality places is getting smaller.

I’d say it was the other way round. The shite pub selling crap beer and little else are closing rapidly, whilst your quality pub with a good selection of beer and food are growing.

• Like 2

They're all closing mate, good and bad, I came out of the trade 4 years ago after 25 years. Hard game at the moment for so many reasons.

There's always gonna be some busy places because of location etc but these will be the exception rather than the rule.

Sad to say but the traditional British pub is on the endangered list.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

They are ALL closing? Depends where, surely? Blackburn for many reasons is in a bad state.

Rural areas many pubs are heaving. Micro pubs are popping up in every town. 

Generalisation. The costs of running a quality establishment are phenomenal and the margins low with many other businesses after a slice of the cake. You can get a beer in the coffee shops in town nowadays.

The spit and sawdust pub is finished. But there is still a place for pubs.

Blackburn is not a normal market. 6 pubs on Livesey Branch Road. Now 0 on Four Lane Ends/Revidge Road, as an example, when there were also 6 on that ‘run’ 15 years ago tells you that.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just to add ? I'm now going to walk the dogs round to my local pub, which is a "Destination Food House" and despite a recent refurb, good reputation and decent Trip Advisor feedback, it is empty for 5 months of the year except for weekends.

People's habits have changed, going to the pub is not the number 1 on many people's choice of entertainment.

Sure my beer will be very good at £3.80 for local cask beer. Foster's is £4.20 and San Miguel is £4.85 not many people could afford to drink every night.

3 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Bloody hell pal, you’re going back a few years there. That was the Ewood and Hollin Bank Club which was demolished about 20 years ago to make room for the new apartment complex. I remember playing snooker there it was freezing, excellent spud pie though. 

Apartments were built were kwik save was, ewood and hollin bank club was were the take aways across from ewood bikes are

39 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The spit and sawdust pub is finished. But there is still a place for pubs.

Blackburn is not a normal market. 6 pubs on Livesey Branch Road. Now 0 on Four Lane Ends/Revidge Road, as an example, when there were also 6 on that ‘run’ 15 years ago tells you that.

Ironic that Blackburn of all places (260 pubs at one stage http://www.cottontown.org/Culture and Leisure/Buildings/Pages/Public-Houses.aspx) has ended up with large parts of the town where the locals don’t drink.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

I think the Wainwrights stunt was more of a Thwaites idea in an attempt to grow that brand just as it was starting to take off and they realised they were on to a winner, before selling it off to Marstons to brew in the Midlands. Probably nothing to do with Rovers as it was served from pop up temporary bars on the concourse rather than from Rovers own catering stands.

Have to say I was disgusted to see that Thwaites are now marketing themselves as a 'Ribble Valley brewery' on their new beer pump clips and posters with no mention of Blackburn. Can't remember the last time I had a pint of Thwaites beer. Shame but they obviously see themselves as being above the town these days.

Over at least the last 15 years, I think Thwaites mismanged their core beer business so badly that is has now virtually disappeared - it is a crying shame .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanks said:

The Ewood & HB Con club was at the end of the row of takeaways opposite the aqueduct and it was compulsory demolished just over 20 years ago. It's just a bit of derelict ground now.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/6188494.danger-eyesore-will-be-pulled-down/

That’s right. My mistake. 

2 hours ago, Mum63 said:

Apartments were built were kwik save was, ewood and hollin bank club was were the take aways across from ewood bikes are

Hanks got it spot on. 

5 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

A vivid description of a good old Pub.

All you missed was the miserable looking sod drinking Coke from a can and worrying about what time the Asteroid hits.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, arbitro said:

I don't understand the significance of this - care to enlighten?

Sorry I was feeling mischievous.

Hence my post being the meat fed to the piranhas.

Very frustrating that Sodemall or whatever they are called have learnt nothing from catering to the masses about the logistics of event catering.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just now, MCMC1875 said:

Sheff Wed:

£43 BBE on the day

£7.50 pie & pint "offer"

£50.50 total.

Hang your head in shame Mr Waggott. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Now now the club can 'do no more' and have 'the cheapest tickets in the league' according to some.

• Like 1