BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Drop Bennett. 

Solved. 

However, you must say that is now out of the question. Imagine dropping your captain, replacing him and then dropping the replacement. Bennett is our RB and that’s that. 

Dropping him is one thing but Nyambe had a chance to make a claim and failed.

A right back should be the main priority (along with signing Cunningham permanently) in January.

Hes going to need to try another player on the wing too, Gallagher is not a winger. Never will be.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Still not convinced by this new style of play, particularly against the better teams. We don't have the players to pass out from the back and it results in us giving the ball away in dangerous areas and better teams than Hull will punish us. We also still don't seem to be clicking as an attacking unit, we have two target men in Graham and Gallagher so let's play to their strengths. 

I've got to say mate, I disagree. That's the best I've seen us pass the ball around. Especially in the second half. We passed the ball around them. Yes we gave the ball away cheaply but I was impressed with a lot of our play. Not seen us pass the ball around that in a long while. As you explained other teams would of maybe took more of an advantage of our mistakes but I certainly think we can move forward with this on the floor play. We just need to improve our final ball/shooting.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 6

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Good performance, all the decisions went our way for once, on another night the goal gets chalked off for a foul by Armstrong and Cunningham concedes a pen at the end. However we deserved the win and thought Cunningham Travis and Downing were excellent.

What a difference a week makes, seven days ago we were trailing to League 2 Oldham at the end of normal time. What a difference it makes when you can keep clean sheets as well.

If Mowbray would just drop Bennett..........

This is a great point. We made our own luck tonight by going away and being in the front foot. Every credit!

• Backroom
Just now, Tugay-is-God said:

"So much more still to be improved"  - Tony

He's not wrong. He's got his head screwed on and he wants what's right for this club.

Long may it continue!

Hopefully he's including himself in that. We aren't far away but the manager is still making some unnecessary team selections which are making things harder than they need to be.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Tugay-is-God said:

The manager's brought in half the team by now, and coached the rest of them for two and a half years.

If he's taking the stick for the loses, give him the credit for the wins.

Of course he gets credit for the wins. Doesn't change the fact we are still seeing some strange decisions in terms of our £5m striker playing ineffectively on the wing and Bennett repeatedly shooting us in the foot at RB.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, it's the only way to improve. Tony's comments suggests he knows this though so it's fine.

• Like 1

It's a real shitter that Cunningham can't play at weekend. I'd actually be inclined to play Hart at left back though rather than shunt William's out wide, even if Tosin is fit. Lenihan, Williams and Walton need to keep on playing together and developing their understanding on the pitch.

• Like 2

Great win and second half performance. Still an awful lot to improve on, which I think is a positive in a weird way. We’ve got the makings of a decent side, it just needs to be put together in the right way. I don’t think that Mowbray is the man if I’m being honest, but he’s bought himself a few more games to have a go after the past 2 results.

• Like 2

Great result ? 

Good points for me  

Defensively we are very much improved on last season, the difference made by playing an actual left back there is pronounced. Lenihan and Williams are a very good cb partnership for this level.  Walton was great when called upon and looked commanding when dealing with high balls. Downing - wow, I was worried that we had whittingham mk II but he was immense tonight and stood out with his intelligence and passing ability. Dack came into the game more in the second half until he was clashed but he was beginning to look dangerous. Johnson gets stuck in and really puts himself about, good to see. Travis was superb, tracking back and showing a lot of energy  

The bad...

Going forward we look poor, not much creativity and we give the ball away a fair bit. Final ball was often a let down. Perhaps this will improve as the squad gets more familiar with each other and the new style of play. Bennet was poor, along with Gallagher and Armstrong. If we had a good RB and a dangerous striker then we would be looking at top 6 I reckon. 

Overall a really enjoyable match. I feel proud to be a Rovers fan when we play like that, with commitment and graft. Hopefully Dack isn’t injured and continues to improve back to the level he reached last season. I’d love to see Brereton given more of a chance up front as I don’t think Gallagher is the answer there and Graham has been wonderful but is surely nearing the end of his time with us. 

• Like 1

Definitely agree with everyone that Johnson is a big upgrade. Slightly cautious though. He got the ball tangled under his feet a few times tonight and made a few heavy touches which resulted in lost possession in our own half quite a few times. Will be punished for that against the bigger teams. 

Downing MOTM. Best footballing brain on the pitch tonight. Not sure what to do about LB on Saturday.

Just now, Ossydave said:

It's a real shitter that Cunningham can't play at weekend. I'd actually be inclined to play Hart at left back though rather than shunt William's out wide, even if Tosin is fit. Lenihan, Williams and Walton need to keep on playing together and developing their understanding on the pitch.

I'd go three at the back, definitely not Bell or Williams as an out and out LB.

• Like 1

Downing is a revelation. Johnson is giving us that bite and composure in midfield that we haven’t had in...... a decade??!

Lots to improve on but plenty to be positive about. Cunningham looks great. Bennett was a liability in the first half but got marginally better in the second.

I haven’t seen a Rovers side look so comfortable in possession for years. Thought the same at Fulham. Very impressive. 

We might do alright this year.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Husky said:

As with the win over Boro. Key moment - coming out and catching the ball at the back post when 1-0 up in injury added time. Raya would have had a panic attack.

Thought he still flapped in the air a bit against Boro, including one which nearly cost us a goal. Tonight was easily his most convincing performance even without the vital penalty save. I feel a lot less worried by him now (for now).

• Like 2