BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Dropping him is one thing but Nyambe had a chance to make a claim and failed.

A right back should be the main priority (along with signing Cunningham permanently) in January.

Hes going to need to try another player on the wing too, Gallagher is not a winger. Never will be.

Dont understand why Chapman hasn't been given a chance. Also dont understand why Rothwell ain't in ahead of Armstrong

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Harsh considering Nyambes "chance" was alongside two teenage youth players and the crabs in midfield.

Put Nyambe in the first XI and see who is better.

We have some real leadership finally, Bennett simply isn't needed as he was in L1.

Good win, I wish we could show a bit more desire to get a 2nd and use our brains a bit more.

That stat on the Lenihan-Williams partnership is staggering, positive.

• Like 3

Maybe I’m alone but I didn’t think Bennett was that bad. Not great, but not terrible either. He struggled for the first 20/30 minutes, but then I think a lot of right backs will struggle against Grosicky, but I thought he got better and nullified the threat much better in the second half. 

I thought Gallacher struggled a bit out wide, but then it was his bit of skill that led to the free-kick that we scored from, so I guess he played his part. 

Travis is fantastic at hassling the opposition and winning the ball back, but I thought his passing was poor, as it was on Saturday too. Which I guess is encouraging as we know he can be better and we’re still winning. 

It’s been said many times already, but Williams is a revelation at CB. Could easily have won MotM in each of the last 2 games. 

And finally, I know we’d love him to start, but Rothwell coming on full of energy for the last 20 minutes is a real help when we’re winning. He keeps the ball so well and moves us up the pitch which stops us from being pinned back. 

• Like 9

Didn’t Gallagher's fantastic take down win the free kick for the goal?

What I saw was a high intensity performance with a few errors, but effective at times, particularly at bringing Dack into play further up.

We don’t play conventional flying wingers so I’m not convinced there is an argument to suggest he isn’t suited for some variant of a pressing wide forward. 

Edited by Harry The Bass
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Really difficult to pick a MotM tonight, but Williams produced two superb moments, and he's really in his element in his proper position. What a professional performance that was.

#OnePointOffThePlayOffs ?

One point of joint second...

• Like 1

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Didn’t Gallagher's fantastic take down won the free kick for the goal?

What I saw was a high intensity performance with a few errors, but effective at times, particularly at bringing Dack into play further up.

We don’t play conventional flying wingers so I’m not convinced there is an argument to suggest he isn’t suited for some variant of a pressing wide forward. 

Gallagher won everything in the air again too, Armstrong seemed to be nowhere near any of the flick ons anticipating them and running onto the loose ball though. That bit of trickery just before he was substituted was excellent. 

• Like 2

Just now, rigger said:

Cunningham can’t play against Cardiff 

I wonder if we might see 3 at the back - Tosin - Lenihan - Williams - with Downing at LWB

If Tosin is fit then that’s what my fiver would be on - especially since Mowbray has talked about picking sides based on the opposition and Cardiff will bombard us with high balls into our box and so 3 CBs will be helpful, plus Tosins height will be important. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveyB said:

I wonder if we might see 3 at the back - Tosin - Lenihan - Williams - with Downing at LWB

If Tosin is fit then that’s what my fiver would be on - especially since Mowbray has talked about picking sides based on the opposition and Cardiff will bombard us with high balls into our box and so 3 CBs will be helpful, plus Tosins height will be important. 

Bennett at right wing back 

Long stretches of the game had very little organized play from either side, but I was impressed with how well we controlled play and held out for the last 15 minutes or so, Hull never even looked threatening during that crucial period. Not sure we'll get away with trading counterattacks with other teams for a whole season though, just like Mowbray I suppose I'd like to see us play our way towards goal a bit more. 

*Johnson is a madman, running, tackling, crossing, shooting, losing the ball and causing penalties all in one game. No wonder Travis is much more subdued beside him than he was last season. Very entertaining to watch, but the jury is still out on whether he'll cause us trouble in the long run.

*Our attacking four had some good individual performances, but they still look like a bunch of square pegs in round holes at times. Gallagher did a good job playing as a traditional, hard working winger, but is that really the best use of his abilities?

*Really liked the look of Cunningham, good mix of attacking and defending capabilities. Bennett had a harder time, but then he was up against one o the league's best wingers in Grosicki. He's another player who doesn't look like he's a good fit for the position and system.  

*Three points away from home against decent opposition. Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 1

Watched the whole game on Sky. Really pleased with the win, which I thought we deserved even if our goal really should have been disallowedd. For me....

The Good - thought Walton, Williams, Lenihan, Travis, Downing, Dack were all excellent. Travis in particular is not the most technically gifted player but didn't lose the ball once and made some crucial tackles. Williams and Lenihan look a top six standard centre back pair. Downing was very cultured. Walton very assured. Dack had a great game showing skill and composure on the ball.

The okay - Bennett has received a bit of a pasting on here but I thought he did okay wiih a few great blocks and tackles. I'm not really sure if he deserves dropping. He actually had about as good a game as Cunningham who got caught out down his flank a few times. Also Johnson to me has some real quality, a superb strike and some good passing, but I am already forming the opinion he may be a bit of a liability. He got caught in possession around half a dozen times - several really dangerous positions. Armstrong never stopped running, improved as the game wore on. Gallagher provides a good out ball where you will consistentky win the headers and this  really disrupts the opponent's play. But equally you don't really get much from it. So I'm really on the fence with him.

The bad - no one.

• Like 2

An imperfect but very impressive win.

Walton with a couple of excellent catches and a superb penalty save, otherwise well protected. Defence was superb, difficult to seperate the central 2, both excellent. Cunningham again terrific, looking an outstanding addition although very lucky in injury time, switching off to allow their RB to blaze over before a clumsy challenge that somehow wasnt a penalty. Bennett beaten once or twice but still think he was much improved on normally and im usually a big critic.

Johnson a massive asset and at times a liability in equal measures. Stupid challenge for the penalty and repeatedly guilty of being a huge issue with any attempt to play the ball out. That said, a monster who offers a threat going forward. Travis brilliant, composed and tenacious with one particularly superb tackle. Though Dack showed some superb touches and turns to knit things together and technically superb but needs a goal perhaps, Rothwell impressed when he came on and Downing was brilliant, great game management and his decision making and quality from open play and set pieces was great to see. Lovely bit of pace at one point too.

Armstrong and in particular Gallagher very poor. Gallagher without a goal in 21 now and cannot play wide, thought for all his effort he was ineffective there on Saturday but far worse today. We lack a cutting edge and the worry is with a team around it starting to seemingly piece together, we need our 15m worth of forwards to give us an extra dimension.

Very lucky in terms of the ref too. Our goal shouldnt have stood and they should have had a stone wall penalty at the end but we will take it all day.

Hull bottom half fodder reliant on the wide 2 to keep safe an otherwise really poor side.

• Like 1

Bennett is an absolute liability. He shouldn’t be anywhere near that side. So many times in that first half he could have cost us a goal. It’s laughable how much Mowbray likes him. 

Johnson, Downing both very much an improvement. Gallagher did a good job out there. Travis was average today I thought but did do well at the weekend. 

Makes life much more comfortable bringing Graham on off the bench to defend a lead. 

Still a lot to work on. But 6 points is bloody brilliant from where I thought we would be at 3pm last sat. 

Had to work tonight so didn't get chance to watch the game but by all accounts it was a great performance. Just want to go on record and say well done to the manager, 2 clean sheets and 2 wins is a good return so fair play to him. I still have my doubts but If he can keep this up then I'll gladly eat humble pie if it means he has us challenging for promotion but I'm still pretty sure he won't. 

Another thing, I've always said I think Williams is a decent centre half and apparently put in a great performance tonight, I think many still judge him off his performances at left back when it's clear to both him and the fans that he's not a left back. With that said, I hope we get a deal done for Cunningham, exactly what we've been looking for, just a shame we lose him and have to go back to Bell for Cardiff when we all know Bell is finished here, he's never going to be our first choice full back and needs moving into the deadwood pile to ship out. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

A right back should be the main priority (along with signing Cunningham permanently) in January.

Hes going to need to try another player on the wing too, Gallagher is not a winger. Never will be.

Bennett is the best right back we got. Nyambe isn't good enough. 

15 minutes ago, Gary C said:

Dont understand why Chapman hasn't been given a chance. Also dont understand why Rothwell ain't in ahead of Armstrong

Armstrong played today cos we wanted to play more on the counter. 

Still think Chapman building his fitness

12 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

Maybe I’m alone but I didn’t think Bennett was that bad. Not great, but not terrible either. He struggled for the first 20/30 minutes, but then I think a lot of right backs will struggle against Grosicky, but I thought he got better and nullified the threat much better in the second half. 

I thought he was good tpoday. won tackles, heading was good enough

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher without a goal in 21 now and cannot play wide, thought for all his effort he was ineffective there on Saturday but far worse today. 

really? He was very good on Saturday. Work his socks off, won the ball

31 minutes ago, Drover said:

Definitely agree with everyone that Johnson is a big upgrade. Slightly cautious though. He got the ball tangled under his feet a few times tonight and made a few heavy touches which resulted in lost possession in our own half quite a few times. Will be punished for that against the bigger teams. 

Downing MOTM. Best footballing brain on the pitch tonight. Not sure what to do about LB on Saturday.

I hope Downing can pass on a bit of his footballing knowhow to Arma. Lad has talent and I like him, but he makes numerous wrong decisions per game.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Letting the opposition get round the back of our defence umpteen times in the first 30 mins is not a pattern you want to see every game. 

Cunningham shows the difference a solid full back makes. Mowbray needs to sort out the right back position now.

Good win though. Unexpected. 

It’s going to take time to work. 

Its by far from perfect but for once I could actually see a style developing.

i watched all of Man City’s games when pep cane and I could see what he was trying to do and urged less enthusiastic city fans to be patient. Throughout that season there were numerous errors and players that couldn’t play in the system and now the whole country is trying to do the same.

im not comparing us to Man City but I was delighted with the performance and I finally feel we have something to build on. When you can see something to believe in it gives you hope and patience. I constantly criticise tony because he never delivers on the pitch what he says in his interviews. Tonight I cannot fault him. The line up was something different but I understood why he had done it. The changes where the correct changes at the right time and the performance wasn’t perfect but a damn sight better than anything I’ve seen in a long time.

downing was excellent but I cannot understand how Williams didn’t get mom. By far or stand out performer, blocked and tackled everything then scored the winning goal. Very harsh to not be awarded mom.

im going to bed a very happy blue and excited about Saturday (until bell ruins it)

• Like 2

Go on then, I’ll start with a negative. Why oh why did he start making his substitutions so early? Things were going well, just leave it alone for a bit longer Mowbray. It might have cost us.

However, that was a good performance. The stand out player for me was Downing. Play him wide left and leave him there. He’s just what rovers need - experienced, still fit and with a bit of pace and he will be a threat in most games with that left foot. Good signing. Other stand out performances came from the much maligned - but much deserved on past performances - Williams. Thought he was dominant at the back. Very good in the air, put in some vital tackles, but does have a tendency to get caught out with the ball over his head. Johnson, a bit like Downing gives us the experience and extra bite/class in midfield, he played very well. Dack couldn’t quite find that final ball but always has to start - another player with a touch of quality and class.

so still some concerns, but tonight is a good night. So it’s goodnight from me and goodnight from him.

• Like 3

First half was wide open with both sides having chances, we did look really vulnerable at the back at times as they did. Second half whilst Hull still had the odd sniff at goal I thought we took control of the game and knocked the ball around really well. Walton had a solid performance in goal, penalty save and a clean sheet, can’t ask for much more. Cunningham proving again he’s on a different level too Bell, what a goal that would have been if he’d have stuck it in after that burst forward. Darragh and Derrick keeping there strong partnership in tact. Delighted for Williams too not only get the winner but make that absolutely unreal tackle in the dying minutes, he took a lot of stick as a left back and arguably rightly so, but he’s kept at it and looks more than capable at centre half. Bennett for me struggled too handle Grosicki tonight and we were fortunate a few times that someone was there too clear a Grosicki cross/shot. You can’t fault his effort but if Tony doesn’t think Nyambe is up too it then come January I’ll be hoping we bring a right back in. Johnson and Travis compared too Evans and Smallwood is different gravy entirely. Travis was excellent tonight. Johnson taking that shot first time and hitting the bar is something we’d never see in a million years from Smallwood or Evans, the only downside of Johnson’s performance for me was he lost it a few times in the middle by dicking about with it, he needs too cut that out. Armstrong had a decent game but should have done better with that chance in the first half and again, his final ball is inconsistent, won a few corners and throw ins from his pace though, nobody really had a bad game tonight. Dack was on it, if Downing hadn’t have hit the post with that shot it would have been a real goal, loved the way Dack let the ball come across his body before sliding it through too Downing, we played some good stuff tonight at times. Downing himself was outstanding, assured mature performance with so much quality. Gallagher is certainly shutting those up who said he was useless in the air, won a lot of flick ons tonight and his work rate got us up the pitch. Great turn too win the free kick I THINK we scored from. A 1-0 away from home is always a great result, how it finished 1-0 I don’t know as on another day it could have easily been a 5-4 win :lol: On too Saturday now, 2 wins and 2 clean sheets after two defeats is a fantastic response. COYB 

• Like 1

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Can I just say again...WHAT A TACKLE by travis

Travis, Williams and Bennett all made exceptional tackles from behind in the game.

It's interesting that Bennett does not get credit for his.

I am a fully paid up member of the "we need a better right back than Bennett" club  but I do think he gets maligned beyond reason. People are looking for his faults and skimming over the bits he does well.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 5

I like the football TM his trying play if he played a proper  winger on the right tonight Rovers would have won by more than one . The amount  of times Armstrong was one on one with his defender  was freighting but he did nowt with it . Bennett a heart of a lion but position wise he's all over the place but Cunningham is the best left back the club have had in years. Williams needs too be made captain  he had another  good game tonight and young  Lenihan as settled along side him.  Gallagher needs to play up front he's no idea out wide but lad works hard . Travis  and Johnson are going from strength  to strength , Downing best player on the pitch  . Keeper had a good game and the penalty  save was a cracker and is overall game was much better . What i wouldn't  give for a younger Graham  it looked like farther time had caught up with him tonight  but he struggles without Dack.  But i said on Monday that Hull where there for the taking  this Rovers team could have a cracking season if TM  gets the right side of the team shorted out

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Travis, Williams and Bennett all made exceptional tackles from behind in the game.

It's interesting that Bennett does not get credit for his.

I think people are way to harsh on Bennett. He didn’t play badly tonight. I must of missed the tackle you are on about but he did more good than bad

• Like 3