BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I'll never be Bennett's biggest fan as a right back but I agree people look to fault the guy. If Travis was playing there and did the same things he'd get nowhere near the same abuse because he's come through the system.

Defensively all 5 did really well today. At no point after we scored did I feel threatened and I think that's more credit to the defence than the opposition being poor. 

Work to be done further forward for sure but a solid foundation is something we've lacked for a while and it's nice to see the potential of that and hopefully something to be improved further and used as a foundation for progress. But hey let's all use a 1 0 away win as a reason to moan yeah???

• Like 1

Just now, Theaxe15 said:

I'll never be Bennett's biggest fan as a right back but I agree people look to fault the guy. If Travis was playing there and did the same things he'd get nowhere near the same abuse because he's come through 

We always have a fall guy, this time last year it was Williams now hes universally loved.

For me he edges it over Nyambe, but because Nymabe is young some fans will want him. Either way no doubt we will have 5 months of people demanding a new right back in January. I’m not against that, but he’s our skipper and he’s here to stay for now so hopefully people get behind him.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the game tonight as it was a good end to end match with some intensity but I enjoyed winning more. I thought it was by a distance our best showing so far with several really good individual performances which should stand us in good stead going forward. I thought Travis and Johnson won the central midfield battle and behind them Williams was really good and showing everybody where his best position is. Dack looked hungry and was getting back to his impish best when he got injured.

There will be far tougher tests this season but two back to back clean sheets delights me.

• Like 3

A great away trip.  Good journey, entertaining match, clean sheet and a welcome away win.  I thought we looked much better at the back with Williams being outstanding.  Fair play to Walton who I have my doubts about but tonight he looked very good, particularly coming out to claim the ball.  As arbitro said, Travis and Johnson were excellent in the middle of the park and I thought Downing was man of the match with a terrific display.  His range of passing, ability to see the opening and his knack of being in the right place to keep the play moving is something we have missed.  Johnson and Downing have brought a touch of class and know-how to the team, particularly in the closing stages when they have the confidence to use the ball and retain possession.  

Attacking wise we always carried a threat and have a decent array of players to utilise during the game.  The likes of Dack, who is getting back to his best, Graham, Gallagher, Armstrong and Rothwell all offer something different at various stages of the game.

Saturday will be a tough game and Cunningham will be a serious miss for us but confidence should be high after two clean sheets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee0r said:

Bennett is an absolute liability. He shouldn’t be anywhere near that side. So many times in that first half he could have cost us a goal. It’s laughable how much Mowbray likes him. 

Johnson, Downing both very much an improvement. Gallagher did a good job out there. Travis was average today I thought but did do well at the weekend. 

Makes life much more comfortable bringing Graham on off the bench to defend a lead. 

Still a lot to work on. But 6 points is bloody brilliant from where I thought we would be at 3pm last sat. 

Feck me! Don't know what game you were watching. Travis was again absolutely fantastic! :-)

1 hour ago, savage90 said:

Interesting comments from a lot of Hull fans:

“Williams in defence for Blackburn looked a class act. We were second best in every single position. Dack ran the show from the front.”

“Thought their defence handled us very well.”

Blackburn looked a very decent, well drilled team. Losing 1-0 to them doesn't mean our season is over by a long chalk. They will do well this season. I thought they looked every bit as good as Sheffield United did when they came here last April/May.”

“Credit to Blackburn who didn’t even need to get out of first gear.”

“They looked a proper established team with tactics and cohesion, and we looked what we are- a work in progress and a bunch of players who don't really know each other yet.”

“BRFC looked extremely solid and comfortable on the ball all over the pitch. Mowbray has quietly put together a very efficient unit.”

“Blackburn are walking it looks like men against boys”

“Quite simply they were better than us across the piece. Organised, focused and playing with a plan.”

:brfc:

Always interesting to see the other teams view, as we, as supporters tend to maybe be more critical. 

Good to to see Williams get a goal, he has got his head to so many crosses and corners the last few seasons, but has had a head like a fifty pence piece! Hopefully he can chip in with a few more, Downing’s excellent deliveries will help. Speaking of those two, it’s almost like the Mulgrew debacle has helped these two players. I’m sure Charlie would still be playing at CB ahead of DW and taking set pieces ahead of SD. 

Hopefully all our key players can stay fit as we are a bit threadbare at the back. 

Amazing what a few wins and clean sheets can do, I was dreading these last two matches and now the weekend can’t come quickly enough :) 

Was working sadly so didn’t watch live but recorded and watched the full game so thoughts-

great 3 points, always love an away victory. I’d say at the moment that was a battle between two mid table champ teams, we aren’t ballsy enough to grab teams by the throat and destroy them racking up a big victory but we can dig deep for 1-0 victories which we couldn’t do last season. We don’t look as flimsy holding onto a lead so mowbray gets some credit for improving the spine. 

Player thoughts-

cunningham, wow, what a difference, sign him up. An ever bigger impact than reed. 

Bennett- you know what he wasn’t horrible but grosicki has him. He simply isn’t a right back, that’s not his fault it’s mowbrays. For me rb has to be number 1 position for transfer. I don’t think nyambe is the answer and we have seen what a difference Cunningham makes. 

Walton- I think he is a slight upgrade on rays for calmness alone. I know it’s not a long term answer but yea he will do. Good pen save. 

Johnson- love his aggression and that he can strike a ball. Hate his sloppiness in our own half, he is going to be the cause of many goals against. Needs to sharpen up.

williams- I have slated him so much, but you know what, I’m changing. At centre back, he was brilliant. My mom. Take it back del, your not horrific. 

Downing- again I was against this signing purely because of his age, always thought he had good ability. His calmness and control is incredible though, so I take it back, I’m glad he is here. I’m a downing fan.

travis- I thought he was a bit poor despite others raving. He made an incredible tackle on Bowen but his passing was very sloppy. Gave the ball away a lot and doesn’t look the same travis that burst into the team. I’m critical because I rate him and I think he is better than this showing. 

Gallagher- thought he was a handful. Needs to get in amongst the goals tho. Should’ve headed at goal. But I like him. 

Armstrong- frustrating wee bugger. Don’t quite know what I think of him to be honest. Not sure he has ‘it’

upcoming-

cardiff, I’m devastated Cunningham can’t play else I’d be pretty confident of making it 3. Would honestly play hart left back as bell is as good as starting -1 goal. 

Mowbray- you have a long way for me to want you here but that was a effecient performance. Nout better than winning. Keep it up 

• Like 5

Just a thought, if Tosin has a quota of games to play and he can play RB, TM might put him in. Ball playing RB anyone? That said, don't think Bennett would be dropped.

As for Gally, wouldn't mind seeing Chapman there. Need to get the kids sharpish to learn from the pros like Downing. Hope Hart and Nyambe are taking notes from Cunningham.

For Travis, really should be viewed as a first team player by now. Surely not easy to give his level of performance game after game, considering what we had been treated with in the past (read JLowe, Akpan etc). Seems to be amongst the top 3 to 5 performers every time and we should be very happy with that. He can still progress and here's hoping he does. Can learn some of the dark arts from Johnson. Oh yah, what happened to Davenport?

Edited by Tugay's Right Foot

Hugely entertaining game before a remarkably sparse crowd of just over 10k.

Rovers bossed it apart from Grosicki. We did an excellent job on Bowen all night.

Very encouraging as there was a solid feel to Rovers' completely missing from last season. Not totally surprised by how complimentary the Hull fans are about us.

Might be premature but there is a core of 16 ish players who can all be relied upon to do a decent job. Still need to tighten up on our passing accuracy. Bennett main culprit but Johnson looks like he has a point dropping booboo in him for all his other very strong points.

All in all though, we did an excellent job at Hull and looked a class outfit most of the game.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DaveyB said:

Maybe I’m alone but I didn’t think Bennett was that bad. Not great, but not terrible either. He struggled for the first 20/30 minutes, but then I think a lot of right backs will struggle against Grosicky, but I thought he got better and nullified the threat much better in the second half. 

It’s been said many times already, but Williams is a revelation at CB. Could easily have won MotM in each of the last 2 games. 

It's because Bennett is the current punchbag/scapegoat just as Williams has been in the past. Undeserved in both instances in my view 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Shakey for a spell in the first half where we gave away sloppy balls and couldnt deal with Grosiski but after that, we looked the better side for most of the match.

All could have been different if the penalty went in but football is a game of fine margins and for once, we were on the right side of them.

Bowen is classed as one of, if not the best, players in this division and we kept him quiet in the main. Cunningham and Downing have to take immense credit for that. Conversely, Grosiscki had the other flank to himself at times.

Williams, what can I say that hasnt already been said? Guy has taken a lot of flack in the past couple of seasons at LB but boy, keep this up at CB and you will quickly become one of the most popular players on the terraces. Even Hull fans raving about him wishing they had someone like him at the back.

Downing, model professional. You can see why he has spent so long at the top of the game. Cultured, professional, rarely makes a bad decision, still has a fair bit of pace and a fantastic left peg. 

Cunningham, I knew he would be a big upgrade but that is easy to say with what he has to compete with for that spot. Massive reason for keeping one of their dangerman at bay. Defensively good but also offers a lot going forward as well. Get him in permanent Tony!

Johnson - Does lots that is good but is also prone to doing lots that is wrong. Great left peg, a unit in the middle, good in the air. Just he gets caught alot in the middle, which hopefully can be ironed out. 

Travis - Fairly similar to what I just said about Johnson. They are a big upgrade on Evans/Smallwood that is for sure but Travis, like Johnson was responsible for giving the ball away quite a bit. Hopefully as they further gel, this will be cut out a bit more down the line. That said, Batty in CM for them impressed me and perhaps he was a part of the reason - once he went off, the two controlled midfield quite easily.

Dack - Few sparks of what we know he can do. I think he is still coming to terms of this new style and what it requires of him. I prefer him further up the pitch where he can make those late runs. Did not see that last night at all, don't think he even had a single shot? Still, showed some great control vision and creativeness at times and is still our talisman.

Walton - More a poor penalty than a great save but it certainly gave his confidence a huge lift. Came for some big balls and claimed every single one of them.

Bennett - Had a torrid time for a lot of the first half but he was up against one of the best wingers in the division. Can never fault his passion and drive and it is not his fault he is being picked at RB.  Got better in the second half and made one tackle in particular that was fantastic. Still, its an area we really need to strengthen. 

Arma and Gallacher, not really through much fault of their own, plenty of effort and endeavor but not much else. Gallacher is not a winger and neither is Arma, SG doesnt have the burst pace and tricks while Arma has the pace but is a one-trick pony with a poor final ball. Id be getting Rothwell or Chapman in on the right. 

TM - Cant fault him for this game. Finally starting to see some shoots from this new style but its early days. 

• Like 1

Bennett is a poor RB, Williams is a poor LB but a more than decent CB

Bennett is not my ''current'' punchbag/scapegoat, I've always thought him a below-average Championship player. Nothing new. Take away his undoubted effort and there's not much else.

Now we have a proper LB in Cunningham, well at least for this season, maybe it will encourage Mowbray to get a decent RB too. Bennett isn't that and Nyambe seems ruined by his 'development' at Rovers.

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Watched the whole game on Sky. Really pleased with the win, which I thought we deserved even if our goal really should have been disallowedd. For me....

Disagree and the referee got that one absolutely spot on, in fact he too had a great game.

It's not an offence to mark a goalkeeper, it's pretty much common practice. If he'd got clear of Armstrong and then been held back it would have been a foul. The fact the keeper didn't even appeal spoke volumes.

• Like 1

Thoughts on the game:

1. Downing was fantastic and so far is anything but the Danny Murphy type we all feared. Was unlucky not to score a Worldie against Boro and again tonight when hitting the post. Wonderful performance and our left hand side looks really strong with him and Cunningham linking up well together. 

2. Williams is a revelation at CB. Never changed my opinion of a player so drastically after a change in position but he looks a totally different player there.

3. Travis and Johnson looking like they're becoming a solid partnership. Johnson did get himself into a muddle a few times and gave away the pen but was unlucky not to score with that cracking effort that clipped the bar. 

4. Best performance from Walton so far. Looked much more confident and the pen save was a big moment for him.

5. We are gonna miss Cunningham on Saturday. He's settled in really well and looks a player. 

Edited by sharpysharps86

Downing was fantastic and if he can perform to that level all season we will have one hell of player. Dont think we are that far away. A decent RB and some better back ups In January in a few positions and there's no reason why we cant finish top half

11 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Armstrong blatantly fouled their keeper by backing into him with force and putting him off balance.

VAR would have spotted it.

If we had conceded in a similar fashion we would all have been in riot mode.

Hold on a minute. Watch the build up to it. Armstrong takes up his position, not touching the keeper. Their keeper then starts pushing Armstrong and as the free kick is being taken actually pulls Armstrong closer to him. So VAR should pick this as well and as their keeper commits the first offence it would be a penalty.

But in today's world then yes I agree Armstrong is backing into him and it is also a foul.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Hold on a minute. Watch the build up to it. Armstrong takes up his position, not touching the keeper. Their keeper then starts pushing Armstrong and as the free kick is being taken actually pulls Armstrong closer to him. So VAR should pick this as well and as their keeper commits the first offence it would be a penalty.

But in today's world then yes I agree Armstrong is backing into him and it is also a foul.

Just had another look at the iFollow extended highlights. A lot of pushing, as usual, going on as a freekick is about to be taken. It's Armstrong's late backing into the keeper, left arm across the keeper and then he 'rolls' him that swing it to a foul for me.

Having said that Armstrong did damn well in taking on the much bigger lad. Maybe a deliberate ploy to put our smallest player against the keeper, clever.

• Like 3