BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, arbitro said:

Although chuffed to bits with the win and clean sheet I can't get carried along with some of the euphoria I am reading. In the first half nearly all of Hull's chances came from our errors, primarily giving the ball away cheaply and at times over playing in the wrong areas. On another night we could have been punished.

In my opinion there is still lots of work to do with this squad but results and clean sheets will certainly build confidence.

I think all round, that good work is more evident than errors. Some times last season it was the other way round

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Harsh considering Nyambes "chance" was alongside two teenage youth players and the crabs in midfield.

Put Nyambe in the first XI and see who is better.

We have some real leadership finally, Bennett simply isn't needed as he was in L1.

Good win, I wish we could show a bit more desire to get a 2nd and use our brains a bit more.

That stat on the Lenihan-Williams partnership is staggering, positive.

Yer, thats fair enough.

For whatever reason though, Mowbray doesn't seem to rate him (certainly not above Bennett at least)

To be honest, i'd hope a right back is our next transfer target (if Nyambe isn't going to get a game)

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Of course. But I can see better footballers in key positions, to me that is the most important development over performances and the obvious need to cut out mistakes at this stage.

I agree we have upgraded in areas where we needed to and I see real improvements but I just think expectations have fluctuated on the back of two wins from the first two defeats. Most importantly though I think the players and management will have their feet on the ground.

Just now, rigger said:

I think all round, that good work is more evident than errors. Some times last season it was the other way round

That is true and a sign of progression but there will be times when we are punished for our own errors.

Mowbray quip about Travis, whilst delivered with a touch of humour had a cryptic message in it for me.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Mattyblue said:

A bad player, or having a bad game?

Second one is subjective, 1st one? They can feel free to bring back Smallwood or Evans or Lowe or Williamson or Akpan.

The first one. I can't be bothered scrolling back right now, but needless to say, I disagree with their sentiment. 

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Although chuffed to bits with the win and clean sheet I can't get carried along with some of the euphoria I am reading. In the first half nearly all of Hull's chances came from our errors, primarily giving the ball away cheaply and at times over playing in the wrong areas. On another night we could have been punished.

In my opinion there is still lots of work to do with this squad but results and clean sheets will certainly build confidence.

Oh for sure. Fine margins. If penalty went in, we were punished for our mistakes, Arma was arguably offside and impeding the keeper, Cunningham could easily have conceded a penalty. We also hit the woodwork on three occasions though, SG probably should have went for goal, Armas big chance.

All fine margins and it could so easily have been different.

I think people are just very impressed with certain aspects. Downing was a signing that even the most optimistic would have been a little surprised about given his age and our recent history when signing players at that stage of their career. Williams performance another aspect that has really surprised people last night. Walton too, very steady in the sticks. We look more comfortable in the last 15-minutes of matches too, which is very refreshing, last season you could almost bet your house that we would be conceding.

The defence as a unit has been improved but is also very thin. Experience has brought better game management.

Can only take positives from last night really. August was always going to be a difficult month on paper (even though Mercer now calls Boro and Hull ordinary) and despite a rough start, we have turned things around nicely. 

• Like 5

One thing that stood out for me last night was the balance in the side, with Cunningham, Williams, Johnson & Downing all being left footed, makes a big difference I think.

Such a shame Cunningham can't play on Saturday, I fully expect Williams to be shunted out to left back to allow Tosin to come in at centre half, I also imagine that Graham will be back in for Armstrong.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

That is true and a sign of progression but there will be times when we are punished for our own errors.

Mowbray quip about Travis, whilst delivered with a touch of humour had a cryptic message in it for me.

Lets hope the Charlton game was our quota for a while.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Anyone hear Sky apologise for some bad language, 'FO Derrick' IIRC. Made me laugh.

Very funny as I expect many of us said exactly the same thing at the same time. Someone posted the clip on here somewhere.

Just now, arbitro said:

I agree we have upgraded in areas where we needed to and I see real improvements but I just think expectations have fluctuated on the back of two wins from the first two defeats. Most importantly though I think the players and management will have their feet on the ground.

Listening to Downing and TM’s post match interviews I think they have. They both spoke about “making hard work of it” and I thought that was telling.

Really enjoyable night though.

• Like 4

Did anyone see the post match interview with Williams where he said (paraphrasing) that he was fed up of being moved from left back to cb and wanted to focus on one position (cb) and improve. Tony agreed with him.so maybe that is the end of Williams at left back, 

makes you think how many other players are uncomfortable not playing in their preferred positions. That’s another reason I don’t like how Bennett gets abused off a small minority. Ultimately the blame lies with the manager.

lets hope we can kick on now and I will happily eat my words about tony if we continue in the same vain as last night 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Agree 100%. The perfornance wasn’t perfect but it was exactly what the manager has been talking about wanting to do for two years. “Let’s go there, get on the front foot and cause them some problems” 

The summer signings in general have been fantastic and a massive improvement. The only question mark at the moment is Gallagher but the margins with strikers are so slim. He had two chances against Charlton and a header just past the post vs Fulham. If one of those goes in then the next one does too and that header across the box last night is aimed into the top corner. Personally I’d stop playing him on the right and set up a straight dual with DG for that top spot. I think Gally will be a top top player for Rovers.

Note - I can see why TM doesn’t play DG away from home. Literally looks like a different player! Non existent when he came on. Weird.

Very much agree on Graham. He a different player when he doesnt start..

14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray said it was work in.progress atm as we can improve and play that final ball much better. Clean sheets help the defence and keeper confidence. 

But you can see the confidence improvement in Walton. Lenihan and Williams played like they wouldnt give up that clean sheet without a fight. Good to see. 

• Like 2

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think after watching the last few games I really get the Gallagher on the wing thing. It's not an offensive move, it's actually a very smart defensive move. It almost entirely negates the opposition's ability to play a high line and get on top during a match.

Essentially we are saying to the opponent - "if you push up as soon as we turnover possession we will ping a long ball out right to our 6ft2 forward who will win it 80/90% of the time in the air, oh and also he is likely to actually be quicker than your full back. So if you want to push up, go on, make my day". Net result is opposition play 20m deeper and their left back and left centre back are taken almost entirely out of the game. It totally disrupted Boro and Hull. Also while the actual effective knockdowns to one of our players are few,  it creates a lot of chaos and second balls we can profit from.

Not pretty but I think it will work consistently as Gallagher has all the attributes. Think the likes of Rothwell, Buckley and Chapman will be restricted to subs appearances.

Great point. 

Imagine Gallagher playing against us and on Bennett. Bennett would be in for a tough night. Gallagher is very quick for a big lad. 

• Like 1

All in all a good performance last night and a deserved win. Surprised we didn't concede, especially first half with the chances they had and I'm a surprised we didn't score more than one with the chances we created. The game itself didn't feel like a 0-1 game as it was very open in parts but we dominated the second half.

Some thoughts:

Walton - Good penalty save, took some crosses well and his distribution is marked improvement on Raya.

Bennett - Struggled vs Grosiki 1st half but stuck at it and improved in the second half.

Williams - His best game in a Rovers shirt. Scored the goal and a couple of great last ditch tackles. Looks so much better at centre half, my only hope is that he isn't shifted to left back at the weekend.

Cunningham - Sign him up

Travis and Johnson - Starting to look good but there is still some creases to Iron out there defensively as a pair and both were guilty of giving possession away at times. Big improvement on Evans and Smallwood

Downing - Fantastic, has technical ability, a football brain and the legs of a man 5 years younger.

Dack - Looked like Bradley Dack again.

Gallagher - A nuisance and worked hard again but he's really really not a winger in my eyes. I hope he ends up rotating with Graham.

Armstrong - Dangerous and slightly frustrating, touch let him down a few times.

Rothwell - Thought he looked very tidy when he came on. I wish he played more.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think after watching the last few games I really get the Gallagher on the wing thing. It's not an offensive move, it's actually a very smart defensive move. It almost entirely negates the opposition's ability to play a high line and get on top during a match.

Essentially we are saying to the opponent - "if you push up as soon as we turnover possession we will ping a long ball out right to our 6ft2 forward who will win it 80/90% of the time in the air, oh and also he is likely to actually be quicker than your full back. So if you want to push up, go on, make my day". Net result is opposition play 20m deeper and their left back and left centre back are taken almost entirely out of the game. It totally disrupted Boro and Hull. Also while the actual effective knockdowns to one of our players are few,  it creates a lot of chaos and second balls we can profit from.

Not pretty but I think it will work consistently as Gallagher has all the attributes. Think the likes of Rothwell, Buckley and Chapman will be restricted to subs appearances.

Not sure I buy into this. Watching Gallagher on the wing doesn't do anything for me. He looks awkward out wide and doesn't really have the skills to beat a full back one on one. Surely a pacey winger who can dribble and run in behind would be more effective at this? Hopefully we will see him getting into the box more when the ball is coming from the other flank. He needs to use his size to more effect. He does put a shift in though. Needs a goal for confidence. Had a great opportunity to go for goal at the back post but tried to head across goal to Dack. Sign of low confidence in front of goal. 

Armstrong frustrates. Has all the pace in the world but hardly uses it. Reminds me of a poor mans Walcott. 

Our centre midfield is much stronger than last year and generally bossed the game. 

Williams has been a bit of a revelation at CB. From a dogger of a full back to a seemingly very solid CB. I take my hat off to him following my criticism throughout most of his Rovers career. 

Another player I should eat some humble pie with is Downing. Thought he was a pointless signing, replacing Conway like for like. After watching him last night he is 2 or 3 levels above Conway and still looks to have plenty of energy. 

Edited by benhben
  • Like 1

Just now, benhben said:

Not sure I buy into this. Watching Gallagher on the wing doesn't do anything for me. He looks awkward out wide and doesn't really have the skills to beat a full back one on one. Surely a pacey winger who can dribble and run in behind would be more effective at this? Hopefully we will see him getting into the box more when the ball is coming from the other flank. He needs to use his size to more effect. He does put a shift in though. 

I think the idea is if you have Armstrong or Chapman out there you need to hit them accurately which in turns means waiting for the right moment and right position.

With Gallagher you can play that ball into him any time from any position. It's always on. Hence causes major headache for opposition defence.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Agree 100%. The perfornance wasn’t perfect but it was exactly what the manager has been talking about wanting to do for two years. “Let’s go there, get on the front foot and cause them some problems” 

The summer signings in general have been fantastic and a massive improvement. The only question mark at the moment is Gallagher but the margins with strikers are so slim. He had two chances against Charlton and a header just past the post vs Fulham. If one of those goes in then the next one does too and that header across the box last night is aimed into the top corner. Personally I’d stop playing him on the right and set up a straight dual with DG for that top spot. I think Gally will be a top top player for Rovers.

Note - I can see why TM doesn’t play DG away from home. Literally looks like a different player! Non existent when he came on. Weird.

That wasnt a result of Graham playing away from home, more an example of how he isnt suited to being an impact sub. He has to start to make an impact.

I dont recall 2 clear chances against Charlton for Gallagher? And I have personally not seen any evidence that he will become a "top top player" for us and wasnt surprised to see that hes gone 21 games without a goal. He doesnt look at home on that right hand side either. A big question mark at the moment for me is getting a return from these 14m worth of forwards that Mowbray has signed. A lot of the rest of the puzzle seems to be coming together but for that sort of output we need a cutting edge and some goals from those 3 very soon.

Armstrong I felt was quite ineffective as a central striker, repeatedly being caught offside and when he was played in, let down by a heavy touch. 

50 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Anyone who thinks Bradley Johnson is bad doesn't understand football in my view. Yes he'll sometimes give the ball away because he constantly looks to pass forward and yes he'll pick up yellow cards and even occasionally give pens away because he's physical and combative. But he combines technical ability and physical play like no one we've had in midfield for years. He covers so much ground, never hides or shirks or looks to do the easy thing. Absolute nuisance in midfield and I love it. 

And he didn't even have that good a game last night!

I certainly wouldnt doubt that Johnson was a very good signing and a massive improvement on our central midfield. Has plenty of qualities that we lacked  But giving the ball away isnt "because hes trying to pass forward" he seems to struggle picking the ball up on the half turn when we play it out from the back and it has happened at least once in each of the 4 games this season. He is somewhat cumbersome and clumsy taking the ball on the half turn and at times lacks awareness as to whats over his shoulder.

Was very end to end and an exciting match,

We fully deserved the win, and in the space of a week have gone from poor start to three wins on the bounce and the world looks a happier place :-).

Hull are no mugs, TM tactically got it Bob on.

Hull play so high, making the decision to use Armstrong down the middle a good one, it allowed us to have more of the ball and create a number of chances by stretching Hull.

I was unsure what Downing would bring to us so late in his career and tbh was underwhelmed with his signing. However it's good to be wrong, he's added genuine quality/consistency in passing/ crossing in the final third which creates chances. 

As TM stated , we've lots of improvement in us, we need to start scoring goals again from open play and put games to bed, that being said, it's about getting the points and I will take 1-0 every week if it gets us to the right end of the table.

We move onto Saturday now with a bit of confidence, if we get three points , that table is going to look pretty good, and it would be deemed an excellent start to the season.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Armstrong blatantly fouled their keeper by backing into him with force and putting him off balance.

VAR would have spotted it.

If we had conceded in a similar fashion we would all have been in riot mode.

Possibly, but if Walton had made as little effort to get past Armstrong as their keeper did I would be up in arms about him. He was as soft as s***

• Like 5