BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

9 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I think people are way to harsh on Bennett. He didn’t play badly tonight. I must of missed the tackle you are on about but he did more good than bad

I think Bennett gets a lot of stick unfairly and his work rate last night was immense, including that saving tackle. All the same he gives the ball away a lot and made an awful header last night. I like having him in the squad but he’s definitely a weak link for me. Hard to criticise someone with his work rate and commitment, especially after the charlatans that have been in our team over the past few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

A word of warning  - though we deserved to win - the last two wins have all been about fine margins - which could easily go against is in the next match. In the same way the fine margins went against us in the previous two matches.

Encouraging signs - but let's be realistic.

Much like Sheff Utd last season.

Listening to Sky's pre match last night we were to struggle against (£20m) Bowen and Eaves. Bowen missed a penalty and Eaves was substituted. Well done to all players, management and vocal support. Great team work.

Got to say Cunningham is exactly what we need. The way he run through challenges from the back with a shot on target was perfect. Hope this becomes a trade mark for him.

• Like 5

Good win and a good performance but as TM said lots to improve upon.

One of the most pleasing things last night, like the Fulham game, is we are going for it in away games and not trying to hold on.

Against Fulham we played pretty well, very well until the Cairney wonder goal, last night we also went for it and it could have gone wrong with the penalty but overall I think we will get (hopefully a lot) more points being more positive with this team.  I think if we can truly be on the front foot more going into games then there's a lot to be optimistic about this season, it will go wrong sometimes but I hope we continue with it through the odd bad result.

• Like 1

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

I think Bennett gets a lot of stick unfairly and his work rate last night was immense, including that saving tackle. All the same he gives the ball away a lot and made an awful header last night. I like having him in the squad but he’s definitely a weak link for me. Hard to criticise someone with his work rate and commitment, especially after the charlatans that have been in our team over the past few years. 

That’s exactly how I see it. I would still start nyambe over him

• Like 3

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

Ya, in fairness to Bennett a lot of the work he does well isn't the most glamorous. Hull arguably have two wingers that would make 90% of teams in the league in Grosicki and the young lad whose name escapes me. Well Bennett was on them all the time and a few glimpses aside, didn't allow them much. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought the coverage of sky was pathetic last night. It seemed they had decided before the game that Hull would win and done no prep on us potentially winning, so post game they were taking like Hull had won. Did anyone else notice this? 

Stopped watching as soon as the match ended tbh. Get much better points and debate on here (generally) than anything Sky come up with. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, benhben said:

Not sure I buy into this. Watching Gallagher on the wing doesn't do anything for me. He looks awkward out wide and doesn't really have the skills to beat a full back one on one. Surely a pacey winger who can dribble and run in behind would be more effective at this? Hopefully we will see him getting into the box more when the ball is coming from the other flank. He needs to use his size to more effect. He does put a shift in though. Needs a goal for confidence. Had a great opportunity to go for goal at the back post but tried to head across goal to Dack. Sign of low confidence in front of goal. 

Armstrong frustrates. Has all the pace in the world but hardly uses it. Reminds me of a poor mans Walcott. 

Our centre midfield is much stronger than last year and generally bossed the game. 

Williams has been a bit of a revelation at CB. From a dogger of a full back to a seemingly very solid CB. I take my hat off to him following my criticism throughout most of his Rovers career. 

Another player I should eat some humble pie with is Downing. Thought he was a pointless signing, replacing Conway like for like. After watching him last night he is 2 or 3 levels above Conway and still looks to have plenty of energy. 

Did alright beating the fullback to win the free kick that led to the only goal of the game tho tbf. 

• Like 1

I thought the coverage of sky was pathetic last night. It seemed they had decided before the game that Hull would win and done no prep on us potentially winning, so post game they were taking like Hull had won. Did anyone else notice this? 

They also blew Armstrongs input into the goal completey put of proportion. If that was Walton in goals I would be expecting him to push a little midget out of the way and at least make an attempt to claim the ball. 

Funnily enough I thought the commentator/co-commentator had done a reasonable amount of research on our start to the season, particularly in respect of TM's selections and his thinking behind them. I distinctly remember them talking about 'reverting' to the longer style into Danny Graham for the Boro match and it paying dividends, but that Armstrong's pace was being utilised for last night's game as he had terrorised Hull in the corresponding fixture last season. That's the sort of insight I would expect and i appreciated it to be fair. I only listened to TM and DW's interviews after the game, I rarely listen to the studio discussions so couldn't comment on that.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 5

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Funnily enough I thought the commentator/co-commentator had done a reasonable amount of research on our start to the season, particularly in respect of TM's selections and his thinking behind them. I distinctly remember them talking about 'reverting' to the longer style into Danny Graham for the Boro match and it paying dividends, but that Armstrong's pace was being utilised as he had terrorised Hull in the corresponding fixture last season. That's the sort of insight I would expect and i appreciated it to be fair. I only listened to TM and DW's interviews after the game, I rarely listen to the studio discussions so couldn't comment on that.

No the commentary was good. They even brought up about Dack and Grahams relationship and how Dack needs to figure out a way to play with a different striker. It was the "punditry" post game with John Goodman and Kevin Davies that I thought was awful. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, den said:

Possibly, but if Walton had made as little effort to get past Armstrong as their keeper did I would be up in arms about him. He was as soft as s***

Very true, their keeper was soft and rooted to his line.

Williams had some leap and great header, I remember thinking what a Kodak moment that was, Williams with a header on target and scoring.

• Like 1

No the commentary was good. They even brought up about Dack and Grahams relationship and how Dack needs to figure out a way to play with a different striker. It was the "punditry" post game with John Goodman and Kevin Davies that I thought was awful. 

Should stick to his films.

• Like 4

Thought Mowbrays post match interview comments reg Walton were interesting. He basically said there is more to Goalkeeping than just shop stopping. He wants a keeper to control his box, be brave and come for crosses. Basically saying everything he thought Raya didn't do..

• Like 1

What a good result last night, managed to catch the second half in the local.

We look a much stronger team than last year on the last two performances, looks like TM has probably had Williams in mind as CH all along.

Downing is proving to be an excellent signing so far and Walton looked good.

COYB, looking forward to Ewood on Saturday.

• Like 2

A good performance and result and a lot to be pleased about last night. A number of good performances across the pitch from another clean sheet through to creating numerous good opportunities and some decent football. Probably more clear cut chances last night than in our previous 3 matches combined. 

The last two games have shown progress but with plenty of room to go on. Far from the finished article but signs we can be more than strugglers this season. I still worry about scoring goals which I shouldn't with the ammunition we have in our ranks but we still appear to be too indirect and wasteful from good positions for my liking.

First game of the season I've properly enjoyed last night with Charlton and Fulham quite depressing and Middlesbrough more relief than enjoyment. Hull will probably be midtable but are a decent side at their place so it's a tough place to go and win.

Attendance of just over 10,000 but I reckon more like 6000-7000 there in reality.

Can't beat a 1-0 away win, midweek away wins are rare here.

On to Cardiff and I'm feeling more confident about things. They've struggled and we have an extra day's rest, we should be confident.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It was a bit strange, especially as they both said we deserved to win.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Was there any word in the TV commentary about Dacks injury? I noticed he didn't go down the tunnel for treatment immediately but I spotted him later disappearing to the dressing room.

He was on the pitch at full time applauding the fans

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Fck off Derrick!

Mowbray's back in my good books for this alone.

Childish I know, but I don't care, had me laughing out loud.

And then the commentators had to apologise for him, good stuff. 

• Like 7