BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Was there any word in the TV commentary about Dacks injury? I noticed he didn't go down the tunnel for treatment immediately but I spotted him later disappearing to the dressing room.

no nothing said about it. Look more of impact injury tbh

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

That wasnt a result of Graham playing away from home, more an example of how he isnt suited to being an impact sub. He has to start to make an impact.

I dont recall 2 clear chances against Charlton for Gallagher? And I have personally not seen any evidence that he will become a "top top player" for us and wasnt surprised to see that hes gone 21 games without a goal. He doesnt look at home on that right hand side either. A big question mark at the moment for me is getting a return from these 14m worth of forwards that Mowbray has signed. A lot of the rest of the puzzle seems to be coming together but for that sort of output we need a cutting edge and some goals from those 3 very soon.

Armstrong I felt was quite ineffective as a central striker, repeatedly being caught offside and when he was played in, let down by a heavy touch. 

I certainly wouldnt doubt that Johnson was a very good signing and a massive improvement on our central midfield. Has plenty of qualities that we lacked  But giving the ball away isnt "because hes trying to pass forward" he seems to struggle picking the ball up on the half turn when we play it out from the back and it has happened at least once in each of the 4 games this season. He is somewhat cumbersome and clumsy taking the ball on the half turn and at times lacks awareness as to whats over his shoulder.

Gallagher missed a chance in the penalty area that he should have done better with. miss hit it. He proved he can perform from the right wing like he did against Boro where he was very good. Majority of those apperences Gallagher ha played in would have been under Steve Cotterill who played long ball route one football. that style doesn't suit his style. 

Armstrong played a vital role with his pace cos Hull played such a high line defensive he could get in regular and he should have scored 1. 

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Hull will probably be midtable but are a decent side at their place so it's a tough place to go and win.

On to Cardiff and I'm feeling more confident about things. They've struggled and we have an extra day's rest, we should be confident.

Hull have some decent players but we stop Bowen all night. The other winger played well but second half we stop him mostly. Hull lack an quality striker and 2. 

On Cardiff, for me, I'm surprise by Warnock signings up front this summer. I expect better tbh. 

I go away on holiday, downhearted and worried about the "poor" recruitment etc and we go and win 3 games in a week. Last night sounded great.

I followed all the ups and downs via BRFCS. Honestly, you can really live through everything from afar. All the while,  the thing you dread most is a single post of "FFS!" to tell you the worst has happened.

I think it is time for me to say I was wrong about the centre- back issue. Maybe, Williams is a kind of David May-poor at full back, but good as a centre-half...and maybe, Tony does know a lot more than I do.

Absolutely loved the " Fuck Off Derrick" excerpt which my son forwarded to my phone. That shows us something about Tony's expectations too...

Love the message board!

• Like 7

Yes i heard TM last night and  i said the same thing  from my front room ha, ha, ha, brilliant . But credit  due apart from the mad dive in near or half way line and the bad pass which TM told him fook off about  i thought Big D was outstanding  can he be made captain  please. And ive forgot the name of the lad who's gone to Wigan whats his name again ? .

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No the commentary was good. They even brought up about Dack and Grahams relationship and how Dack needs to figure out a way to play with a different striker. It was the "punditry" post game with John Goodman and Kevin Davies that I thought was awful. 

Kevin f***ing Davies hates Rovers what would expect?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher missed a chance in the penalty area that he should have done better with. miss hit it. He proved he can perform from the right wing like he did against Boro where he was very good. Majority of those apperences Gallagher ha played in would have been under Steve Cotterill who played long ball route one football. that style doesn't suit his style. 

Disagree that Gally was very good vs Boro, didn't think he was great last night either, won the freekick that led to the goal by using his physicality to recover a poor touch.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

no nothing said about it. Look more of impact injury tbh

Armstrong played a vital role with his pace cos Hull played such a high line defensive he could get in regular and he should have scored 1. 

Hull have some decent players but we stop Bowen all night. The other winger played well but second half we stop him mostly. Hull lack an quality striker and 2. 

On Cardiff, for me, I'm surprise by Warnock signings up front this summer. I expect better tbh. 

Gallaghers main attribute so far bar undoubted work rate has been his ability to beat primarily full backs to longer direct balls and flick them on, either way he needs to start scoring. Hes not offered a goal threat so far. Very poor decision yesterday to head the ball back across. I dont understand this myth that Gallagher would be right at home playing technical passing football. 

We need far more from our expensive strikers. Brereton has consistently been out of his depth. Gallagher has offered an outlet but simply must not be used wide, he should be Grahams main competition. Armstrong in a Rovers shirt has undoubtedly been the most effective of the 3 but was poor last night and too often looks half arsed. He needs to improve on his numbers this season. Between the 3 of them we need plenty of goals because whilst the puzzle is coming together we still lack a goal threat so far.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Disagree that Gally was very good vs Boro, didn't think he was great last night either, won the freekick that led to the goal by using his physicality to recover a poor touch.

He's still a very loose player in my view. Still prone to heavy touches. Think he should've scored with that second half header that he ended up pulling back across goal. 

That said I think overall his contribution has been good in the last week. Take your point about relying on physicality, but that can go a long way if you've got the sort of attributes that Gally has. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Gallaghers main attribute so far bar undoubted work rate has been his ability to beat primarily full backs to longer direct balls and flick them on, either way he needs to start scoring. Hes not offered a goal threat so far. Very poor decision yesterday to head the ball back across. I dont understand this myth that Gallagher would be right at home playing technical passing football. 

We need far more from our expensive strikers. Brereton has consistently been out of his depth. Gallagher has offered an outlet but simply must not be used wide, he should be Grahams main competition. Armstrong in a Rovers shirt has undoubtedly been the most effective of the 3 but was poor last night and too often looks half arsed. He needs to improve on his numbers this season. Between the 3 of them we need plenty of goals because whilst the puzzle is coming together we still lack a goal threat so far.

I'm not really sure if Gallgher is even really expected to score goals? He got in the box incredibly infrequently. Think we are looking to Dack primarily as our goal scorer, with a few chipped in from other areas in the team, mostly from set plays.

Goals are going to be a problem for us. Mulgrew who scored 10 for us has left, and Graham who scored 15 is now on the bench. None of the players who have come in are scorers. I think we will probably do well to score 55 goals this season. For context we scored 64 last year. Top six scored 69 to 93. Though equally on the other hand I think we will concede less - around 50ish this year, down from 69 last year. Probs good enough for around 10th if we hit those numbers. But if Dack gets injured we could really be in the shi**er.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

cant offer a goal threat if our final ball has been so poor as I have said many times to you before. That's the major problem but we are winning 1 nil which I will take. We need to improve in a number of areas and each week we are getting better week on week. Our passing and final ball need improving but it has been getting better week on week

The decision to head the ball back across was the right one. couldn't head it on target from his position if you look at his body and feet positions

I have discuss Brereton at length with you off this site so I don't see the need to discuss it again

I would both Gallagher and Graham against Cardiff for their height in both boxes. The biggest decision is who replace Cunningham at left back. 

3 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

MOM against Boro imo. 12 Ariel duels won was incredible. He plays an important part in the solidity of our team. 

• Like 3

Impossible to explain in words how much better Cunningham is than any left-back I've seen at Ewood since we dropped to the Championship all those years ago. He's a proper defender, who can attack too. He's got everything Bell hasn't and I'm bloody thrilled we've got him.

If all we do in Jan/Next Summer is hold onto BD, DL and JR - then get GC and CW permanently. I'm happy ;)  This team could go places if given enough time.

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm not really sure if Gallgher is even really expected to score goals? He got in the box incredibly infrequently. Think we are looking to Dack primarily as our goal scorer, with a few chipped in from other areas in the team, mostly from set plays.

Goals are going to be a problem for us. Mulgrew who scored 10 for us has left, and Graham who scored 15 is now on the bench. None of the players who have come in are scorers. I think we will probably do well to score 55 goals this season. For context we scored 64 last year. Top six scored 69 to 93. Though equally on the other hand I think we will concede less - around 50ish this year, down from 69 last year. Probs good enough for around 10th if we hit those numbers. But if Dack gets injured we could really be in the shi**er.

3 goals from 4 games, only one was an "out-field" goal. Not looking good. 

Clean sheets are going to be required from our defenders.

(PS if Dack gets injured we'll see more of Rothwell!)

38 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Agreed, Gallagher has got a lot of plaudits for his willingness and effort but its 4 games, 0 goals and hes not looking like scoring. Theres no point playing him wide when we have Rothwell, Chapman and Armstrong all far more adept there. We need our 14m strikers to step up to the plate this season, the moneys been spent and we need to become far more threatening in the final third. We are totally reliant on Dack and Graham because the rest have yet to show they can be relied upon.

And @chaddyrovers whilst the final ball definitely needs working on it is always a concern when a striker is not really getting into goalscoring positions, and when a striker hasnt scored for 21 games. I dont doubt his work rate but we havent or shouldnt have signed a 5m striker for his ability to run back as a wide man. He shouldnt be played out wide, he IMO didnt look totally comfortable there or offer an attacking threat in either game, he needs to step up and start offering an attacking threat and a goal threat. He definitely has more to work with than Brereton in terms of his power and his aerial threat but we need to get some goals back on our huge investment in that area. Armstrong needs to step up too.

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic

Back to back wins folks. Nice bit of momentum swinging our way.  Some standout performances as well last from some unexpected folk.  If we can keep fit perhaps we might have something here.  The Williams/Lenihan combo might be the answer, and having young Tonsin in the mix it adds some nice competition at the back. Big thanks to Tom Schoefield for giving up his time this week as he offers his thoughts, and we also hear from the gaffa.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed, Gallagher has got a lot of plaudits for his willingness and effort but its 4 games, 0 goals and hes not looking like scoring. Theres no point playing him wide when we have Rothwell, Chapman and Armstrong all far more adept there. We need our 14m strikers to step up to the plate this season, the moneys been spent and we need to become far more threatening in the final third. We are totally reliant on Dack and Graham because the rest have yet to show they can be relied upon.

And @chaddyrovers whilst the final ball definitely needs working on it is always a concern when a striker is not really getting into goalscoring positions, and when a striker hasnt scored for 21 games. I dont doubt his work rate but we havent or shouldnt have signed a 5m striker for his ability to run back as a wide man. He shouldnt be played out wide, he IMO didnt look totally comfortable there or offer an attacking threat in either game, he needs to step up and start offering an attacking threat and a goal threat. He definitely has more to work with than Brereton in terms of his power and his aerial threat but we need to get some goals back on our huge investment in that area. Armstrong needs to step up too.

At this moment in time give me Gallagher any day over Chapman on the wing. Chapman needs a few games off the bench to let us see has he still got it. I would be concerned that all these injuries have caught up with him physically and mentally. Gallagher is effectivee there, but ya hopefully himself and Brereton get amongst the goals soon. I hope one starts upfront Saturday. 

6 hours ago, DE. said:

Stopped watching as soon as the match ended tbh. Get much better points and debate on here (generally) than anything Sky come up with. 

In fairness they were very complimentary in the show that followed the match (forget what its called), particularly about mowbray. We'll never be the golden boys on there though like some.