BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I'll Mowbrays eyes, Chapman is well down the pecking order for a first team spot.

Might play against Sheffield Utd but I'd be amazed if he starts a league game this side if Christmas.

Doesn't really make sense though if so, it's his signing, why would you bother if you didn't rate him?

Just now, Ossydave said:

Doesn't really make sense though if so, it's his signing, why would you bother if you didn't rate him?

The fans loved Chapman. Maybe he was bought to appease them. Will backfire however if he doesn't play him. Might have a long wait like Rothwell had

20 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Very cheap deal, that we might make a bit of profit on one day is my guess.

Mowbray doesn't trust Rothwell to start games despite his end of season form last year, Chapman has absolutely no chance.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

Can't make tomorrow as I'm in the Lakes for a long weekend, but I've ummed & ahhed over a few beers tonight about how to line up given Cunningham's unavailability.

The easiest way is to straight swap him for Bell (has to be Bell given Hart played for the U23s, and absolutely do not move Williams across), but we know Warnock will pelt Bell with high balls all afternoon if we do that, which I'd not be comfortable with.

We could play Downing there with Rothwell ahead of him, as Downing has played LB before I believe. But Warnock will do the same as above,  plus we'd lose Downing's positive effect up front. Rothwell may have a stormer, but it's a bit risky relying on Downing in an unfamiliar role.

Or we could go 3 at the back, bring Tosin in alongside Lenihan & Deldini, with Bennett / Nyambe / JRC and Downing / Bell as wing backs. But that's too many changes for me, just because 1 guy cant play, though it does bring more height into our back line.

It's certainly a dilemma, but I think overall I'd go with Bell in the 4231 formation. Least disruption, and if we can get at them from the off it will hopefully nullify any attempt they make to isolate Bell. 

Up front I'd go with Graham & Dack, supported by Downing & Gallagher (due to his height & tenacity), with Johnson & Travis obviously. A bit old school I know, but it works for us in tricky matches. I don't think this is a game to experiment in; stick to what the players know & use strength and height to good effect. There's enough trickery between Dack, Downing, Travis & Johnson to do some damage to Cardiff.

I'm saying it'll be 2-1 Rovers, Graham & Downing to score. It'll be a bit nervy, not pretty, but that doesn't matter. 

• Like 2

We have played Cardiff 8 times since Division Two was conned into being called The Championship.

We have never beaten Cardiff in the Championship, 4 defeats and 4 draws.

All the draws were 1-1 with 3 of them at home. Cardiff also tonked us 1-4 at Ewood.

We are overdue a win but a draw more than likely at 1-1

There are 3 certainties. Cunningham will not play, Bennett will and Graham is the only really effective main striker at Ewood Park.

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

We have played Cardiff 8 times since Division Two was conned into being called The Championship.

We have never beaten Cardiff in the Championship, 4 defeats and 4 draws.

All the draws were 1-1 with 3 of them at home. Cardiff also tonked us 1-4 at Ewood.

We are overdue a win but a draw more than likely at 1-1

There are 3 certainties. Cunningham will not play, Bennett will and Graham is the only really effective main striker at Ewood Park.

If only. Bygones are bygones...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 2

On 21/08/2019 at 08:22, Mercer said:

Two clean sheets and wins on the bounce should have provided an enormous shot of confidence.

A stuttering start for Cardiff,  Has age finally doused Warnock's drive, hunger and passion.  Maybe, it only works for so long with the players and it gets too familar and boring.

It's a home banker for me and I'm going to bang last night's win winnings on Rovers at 11/8.

I'd go: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams, Hart, Travis, Johnson, Downing, Dack, Rothwell, Graham:

• Nyambe for Bennett - IMO, Bennett will never be an effective right back.  For my liking, time and time again, he is beaten too easily and if Mowbray perseveres with him then I think there will be more roastings to come for our hapless skipper
  • It would be folly to break up Lenihan and Williams as the two centre backs and surely Hart is better defensively than Bell
  • Rothwell for Armstrong - IMO, Armstrong offers virtually nothing other than his pace (don't think the lad has it and certainly hasn't a football brain)
  • Graham for Gallagher - not impressed with Gallagher when he was here before and, IMO, will never be the player Graham has been and still is.  An incredible Sky statistic that our £5million man hadn't netted in his previous 20 league games (now 21 games after Hull).

I think Mowbray has wasted the best part of £14million on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher and for that reason alone, should no longer be our manager.  Is Brereton injured or is Mowbray's £7million+ man so ineffective that he can't even make the bench now!? 

Shock horror, Merc predicts useless manager and players not good enough to easily beat a team last year plying their trade in the Premier league.  Amazing.

• Like 5

Yeah we went on a 4 game run in both April and January. 

The January one was when we got a bit giddy and the words Wembley and playoffs got banded about, went 2 up at Brentford then it all went horrifically wrong winning just once in 11 games ?

• Like 2

For me it is a pretty even choice over who goes out to LB- I suspect left footed Williams might be chosen. 

I would like to see Tosin play as I suspect we will need his height back there with the Cardiff long throws. I also suspect Tosin's distribution is at a level above that of Lenihan and Williams- it has to be for Guardiola to be talking the way he does about him.

Edited by philipl

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

After two clean sheets I sincerely hope he doesn't shift Williams to left back and bring Tosin in. We have been solid in central defence and I hope Mowbray understands that. It has to be Bell or Downing.

If Mowbray doesn’t continue with the Williams-Lenihan axis then it will really just show that he stumbles into and out of successful formations/personnel in spite of rather than because of good management.

• Like 1

Just now, Rovers1994 said:

does anyone else think we should make a move for Ben Marshall still available on a free? can play RB, RM and LM would solve a few problem positions for us

At RB like Bennett and JRC he'd be another non defender at full back. If we bring someone in it should be a proper defender.

At RW or LW as we have half a dozen players trying to get in there. I think we'd be better off trying to get Rothwell, Buckley and Chapman into the side than just adding another number.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

Nice day, good feeling in the air i hope the manager lets them off the reigns today !

i wouldn't have minded Warnock himself as manager not long ago but one of the few things remaining pleasurable in this league is to send the likes of him home with a bloody nose.

COYB

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Rovers1994 said:

does anyone else think we should make a move for Ben Marshall still available on a free? can play RB, RM and LM would solve a few problem positions for us

This keeps cropping up time and again by 'newbies' so if his agent is at it does he want to come back ?

Iv'e repeatedly said no al;though thinking about it a player like that would be handy in this present squad and he'd probably fit Mowbrays game plans although he'd have to chop off Bennetts head first to get in the team.

However the guy himself bailed out, maybe he was gently pushed it was a fire sale after all but he openly courted Sheff Weds etc when he was here as well as seeming a bit of a boozer.   If he did come he'd need to be on very modest wages and be prepared to stay at RWB or RB.

On a free with a 12 month deal ?  Maybe.....

• Like 1