BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, stinny1 said:

After the start we've  had i would have took your hand off if somebody  had offered us 7 points from the last three . Still think we are three quality players away from being a top six team . Right back, Right wing and a stricker. But  the defence has tighten up i was worried  when Cunningham  was missing but with some luck and good defending  we've  kept another  clean sheet.  And this will build confidence through the team Chapman needs a run out on the wing at some point. I didn't  go today so i don't  know how Bell went on . Why we brought  two forwards  in who do the same job is beyond me when we really need a proven goal  scorer but they want big wages and thats the problem  . I think money is there but we can't  compete with wages so they are gambling on the two lads theve brought in 

Bell first half was hit and miss but second half was terrible made a mistake after 54 mins that could have led to a goal fortunately Bennett spared his blushes. To me he was like a rabbit in the headlights, so much so even when he was in wide areas, players tried to do it themselves rather than pass to him. Weakest link today by a country mile

• Like 1

We had to play direct if Both Graham and Gallagher play from start. I think starting both was wrong due to Morrison and Flint at the back. Need to play Armstrong or Rothwell. Chapman needs to start performing better for under 21's to.push for a place on bench.

Im pleased with 3 clean sheets in a row. Walton getting better game by game..

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We had to play direct if Both Graham and Gallagher play from start. I think starting both was wrong due to Morrison and Flint at the back. Need to play Armstrong or Rothwell. Chapman needs to start performing better for under 21's to.push for a place on bench.

We don’t have to play direct with Graham and Gallagher, both players can play football on the ground, Graham certainly can, he’s not the most mobile but he’s technically better than some give him credit for being, as mentioned earlier he was (although younger) successful in a Brendan Rogers team and Gallagher was bought with a more passing style in mind.

• Like 2

Happy with the point and the clean sheet, but I must say the lack of goal scoring and even chance creation is starting to become a worry. Up until now I was thinking that it was just a co-incidence, teams go through patches like this, our just happened to be at the start of the season. However just 3 goals this season, none from open play in 5 games! None of our strikers or midfielders (outside of a penalty) have scored.

The selection across that top 3 behind DG is confusing. I understand Downing on the left. He is left footed and provides good quality passes and set pieces. I did think that as he is 35 and played 90 min in midweek he could have been rotated out for Rothwell, but no too much of a complaint. However, why persist with SG on the right? Surely it would have been a good change to play Rothwell or potentially Armstrong and then bring on SG for DG when he tires in the last 20.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You said that Gallagher is a player suited to a technical game. Whilst I totally disagree, why do we now have to play direct with him in the team?

And why is Chapman at a stage where he has to prove himself for the reserves to even warrant a place on the bench when our current attacking players are not performing? Even so, hes got a goal and an assist this week for them.

You have been very vocal on our need to play more entertaining football. Do you think what we have seen in the first 5 games fits this criteria, baring in mind we have 3 goals (a penalty, an own goal and one from a free kick that only counted because the ref failed to blow up for Armstrong impeding the goalkeeper whilst offside) and a lack of clear cut chances and shots on target represents progress in this area? We regularly dominate possession now, as we saw today that comprimised of slow, lethargic passing across the back line followed by an aimless hoof right into Cardiffs hands. You mention Rothwell, after a superb end to last season hes ended up right back where he started, whereas Gallagher cannot perform out wide, rarely won headers and offered no threat.

Playing ok without creating many chances. For all our defensive worries at the start of the season they are performing well. Cunningham needs to be signed in Jan if he continues performing to the high levels hes already set. We will come good and score goals but they are frustrating at the moment

Decent point, Hoilett best player on the park when he came on. Cardiff were just as stodgy as we were, which made for a tight affair.

I'd be dropping Dack, its just not good enough I'm afraid, total passenger today. Graham back to the bench too, he just isn't going to get any joy against decent sized CBs at this level. 

The Gallagher and Armstrong partnership looked to have some threat. I'm always a big fan of the little and large stiker combo in a 4-4-2.

Get Rothwell and Chapman on the wings and we might actually cause some problems. The back 4 are pretty settled and you have Nyambe and Tosin competing for spots, Travis and Johnson are two soldiers in the middle, its finding the right mix in the other 4 spots.

Still, happy enough with a point, with two tricky away games coming up in the next week.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Thought we did well overall.

If Cardiff are a favourite, I wouldn’t say there was a massive difference. Only some luck and heroic defending kept it 0-0.

Another step in the right direction for me!

Dont get how a side with supposed top 6 aspirations offering again zero going forward in a home game can be seen as doing well. 

That said, defensively much much better. 

• Like 1

In the end a point was a fair result for both sides.

An entirely predictable performance and turn of events. Bet your house on us going in at half time with 0 goals because it always happens at Ewood. Perhaps time we tried changing things around.

Thought we were solid enough defensively although did get caught out a couple of times. Going forward I thought we were weary up until Armstrong coming on which caused them problems and could have seen us snatch a win.

Seems a lot of people were happy with a point because 'this lot were in the Premier League last year' which ignoring the fact that they'd been well beaten in their previous 2 away games conceding 6 goals in the process to mighty Wigan and Reading. So not exactly mission impossible and their defence is clearly fragile. The fact we've scored 0 and barely tested their keeper to me says we've failed, as the home team, to really take the game to them other than a 5-10 minute spurt late on.

Personally I'll never aim or set out for a draw at home no matter who the opposition and i'll only accept a draw as a good result if I believe we've done exceptionally well to come away with it. Having turned up with another offensive no-show I don't think we've done anywhere near enough (again) in front of goal to win the match.

This is becoming a recurring them and whilst Mowbray and the team can point to a defensive improvement recently if that means we are completely toothless in attack then it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Mowbray has to be more astute and organise the defence whilst having much more of an attacking threat.

However much positive spin you want to put on things our goals for tally and attacking play simply hasn't been good enough. The positives are that by virtue of a defensive improvement we are putting points on the board, and you would hope with the personnel we have that goals will come. But they need to come soon because 450+ minutes with 1 OG, 1 penalty and 1 header from a free kick is not good enough. Given the expensive collection of attacking players Mowbray has brought in it is concerning that we appear no nearer to going with a unit that can open teams up and bury chances.

Waggott wants more people to buy tickets but I'd say better offerings than we've had so far this season would be the best way to do that rather than cash prizes. A good number of walk ons came down for the Charlton game, went home disappointed and the football at Ewood since then has been abject albeit successful in getting 4 points and 2 clean sheets. Personally I'll watch whatever the weather and product but i think some people will want to see some level of excitement and entertainment rather than 0 goals and passing around at the back.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Dont get how a side with supposed top 6 aspirations offering again zero going forward in a home game can be seen as doing well. 

Created some great chances, Sam G’s knock down for Dack, to lay off to DG was only stopped by fantastic defending!

The final thing about our defending- we did the basics well mostly. One Bell mistake stands out but, that for me is a much better platform to build a season on.

• Like 1

An excellent week for us with 7 points and three clean sheets. I’d certainly have taken that a week ago and it’s taken us from a shocking start to the season to a solid/good start. 

We seem to have found the solution to stop conceding goals which is a huge plus. We were going to do nothing if we kept up our record of conceding two goals a game. We haven’t found the right formula up top yet but we’ve got too many good attacking players for that to continue.  

• Like 1

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Excellent in the air. Won 12 Ariel challenges against Boro alone.

Yeah, he might not be a winger but he wins more than his share of headers. Graham wasn't close to winning one today and Gallagher provided defensive cover beating Aiden Flint in the air. 

Our main problem is that we are lacking outlet and having to resort to long punts vs Gallagher. Graham was well marshalled, Dack couldn't find any space, Downing drifted central so there was very little variation. 

Maybe Chapman could have been an impact player, but I've watched the last couple of U23 games and he doesn't look as sharp as he used too. It's a level he should dominate but he haven't

• Like 1

Satisfied with a point as I always felt today would be a draw.  A dour affair but a draw was a fair result.  Pleased with what I've seen this week in terms of keeping three clean sheets.  The defending needed to be addressed and it appears a lot of work on the training ground is beginning to pay dividends in that respect.  We now need to find a way of being more creative without losing solidity at the back.  We need Graham and Dack playing closer together in the opposing penalty area rather than leaving Graham isolated and Dack dropping back to the centre-circle.  I thought Gallagher was disappointing today after being excellent last week but, in truth, Rothwell was no better when he came on.  Armstrong injected a bit a life into the attack whilst Travis and Johnson look a good combination in midfield. 

In truth, I thought we looked a little tired at times and listening to Mowbray on the radio it sounds like a number of players may well be rested for the Sheffield game so they are ready for West Brom.  Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that and it will be interesting to see if some of the fringe players can make more of their opportunity than they did against Oldham.

• Like 1

A very very dour game of football, that certainly isn't going to have people queuing outside the ticket office to get their season ticket. 

Whilst the defence is looking more solid that for me has had an effect on our attacking play. Travis and Johnson are doing an excellent job in protecting the defence but they are offering us little going forward, the one time there was a forward run from midfield Johnson should have scored.  We are passing the ball along the floor and keeping it more now but it hasn't helped our attacking play it helps our defensive play because we see more of the ball and the play doesn't get stretched so much but it does not help our attacking play as everything is slow and predictable.

Mowbray has been here nearly three years but I still don't know what job he want's his wingers to do and more worryingly most of the players that play out there don't seem to know either. Why is Chapman not even making the bench? He would have been an ideal sub to bring on today instead we move Bennett further forward and he was poor as usual. 

Also I know neither were great today but why when we need a goal to win with 20 minutes to go does he decide to take of his two biggest goal threats. Rothwell and Dack don't play together enough, whenever they have done I have been impressed with how they have linked up, particularly towards the end of last season. I still don't think Mowbray has a clue what his best 11 is.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

Created some great chances, Sam G’s knock down for Dack, to lay off to DG was only stopped by fantastic defending!

The final thing about our defending- we did the basics well mostly. One Bell mistake stands out but, that for me is a much better platform to build a season on.

Great chances is a huge exaggeration, especially if thats the highlight. We are having more of the ball than last season yet look even less dangerous, because its just lethargic passing across the defence, that ultimately results in the same long ball forward. Our attacking play has yielded a fluky own goal, a penalty and a header that should have been ruled out. Nowhere near good enough.

Great chances is a huge exaggeration, especially if thats the highlight. We are having more of the ball than last season yet look even less dangerous, because its just lethargic passing across the defence, that ultimately results in the same long ball forward. Our attacking play has yielded a fluky own goal, a penalty and a header that should have been ruled out. Nowhere near good enough.

On a different day at Hull we score three shots outside the box, AA bags one of his 1 on 1s, and this argument is invalid.

As it stands, my main concern this season was a repeat of the constant individual errors. 

If there is one main talking point of our first 6 games, for me; we look a far more organised outfit.

Thats not to suggest we’re in a promotion movement, it’s just legitimate areas we look better: even if we’re not yet scoring the chances we took last term!

• Like 3

On a different day at Hull we score three shots outside the box, AA bags one of his 1 on 1s, and this argument is invalid.

As it stands, my main concern this season was a repeat of the constant individual errors. 

If there is one main talking point of our first 6 games, for me; we look a far more organised outfit.

Thats not to suggest we’re in a promotion movement, it’s just legitimate areas we look better: even if we’re not yet scoring the chances we took last term!

The 2 main talking points are that we look far better defensively, and totally inept going forward. Seems folly to ignore either side.

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You said that Gallagher is a player suited to a technical game. Whilst I totally disagree, why do we now have to play direct with him in the team?

And why is Chapman at a stage where he has to prove himself for the reserves to even warrant a place on the bench when our current attacking players are not performing? Even so, hes got a goal and an assist this week for them.

You have been very vocal on our need to play more entertaining football. Do you think what we have seen in the first 5 games fits this criteria, baring in mind we have 3 goals (a penalty, an own goal and one from a free kick that only counted because the ref failed to blow up for Armstrong impeding the goalkeeper whilst offside) and a lack of clear cut chances and shots on target represents progress in this area? We regularly dominate possession now, as we saw today that comprimised of slow, lethargic passing across the back line followed by an aimless hoof right into Cardiffs hands. You mention Rothwell, after a superb end to last season hes ended up right back where he started, whereas Gallagher cannot perform out wide, rarely won headers and offered no threat.

I said Graham and Gallagher we have to play direct. Not just Gallagher. We have no one running in behind their 2 centre backs of Cardiff. 

Look at ParsonBlue's comments about Chapman's performance yesterday. Did you attend? 

I would like us to play more entertaining football but we have gone back to basics to pick up points and keep clean sheets after the 1st 2 games both being lost. 

I don't think the Hull keeper was foul as it the Hull Keeper who push Armstrong 1st. 

Didn't Gallagher win 12 heading duels against Boro? did you miss this? He won some headers today. Plus Warnock put Bacuna on Dack to marked him out of game and it worked to his plan. We look more of a threat when Gallagher and Armstrong played upfront. 

aimless hoof? really? we played 68 long passes out of 348 passes we had today. Stats on the Rovers official website. which is just less than 20%. Compare to Cardiff which is over 29%

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

well you just answered your own point. Its a point against a team that is likely to be challenging for top 6 and Last season its a game we would have lost 

Edited by chaddyrovers

14 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Excellent in the air. Won 12 Ariel challenges against Boro alone.

I have read that before but how many of them created chances or were played to teammates? Most of them were out on the right wing in areas where we couldn't hurt the opposition. It's another pointless statistic with nothing tangible coming from them.

• Like 1

The 2 main talking points are that we look far better defensively, and totally inept going forward. Seems folly to ignore either side.

Inept going forward or thwarted by one of the best defences in the league?