BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom

Chapman seemed to be a reluctant "we might as well" signing. I distinctly remember TM saying more than once that Chapman wasn't high on our list of targets. I don't think he particularly rates him and only signed him because it was cheap and his mind largely risk free. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness he has been injured again a couple of times since he was back, that probably held him back. Of course the anti-Mowbray no matter what mob will just say that he wouldn't have played anyway, as is their prerogative! 

Hes been fit all season and managed 20 minutes v Oldham? 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Hes been fit all season and managed 20 minutes v Oldham? 

I am pretty sure he hasn't been fit all season. From my recollection he has been injured twice 

Here is one article saying he missed pre-season because of injury and I have seem to remember he was out of all squads again a couple of weeks after that , but maybe it wasn't explicitly said that he was injured. 

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/latest-harry-chapman-return-blackburn-16670031 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Yeah I was going to say, nothing to do with Chapman being injured, he's played enough under 23's and behind closed doors pre season matches now, it's just that Mowbray doesn't fancy him.

I was always baffled when people thought that because we bought him that TM was going to use him regularly, he didn't trust him as a starter in league one, he wasn't suddenly going to play him every week a league higher,

I said at the time, I reckon that we got him so cheap in the end that the end game was that he would be a star for the under 23's, might make a few sub appearances over time, then make a little profit on him, Similar to Nuttall.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Realistically who is or should Chapman be ahead of? The only one I can think of is Armstrong and some people would definitely disagree with me on that. Chapman should not be ahead of Downing or Rothwell. You could make the case ahead of Gallagher at times, but then I read the other day that Gallagher has won the 3rd most headers in the league this season. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am pretty sure he hasn't been fit all season. From my recollection he has been injured twice 

Here is one article saying he missed pre-season because of injury and I have seem to remember he was out of all squads again a couple of weeks after that , but maybe it wasn't explicitly said that he was injured. 

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/latest-harry-chapman-return-blackburn-16670031 

He got an injury right at the beginning of pre season and then soon returned and started playing regularly for the under 23s, he was back fit well before the end of pre season. 

Mowbray has never seemed to have any faith in him, even when he signed he said he doesnt seem him as a potential starter any time soon and was quite critical of him in general presumably as an attempt to dampen down supporters wanting to see him.

He definitely should be above Gallagher and Brereton in a wide role, neither are competent there but both have played there this season. Armstrong as you say

Nothing to do with the "anti Mowbray no matter what" group people just want to see him given a chance in a position thats been at times somewhat of a problem position under Mowbray in terms of direct attacking contributions.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He got an injury right at the beginning of pre season and then soon returned and started playing regularly for the under 23s, he was back fit well before the end of pre season. 

Mowbray has never seemed to have any faith in him, even when he signed he said he doesnt seem him as a potential starter any time soon and was quite critical of him in general presumably as an attempt to dampen down supporters wanting to see him.

He definitely should be above Gallagher and Brereton in a wide role, neither are competent there but both have played there this season. Armstrong as you say

Nothing to do with the "anti Mowbray no matter what" group people just want to see him given a chance in a position thats been at times somewhat of a problem position under Mowbray in terms of direct attacking contributions.

Ah I don't know. Mowbray has praised what he brings to the table many times. I think his fragile body worries Mowbray more than his ability and that is what has held him back. I mean he does give youth a chance, contrary to the false narrative that , thankfully, now seems to have died off. I like Chapman and would love to see him get a run out, but the reality is even if it was just pre-season he missed, that immediately puts him at a disadvantage and behind others in the pecking order. Especially for someone who is just so injury prone. There is an enormous difference between under 23s and senior, particularly in the physicality involved. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Realistically who is or should Chapman be ahead of? The only one I can think of is Armstrong and some people would definitely disagree with me on that. Chapman should not be ahead of Downing or Rothwell. You could make the case ahead of Gallagher at times, but then I read the other day that Gallagher has won the 3rd most headers in the league this season. 

That is probably because we spend all game hoofing it up to him to be fair. There are not going to be many fullbacks as tall as SG, so winning the headers should be a forgone conclusion most of the time. 

17 hours ago, DE. said:

Chapman seemed to be a reluctant "we might as well" signing. I distinctly remember TM saying more than once that Chapman wasn't high on our list of targets. I don't think he particularly rates him and only signed him because it was cheap and his mind largely risk free. 

Not worked out then has it in that case? A wage for nothing.