BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fook Off Derrick

22 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Trybull is a loan ,so he will leave t the end of the season...

Holtby contract up , will go back to Germany ..Ayala is the interesting one ,he could join Williams in US or off to Saudi again , after sitting out a year , "injured "and getting well paid...

Ayala can go now for me. Just make sure he doesn't take " The Vince Grella Award " - a gold plated walking stick, away with him.

Was a decent enough signing at the time, first cash buy for years wasn't it ?

Served us well with limited ability but always tried however another sour taste in the exit for me.  How many players have we got fit so they can further their careers elsewhere now ?  All at a time we need defenders desperately and are losing games yet still paying thousands per week to others. Wouldn't be surprised if he brought in one of the young loans just to cover this so fook off Dereck could sort himself out.

If only one of these crackpot MSL teams wanted a manager and coach......

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think it again shows you how age can dictate standards, ive seen numerous younger fans on twitter acting as if losing Williams is painful to them!

Aye, some posts on there read like we've flogged prime Puyol. A thoroughly alright player and I wish him well but it's only because of our ongoing defensive shambles that we may initially miss him. Best move for all concerned really.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 05/06/2021 at 01:00, awhom111 said:

Six match ban for a tackle that ended Andy Polo's season.

Just watched it. Six match ban is harsh in my eyes. Comments on YouTube saying he went out to injure him. I think they just don't know Derrick Williams like we do. It's a very poor tackle but more just a complete lack of awareness. He actually makes the tackle with his knees where he tries to pull out.

If of interest as MLS publishes all salaries (shocking, innit?! 😁), Williams is apparently making a base salary of $750k, going up to $821k in guaranteed compensation. So, to put that in UK football terms and at current exchange rates, about £11.1k per week.

I'd guess he was on something like £8k/week with us?

Probably better than he would manage on a new contract over here and life in LA on $800k can't be too shabby, so I can see why he was keen on the move!

Good luck to him. We all had our frustrations with him but he was ultimately pretty decent.

(Yeah, that tackle looks pretty bad but more careless/reckless than malicious)

edit: was trying to think of any other recent Rovers who had gone to MLS. Most recent I could think of was Adam Henley (now NL North with Chorley!), who was on $160k (~£2.2k/week) with Real Salt Lake a couple years ago.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Just watched it. Six match ban is harsh in my eyes. Comments on YouTube saying he went out to injure him. I think they just don't know Derrick Williams like we do. It's a very poor tackle but more just a complete lack of awareness. He actually makes the tackle with his knees where he tries to pull out.

It's not harsh at all. Whether intentional or not it was reckless beyond belief and he ended someone's season. His foot was very high. He absolutely clattered him.

On 08/06/2021 at 00:46, bluebruce said:

It's not harsh at all. Whether intentional or not it was reckless beyond belief and he ended someone's season. His foot was very high. He absolutely clattered him.

I mean he tackled him with his knees not his foot. It's a clear red. Unfortunate the fella has picked up a serious injury. But it doesn't deserve such a mad ban. You'd think he'd gone Roy Keane on him

2 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I mean he tackled him with his knees not his foot. It's a clear red. Unfortunate the fella has picked up a serious injury. But it doesn't deserve such a mad ban. You'd think he'd gone Roy Keane on him

I think it was a mad tackle more than it was a mad ban. Regardless of which part he ended up connecting with, the whole technique of how he flew in was highly dangerous. It isn't just 'unlucky' he got injured badly, it was made likely by him flying in like a loon. Tackles like that are why the high foot got banned in the first place. Rather be missing six games than what the lad on the other end got.

• Like 1