BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield united away- League cup

Do I care if we lose? Not really if it doesn't impact on league performances. 

Team I would like to see

Walton (I don't think he needs a rest and the more he plays the better imo)

Bennett Tosin Grayson Hart

Evans Buckley

Chapman  Rothwell   Butterworth

Brereton

I would certainly play a strong side to see how we do against Prem opposition. Albeit most players are familiar from last season including their signings.

Jonson looking leggy so I'd consider playing Tosin alongside Travis as cover for the back four.

Keep Williams/Lenihan going.

Just now, philipl said:

I would certainly play a strong side to see how we do against Prem opposition. Albeit most players are familiar from last season including their signings.

Jonson looking leggy so I'd consider playing Tosin alongside Travis as cover for the back four.

Keep Williams/Lenihan going.

I wouldn't risk the injuries personally. Sheffield will ring the changes from their first 11 , so we won't really be playing Prem opposition

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

• J*B pinned this topic

Rich Sharpe saying Tosin won't play, and Williams and Lenihan also expected to be rested.

Expecting:

Walton
Bennett Nyambe Grayson Cunningham
Evans Smallwood
Rothwell Dack Chapman
Graham

With the likes of Brereton, Tosin, Williams, Lenihan and Johnson not being risked. Maybe Travis gets into the midfield but I guess it depends how important the game is to TM.

6 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

The old axis of power to be returned - with Smallwood and Evans. I wouldn't risk any of Saturday's starters - but is opportunity for Chapman, Brereton, Nyambe, Rothwell and Buckley to show us what they can do.

That's the problem though for the latter five if Smallwood and Evans get over-run in midfield, it's only really fair to judge them playing with the first choice midfield.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

That's the problem though for the latter five if Smallwood and Evans get over-run in midfield, it's only really fair to judge them playing with the first choice midfield.

I don't think Evans and Smallwood are so bad that it absolves those 5 of blame if they don't perform when given the opportunity 

• Like 1

There side will be full of players they have signed and are yet to get up to speed, Ravel Morrison, Phil Jagielka, Ben Osborn, Mo Besic and Oli McBurnie, plus Billy Sharp who loves scoring against us.

As much as I agree that we need to name a much changed side, and I appreciate that the League is the main priority, I don't understand how a Rovers fan "doesnt care" whether we win or lose. Even at the Oldham game, was delighted with the 2 late goals.

But anyway, some big selection dilemmas. With Tosin out, we are down to 2 centre backs, Nyambe can't play there effectively contrary to popular belief IMO, and Grayson and Platt proved v Oldham how far away they are, so if we play them 2 again I couldn't see past a thumping which does nobody any good. Problem is, with a lack of depth, can we afford to do anything but wrap Williams and Lenihan in cotton wool? 

Chapman HAS to start, not a 20 minute cameo, a start to show his worth. Would also start Armstrong and Rothwell, and would start Gallagher up front, if he fails to score again I would take him out on Saturday.

Would also start Nyambe, Buckley (CM) and Walton.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

There side will be full of players they have signed and are yet to get up to speed, Ravel Morrison, Phil Jagielka, Ben Osborn, Mo Besic and Oli McBurnie, plus Billy Sharp who loves scoring against us.

As much as I agree that we need to name a much changed side, and I appreciate that the League is the main priority, I don't understand how a Rovers fan "doesnt care" whether we win or lose. Even at the Oldham game, was delighted with the 2 late goals.

But anyway, some big selection dilemmas. With Tosin out, we are down to 2 centre backs, Nyambe can't play there effectively contrary to popular belief IMO, and Grayson and Platt proved v Oldham how far away they are, so if we play them 2 again I couldn't see past a thumping which does nobody any good. Problem is, with a lack of depth, can we afford to do anything but wrap Williams and Lenihan in cotton wool? 

Chapman HAS to start, not a 20 minute cameo, a start to show his worth. Would also start Armstrong and Rothwell, and would start Gallagher up front, if he fails to score again I would take him out on Saturday.

Would also start Nyambe, Buckley (CM) and Walton.

I think it's inevitable Nyambe starts at centre half if we are resting Williams and Lenihan and Tosin is out, as Joe Harvey reckons. No way he goes with Platt and Grayson, who he described as not good enough at home against League Two Oldham, against Premiership Sheffield United away. He might play one of them (I'd guess Grayson) if what Joe Harvey says is true, as there really isn't anyone else. Short of putting Cunningham in at CB and Bell at LB.

Games like this really do highlight how criminally short in defence we are beyond the first choice (except at RB, where our second choice should be our first choice anyway). As soon as people are injured, unavailable or need to be rested, our options look pitiful and the jamming in of unproven youngsters or square pegs to round holes commences in earnest. TM obviously didn't grasp the issue in the summer window, we can only hope he figures it out by January. I'm not optimistic about that from his track record, but the penny has to drop eventually. Surely...

• Like 1

I want us to win every single game regardless of level. It's a good chance to give fringe players a run out as well tbh.

Breo, Rothwell and Chapman all need to start really but apart from that not too concerned who else plays.

Saturday is a huge game and one I think we shall win... 

Fringe players and kids i certainly wouldn't be starting the likes of Graham and imo we are still a little bit light in the striker dept it would be nice if there was a youngster looking to take his chance in games like this.

Brereton probably wouldn't be started up top if he was fit.

Luetwiler

Nyambe    Tosin    Grayson

JRC                                                       Bell

Buckley  Smallwood   Rothwell

Gallagher     Armstrong

That's the team I think we will see. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Luetwiler

Gallagher     Armstrong

I would not mind that side . Sorry just noticed that Bell is picked. I cannot justify him ever putting on a Rovers shirt 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Luetwiler

Gallagher     Armstrong

I’d be happy enough with that and a strong bench . I’d keep Walton in goal also

For me, Brereton has to play. We need to get him in goal scoring form and playing up front in a game like this would hopefully give him a boost. I’d love us to win but I think it’s more important to treat this game as a testing ground for fringe players. Tell the lads that the pressure is off and to go out and make it difficult for TM not to pick them next time. 

Of course we might just get stuffed but I’m with bigdogg, the league is important and this cup doesn’t really register. 

8E2027D9-77C1-4877-B983-9C6C1724E417.jpeg

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

For me, Brereton has to play. We need to get him in goal scoring form and playing up front in a game like this would hopefully give him a boost. I’d love us to win but I think it’s more important to treat this game as a testing ground for fringe players. Tell the lads that the pressure is off and to go out and make it difficult for TM not to pick them next time. 

Of course we might just get stuffed but I’m with bigdogg, the league is important and this cup doesn’t really register. 

8E2027D9-77C1-4877-B983-9C6C1724E417.jpeg

Brereton and Adarabioyo are both injured so that line up won't happen

Just now, Stuart said:

Really don’t expect anything in this one against a strong side.

Play the youngsters.

He won’t.

To be fair, he played Nyambe, Platt, Grayson, Brereton and Buckley in the last round.

It is a difficult draw, because Sheffield United will be packed with quality, McBurnie, Sharp, Morrison, Besic, Jagielka, Osborn etc. Make too many changes ourselves, and we wil get battered, then again we cant afford injuries to key players like Cunningham, Williams, Lenihan, Johnson, Travis, Dack or Graham.

Grayson and Platt were out of their depth v Oldham.