BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield united away- League cup

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray got sent off for lecturing a BallBoy about lifestyle choices. 

This is true, believe it or not.

Mowbray was initially yellow carded for leaving the technical area. He spoke to a ball boy about the time he was taking to give Rovers players the ball back. He must have said something to the referee because a red card was produced within seconds presumably for something he said.

I honestly don't know what Mowbray thought he was doing by speaking to the ball boy. That's completely out of his remit. All this 'good human being' is bollocks in my view and in my view he has made a fool of himself. Uncle Tony indeed.

The referee was poor all night and his inconsistency was about as bad as I have seen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

How depressing and confidence sapping it must be to play as a defender in front of Leutwiler.

Truly a pathetic keeper who should never have been recruited in the first instance. Playing him is the same as gifting the opposition a goal or 3 and throwing the game.

If just messing about instead of wanting to win the game then put Smallwood between the sticks, at least he would try and not be a liability outfield.

A wage stealer who in someone's madness was given a contract extension.

It’s not like Leutwiler is a kid that needs game time, he’s in his 30s and is never going to improve. Strange decision from Mowbray.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray got sent off for lecturing a BallBoy about lifestyle choices. 

This is true, believe it or not.

Reading his comments in the LET about wanting to teach the ball boy about ethics, honour, integrity and personal values the ref probably did everyone a favour. 

He does come out with some nonsense does old Tony. 

Sounds like a decent performance. Good to see Gallagher get a goal. Hopefully he will kick on from this....and play more central. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray was initially yellow carded for leaving the technical area. He spoke to a ball boy about the time he was taking to give Rovers players the ball back. He must have said something to the referee because a red card was produced within seconds presumably for something he said.

I honestly don't know what Mowbray thought he was doing by speaking to the ball boy. That's completely out of his remit. All this 'good human being' is bollocks in my view and in my view he has made a fool of himself. Uncle Tony indeed.

The referee was poor all night and his inconsistency was about as bad as I have seen. 

In fairness, Chris Wilder stuck up for TM.

• Like 2

Would imagine this will get overturned, TM noted that Wilder will likely "stick up for him" on this one, but if not, it'll be two teams without a Manager on the touchline on Saturday.

Let Damien Johnson run things, Lord knows he plays a nice brand of football.

Special mention to JRC who was great when coming on. He can literally play anywhere, from RB to basically up top. Big future for him, and Buckley played well again. It's nice to have all these pacy, young, creative midfielders! After the barren years of Danny Guthrie, Hope Akpan, Jason Lowe, Corry Evans, Peter Whittingham etc... we have to be thankful for our youth system at the minute.

Wish we had ball boys who slowed things down and helped the team out when defending leads. The one at Sheffield looked at least 16-17 and was no doubt a youth team player well rehearsed  in such things. Our ball boys are young children of Primary school age by the looks of things. We could do the same but don't.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

In fairness, Chris Wilder stuck up for TM.

Did he stick up for him because he left the technical area, spoke to the ball boy or said something to the referee? I don't know what Mowbray said to get his red card but generally referees are tolerant towards managers.

As I said for the life in me I can't understand why Mowbray went to speak to the kid and lecture him about morals particularly whilst the game was in progress. If he felt that strongly he should have sought the kid out privately after the game and spoke to him.

Completely unprofessional in my view.

3 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Would imagine this will get overturned, TM noted that Wilder will likely "stick up for him" on this one, but if not, it'll be two teams without a Manager on the touchline on Saturday.

Let Damien Johnson run things, Lord knows he plays a nice brand of football.

I'd be really surprised if it does. There might be some leniency because of his good record but he will at the very least incur a fine.

6 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Special mention to JRC who was great when coming on. He can literally play anywhere, from RB to basically up top. Big future for him, and Buckley played well again. It's nice to have all these pacy, young, creative midfielders! After the barren years of Danny Guthrie, Hope Akpan, Jason Lowe, Corry Evans, Peter Whittingham etc... we have to be thankful for our youth system at the minute.

Good point about the mids lets just hope they get used to their max whilst Johnson stays fit to anchor it.

Never like losing any game and last night was a decent effort but a good win would've got the Evans/Smallwood lightbulb flashing in Tonys head again i think.

We played well last night, not a lot you can really fault from the performance apart from actually testing the keeper, our goalkeeper & Smallwood. Dreadful players that really shouldn't be playing for us again if we want to progress.

The biggest thing is though, we are struggling to score goals, far too many "cute" attempts at through balls and making that final pass, we were trying to walk it in at times. I also don't see this changing anytime soon, we're in for a long frustrating season on that front I think.

From what I have seen of Buckley he has looked like a lost school boy, but I thought he played well last night, some real quick feet at times and clever passes, I think I would persevere with him rather than Rothwell at the moment, who just frustrates me.

JRC was really good too, problem is I don't see him getting a look in for a few months now. I'd have him on the bench every week for now and give him some sub appearances like he has been doing with Buckley.

On a last point, how far down the pecking order is Chapman now? If he can't get a run out in that sort of game he should be probably be looking to move on to get his career going again, because he isn't going to feature here.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Image result for sword damocles matter of time

Not the thread for it LV - but surely you’re in agreement that if they walked tomorrow - unless another billionaire is found, our academy, our facilities, our wage bill, our players would be sold?

I hate the Rao’s but they’ve never missed a payment yet.

The minute Davies left Bolton with huge costs and zero turnover, the writing was on the wall - would we be any different? An Anderson/Bassini from disaster...

• Like 3

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Not the thread for it LV - but surely you’re in agreement that if they walked tomorrow - unless another billionaire is found, our academy, our facilities, our wage bill, our players would be sold?

I hate the Rao’s but they’ve never missed a payment yet.

The minute Davies left Bolton with huge costs and zero turnover, the writing was on the wall - would we be any different? An Anderson/Bassini from disaster...

Just a few years ago our club was selling players from under the manager at the times nose and seeking out high interest short term football business loans before embarking on top player sales.

Thankfully there was assets on the playing staff to be sold otherwise who knows.  Lets just hope they maintain their current level of interest and there's still plenty spare change generated in India.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, benhben said:

Reading his comments in the LET about wanting to teach the ball boy about ethics, honour, integrity and personal values the ref probably did everyone a favour. 

He does come out with some nonsense does old Tony. 

Sounds like a decent performance. Good to see Gallagher get a goal. Hopefully he will kick on from this....and play more central. 

Somebody needs to talk to TM about the ethics, honour, integrity and personal values of picking Smallwood/Evans in midfield and giving Leutwiler an extension despite not being good enough to start in League 1, let alone for a Championship club.

Just now, DE. said:

Somebody needs to talk to TM about the ethics, honour, integrity and personal values of picking Smallwood/Evans in midfield and giving Leutwiler an extension despite not being good enough to start in League 1, let alone for a Championship club.

Ethics and integrity because he played some backup players? I’d perhaps look up those words and then remember opinions on footballers are subjective.

Hardly comparable to a ball boy wasting time either, which is basic cheating.

• Backroom

Ethics and integrity because he played some backup players? I’d perhaps look up those words and then remember opinions on footballers are subjective.

Hardly comparable to a ball boy wasting time either, which is basic cheating.

True, it's worse.

Just now, DE. said:

True, it's worse.

Giving players an opportunity lacks ethics and integrity?

You’re allowing hatred for someone to cloud sense DE.

Similar to the Evans contract, I’m sure many here would suggest they knew Travis would step up like he has - but for the rest of us mere mortals, it’s easy to say in hindsight that it wasn’t necessary!

• Backroom

Giving players an opportunity lacks ethics and integrity?

You’re allowing hatred for someone to cloud sense DE.

Similar to the Evans contract, I’m sure many here would suggest they knew Travis would step up like he has - but for the rest of us mere mortals, it’s easy to say in hindsight that it wasn’t necessary!

Mate, I'm not being 100% serious here. I'm just making a little light of the situation. Maybe I needed to add a smiling emoji or something to make it clear I don't consider picking Evans or Smallwood on the same level as cheating - I thought it would be absurd enough to be obvious but I guess not. 

For the record disagreeing with TM's decisions doesn't equate to me "hating" him, although I find it interesting you've come to that conclusion. Whilst I often disagree with what he does I've always said he's a decent enough bloke and would be a good manager if not for his inability to adapt to change. It's not just you, but people do need to stop taking criticism of TM so personally. The fact I can joke about picking Evans/Smallwood as having a lack of ethics, integrity, etc and it actually being taken seriously is a bit worrying to me in all honesty!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Wish we had ball boys who slowed things down and helped the team out when defending leads. The one at Sheffield looked at least 16-17 and was no doubt a youth team player well rehearsed  in such things. Our ball boys are young children of Primary school age by the looks of things. We could do the same but don't.

Remember the Liverpool FA cup game at Ewood?

Just now, DE. said:

Mate, I'm not being 100% serious here. I'm just making a little light of the situation. Maybe I needed to add a smiling emoji or something to make it clear I don't consider picking Evans or Smallwood on the same level as cheating - I thought it would be absurd enough to be obvious but I guess not. 

For the record disagreeing with TM's decisions doesn't equate to me "hating" him, although I find it interesting you've come to that conclusion. Whilst I often disagree with what he does I've always said he's a decent enough bloke and would be a good manager if not for his inability to adapt to change. It's not just you, but people do need to stop taking criticism of TM so personally. The fact I can joke about picking Evans/Smallwood as having a lack of ethics, integrity, etc and it actually being taken seriously is a bit worrying to me in all honesty!

When you’re questioning someone’s integrity purely on the basis of playing backups, it seems a bit weird to me mate. Strange comment to make, hence why I instantly picked up. There’s nowt to take personally, I was merely pointing out it was a stupid comparison/comment.

Perhaps I missed the punchline or the part of it that was supposed to be witty or funny? I mean (as you say) for all the foibles pointed out constantly on BRFCS, integrity of the manager isn’t something anyone could question.

• Backroom

When you’re questioning someone’s integrity purely on the basis of playing backups, it seems a bit weird to me mate. Strange comment to make, hence why I instantly picked up. There’s nowt to take personally, I was merely pointing out it was a stupid comparison/comment.

Perhaps I missed the punchline or the part of it that was supposed to be witty or funny? I mean (as you say) for all the foibles pointed out constantly on BRFCS, integrity of the manager isn’t something anyone could question.

I appreciate text is sometimes easy to misread but I'd hope I don't come across as a poster who would think something as crazy as that, so I assumed it would be understood that the tone was not serious. Obviously not, so just to make it clear - whilst the selection of Evans, Smallwood and Leutwiler checked me out of the match immediately as I knew we'd lose, I do not actually consider it a lack of integrity or ethics, although I do find it amusing and strange that Mowbray was sent off for trying to lecture a ballboy on these things. Let's end it there and resume discussion of the match :)

image.png.b1031757026534078c622389c8873fb2.png

Interesting stats on this one. You'd expect a team with such domination in stats to win the game comfortably or at least draw. But when you can't keep the ball out of the net at your end and fail to take your chances at the other end this is where it leads. Hopefully this puts the Armstrong up top method to bed as he just isn't good in that role, and Gallagher scoring in the middle may give TM a bit more confidence to try playing him in the centre again rather than out on the wing. I still think a midfield spread of Downing/Dack/Rothwell with Graham or Gallagher in the centre would yield solid results. 

Not sure what this result/performance means for Nyambe. Will Tony see him as part of the reason we conceded two goals, or part of the reason we otherwise dominated a PL team? Bennett will almost certainly be back in at RB on Saturday regardless.

• Like 1