BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield united away- League cup

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Ive had a look at who is a freebie, there isn't really that many now apart from Vorm

In the summer there would've been plenty of freebies at home or abroad. Renewing Leutwiler smacks of complacency. We're only one injury or loan recall away from him being our no 1.

Edited by Amo

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Well I guess that’s part of any club with our turnovers plan. Buy young or cheap and try and polish up, develop and sell.

In an FFP world, for a club of our income levels, this ‘model’ is as good as any.

But for me, it isn’t a plan that will see us as a consistent top 6 side. Too many variables with young players, some just don’t ‘polish up’ very well, football is awash with tales of ‘potential’ that fell by the wayside since time immemorial . 

Why the owners are happy to see us tread water in the second tier for year after year as they inject in more and more capital they haven’t a hope in hell of seeing a return on is another matter entirely.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

In an FFP world, for a club of our income levels, this ‘model’ is as good as any.

But for me, it isn’t a plan that will see us as a consistent top 6 side. Too many variables with young players, some just don’t ‘polish up’ very well, football is awash with tales of ‘potential’ that fell by the wayside since time immemorial . 

Why the owners are happy to see us tread water in the second tier for year after year as they inject in more and more capital they haven’t a hope in hell of seeing a return on is another matter entirely.

Hence why I mentioned perhaps the auditors have given them the best advice thus far.

Its a model we’ve always had since JW’s days, the funds we would spend would be budgeted to league position and any big sales would give a remit to re-invest.

Whilst were a different level now, the most recent example of a big spend (parachute years) will have burnt their fingers, so perhaps that explains the more modest FFP regulated annual losses we’ve seen recently.

As for selling a player - I’m starting to think Travis would be the one we’ve got worth the most right now.

We did it from a position of strength in the post Jack John Williams era. We were already where we wanted to be, largely a mid ranking top flight side. A squad of quality PL footballers added to or taken away from piecemeal year in year out.

Now this is the same in some ways, the big difference is that we are instead a mid ranking second tier side. And I don’t see this model having us doing much better than that. In many ways, that’s football, ‘you cut your cloth’ and all that. But we can’t be expecting promotion fights.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The playing side has hugely regressed and the Academy was already there producing International footballers.

Under them we have been in our lowest ever league position, had two relegations, been run by conmen and shysters, lost millions upon millions of pounds, lost ten thousand plus supporters........need I say more?

Oh, Arbitro, Arbitro, how could you?

You forgot three crucial things.

They were badly advised.

They've learned their lesson.

Without them, we'd be doomed like Bury/Bolton...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

We did it from a position of strength in the post Jack John Williams era. We were already where we wanted to be, largely a mid ranking top flight side. A squad of quality PL footballers added to or taken away from piecemeal year in year out.

Now this is the same in some ways, the big difference is that we are instead a mid ranking second tier side. And I don’t see this model having us doing much better than that. In many ways, that’s football, ‘you cut your cloth’ and all that. But we can’t be expecting promotion fights.

Exactly. Jack’s legacy was to set up the next owners for top flight football for the foreseeable future. They utterly trashed everything he created - aside from the bricks and mortar if Ewood and Brockhall - and the likes of Bournemouth and Bumley took our place.

I’ll not forgive and forget until they put us back to where we were before they came, and hand over the keys to someone else (minus the debt that their recklessness created).

• Like 6

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Oh, Arbitro, Arbitro, how could you?

You forgot three crucial things.

They were badly advised.

They've learned their lesson.

Without them, we'd be doomed like Bury/Bolton...

But LV - we are seemingly not going to the wall and/or completely neglecting the youth/first team. 

At times with these owners those outcomes had been the scenario.

I agree with all the criticism they deserve, they’ve completely downgraded the club, whether it’s an neglectful accident or somewhat nefarious decision - the only real relevance is the future.

At least we have one. Utterly gutted for Bury, and even though I sat through 2500 Bolton fans sing “long live the Venkys” - I still would hate it if they suffered the same plight.

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To give them any credit for us not about to go out of business like Bury would be the least illogical thing ever.

How about a rephrased question;

Is it worth giving them credit for still allowing a grade 1 academy when the season tickets alone wouldn’t cover its cost? 

To me - that’s allowed us to still be somewhat competitive in a climate that’s dominated by city turnover or foreign cash.

Edited by Harry The Bass

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

How about a rephrased question;

Is it worth giving them credit for still allowing a grade 1 academy when the season tickets alone wouldn’t cover its cost? 

To me - that’s allowed us to still be somewhat competitive in a climate that’s dominated by city turnover or foreign cash.

The academy is just about the only aspect of Jack Walkers legacy that they have not ruined. Remember this from Desai when they acquired Rovers:

"We plan to focus on leveraging the global influence in establishing Blackburn Rovers as a truly global brand," Desai said today. "We will absolutely respect the Jack Walker legacy and will be actively supporting the organisation to ensure that Blackburn Rovers remain one of the best-run clubs within the Premier League."

And the full article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/nov/19/venkys-completes-takeover-blackburn-rovers

• Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

The academy is just about the only aspect of Jack Walkers legacy that they have not ruined. Remember this from Desai when they acquired Rovers:

"We plan to focus on leveraging the global influence in establishing Blackburn Rovers as a truly global brand," Desai said today. "We will absolutely respect the Jack Walker legacy and will be actively supporting the organisation to ensure that Blackburn Rovers remain one of the best-run clubs within the Premier League."

And the full article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/nov/19/venkys-completes-takeover-blackburn-rovers

Aye, complete and utter bollocks!

• Like 9

Just now, arbitro said:

And the full article:

I’ve read it all before - no offence intended. I know what they said and what they did, and as you say - it’s the only thing they’ve continued in his legacy. 

Thankfully they did though.

Just now, arbitro said:

And the full article:

IMHO the Cat 1 status is all about protecting one of their main ways to make money. Without it we would be powerless under EPPP to stop our development graduates from being picked off for peanuts. And we don’t make too much money on trading in first team recruits.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, arbitro said:

The playing side has hugely regressed and the Academy was already there producing International footballers.

Under them we have been in our lowest ever league position, had two relegations, been run by conmen and shysters, lost millions upon millions of pounds, lost ten thousand plus supporters........need I say more?

I think a few on here Tony should look up the word "Quisling."

7 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

But LV - we are seemingly not going to the wall and/or completely neglecting the youth/first team. 

At times with these owners those outcomes had been the scenario.

I agree with all the criticism they deserve, they’ve completely downgraded the club, whether it’s an neglectful accident or somewhat nefarious decision - the only real relevance is the future.

At least we have one. Utterly gutted for Bury, and even though I sat through 2500 Bolton fans sing “long live the Venkys” - I still would hate it if they suffered the same plight.

I wouldn't. 

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

And the full article:

Lies from the very beginning and some are still falling for it. 

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

IMHO the Cat 1 status is all about protecting one of their main ways to make money. Without it we would be powerless under EPPP to stop our development graduates from being picked off for peanuts. And we don’t make too much money on trading in first team recruits.

Absolutely spot on.

9 hours ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

No fizzy energy drink cup thread, but cold comfort of Sunderland dumping the Dingles out at the turd.

Indeed! Strange attitude to cups that lot, they seem to be happy to go out as early as possible every year. They’ve shown enough in the league so far to suggest they probably won’t be in a relegation scrap so why not try and go far in a cup while they have a team that’s capable? 

Proud of us reaching semi final after semi final in the 2000s (and obviously winning the League Cup in 2002) while still having strong league campaigns more often that not.

In the Hughes era too we continued to reach semi final after semi final. Some great memories that surely is what we crave as fans?

Alas, to finish 17th and hit the PL jackpot for another season is all that matters, to the extent a few extra games a year in order to actually achieve something is deemed beyond the pale.

• J*B unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

In the Hughes era too we continued to reach semi final after semi final. Some great memories that surely is what we crave as fans?

Alas, to finish 17th and hit the PL jackpot for another season is all that matters, to the extent a few extra games a year in order to actually achieve something is deemed beyond the pale.

Another rancid symptom of the way the game is now. The "magic" of the cup is lost because every single club is frightened out of their minds of the dreaded r word. Every league position relates to more £££ and they'd rather finish 1 or two places higher than have a cup run.

Nick Harris reported that the fee split ratio was changing this year to further the top clubs - another prime example of how the top clubs are lobbying the league to ensure their continued success financially and on the pitch.

How anyone expects smaller teams to ever catch up when prize/TV money is split so unfairly is beyond me.

• Like 2