Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bigdoggsteel

Sheffield united away- League cup

Recommended Posts

Unable to see the game with working but from what ive read. They played well. Armstrong missing a penalty was a shame as he needs a confidence boost to kick on pleased for Gallagher as for me hes tried hard this season but without much of a threat that will give him a big lift going onto the weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 really shite goals to give away from pretty much the blades only chances.

Gallys goal was great and should do wonders for his confidence. 

Rankin-Costello looked to be causing them issues, sadly can't see him getting much game time now though unless he gets a game in the FA cup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rovers played well and were the better team throughout.

The young team were knocking it around towards the end really nicely. Future is bright with these kids.

Sadly, we gave away 2 of the softest goals I’ve seen away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OnePhilT said:

2 wins, 2 defeats, and 1 draw in an already tough month. I probably would have settled for that so far, so I'm not sure why "supporters" want him to walk.

We did OK tonight. Travis is the real deal. Rankin-Costello looks promising. Pleasing signs, but we need to start being more clinical in front of goal.

As we’ve said countless times, our opinion on Mowbray has been formed over 2 and a half years. We want him to walk because we don’t believe he’s the man to take us forward, it’s that simple really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mowbray would never walk, We would have to go on a really bad run or hope Middlesbrough sack Woodgate and entice him back before hes potted by Venkys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gary C said:

Mowbray would never walk, We would have to go on a really bad run or hope Middlesbrough sack Woodgate and entice him back before hes potted by Venkys

Be careful what you wish for.

A bit like those fans that want Venkys to go - and leave us like Bury or Bolton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Be careful what you wish for.

A bit like those fans that want Venkys to go - and leave us like Bury or Bolton.

Well let’s just hope Venkys are our owners for eternity and beyond then. 

We can play guess the year when our debt will cross the £trillion mark  and carry on thanking them for keeping the lights on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TBTF said:

Well let’s just hope Venkys are our owners for eternity and beyond then. 

We can play guess the year when our debt will cross the £trillion mark  and carry on thanking them for keeping the lights on

Alternatively they could sell all our best players, parts of Brockhall, parts of Ewood - run a shadow club after getting back as much of their money as possible.

Seriously I do wonder when our ever expanding debt will end. But would fans want us to sell Dack to pay off part of the debt ? (though he will probably have to be sold for FFP reasons)

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Be careful what you wish for.

A bit like those fans that want Venkys to go - and leave us like Bury or Bolton.

That's a good point. Such a shame for two local clubs. I would hope that never happens to us. The true fans must be devastated. There is a slight hope from what it says on sky sports but very slight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frustrating on so many levels. I actually think it's quite important to progress as much as possible in the cups, because it gives as many opportunities as possible (in a competitive but relatively pressure free environment) for the young players like Buckley, Chapman, Grayson, JRC etc to play. When are these guys going to get the next chance to play now we're out?

Selection:

1.) Why play smallwood? Clearly not good enough. I understand resting Johnson, but travis? He's 21 and will want to play as much as he can, playing tues/sat is not an issue at that age. Should have been Evans with Travis

2.) Why play Buckley on the right. Dack picks up knocks, rest him and play Buckley central and then Chapman on the right.

3.) Why is Armstrong taking pens?!

The game was there for the taking and if we had scored that pen, would have gone on to comfortably win I think. The positive is dominating a prem team who despite the changes had more money on the pitch then our whole club is worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BRFC4EVA said:

Frustrating on so many levels. I actually think it's quite important to progress as much as possible in the cups, because it gives as many opportunities as possible (in a competitive but relatively pressure free environment) for the young players like Buckley, Chapman, Grayson, JRC etc to play. When are these guys going to get the next chance to play now we're out?

 Selection:

 1.) Why play smallwood? Clearly not good enough. I understand resting Johnson, but travis? He's 21 and will want to play as much as he can, playing tues/sat is not an issue at that age. Should have been Evans with Travis

 2.) Why play Buckley on the right. Dack picks up knocks, rest him and play Buckley central and then Chapman on the right.

 3.) Why is Armstrong taking pens?!

The game was there for the taking and if we had scored that pen, would have gone on to comfortably win I think. The positive is dominating a prem team who despite the changes had more money on the pitch then our whole club is worth.

4.) What possible reason was there to not play Walton in goal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another frustrating match with some positives but a feeling of 'what if' at the end of it. Much in similar fashion to the Fulham game not long ago.

First half hour I thought we played some good stuff, opened them up and looked dangerous getting forward. The winning of the penalty was just one of a number of nice moves into dangerous areas.

Then came the inevitable regression as we cannot sustain the pressure indefinitely although we were still competing well in the game when we fell behind.

They probably couldn't believe their luck going in at 2-0 given the balance of the game but sadly that's the way we seem to operate these days - bucket loads of possession, some nice passing and moving around the midfield, some decent play getting forward, but then nothing by way of a final ball or killer instinct. Just wasteful, hesitant or poor decision making - take your pick but it happens every time we get into advanced areas and means we are struggling to convert our possession into goals or even decent goalscoring opportunities. 

It seems Mowbray's frustrations boiled over which they rarely do which probably sums up the ineptitude of the referee tonight. An abysmal performance from him who I think was just looking forward to an easy and comfortable night out and a routine home win. Sadly not the first time we've had to endure that particular referee and won't be the last.

Still major concerns for me about our attacking play and how effective we are at scoring goals. Again tonight for all our possession and positive play we've really not done much to test their keeper. We need to get this sorted because it has now happened in most games this season and it will cost us dearly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised when I saw the team and three of our current first choice back four were playing. Given that Tosin is already out for Saturday Mowbray was taking a huge gamble. Seeing them three in I cou!don't understand why Travis wasn't in ahead of either Evans or Smallwood.

The difference in the first half was the keepers. Their keeper saved a penalty and the rebound whilst ours clapped at a perfectly catchable cross. Leutwiler prefers to punch than catch and it drives me mad. Poor, poor goalkeeping. The second goal should have signalling least a double change at half time but Mr Play It Safe did nothing. When he eventually changed he kept his two banks of four when I thought we should have gone all out. 

Armstrong and Nyambe disappointed me as did Rothwell. The two central midfielders are not good enough. Buckley was good but in the time he was on Rankin-Costello was really good.

Overall I'm really disappointed because this was definitely winnable but errors cost us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gary C said:

Mowbray would never walk, We would have to go on a really bad run or hope Middlesbrough sack Woodgate and entice him back before hes potted by Venkys

Getting sent off for a passionate repost of a poor referee is just one of the reasons that makes me hope TM stays for time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amo said:

Learned my lesson. Not betting on t'Rovers again 😂

I should try learning that 😭😭

Got the other 3 right....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parsonblue said:

I thought this was our best performance of the season by far.  At times we played some really good stuff and outplayed United for large parts of the first half.  Missed penalty and poor goalkeeping cost us.  Buckley and Rankin-Costello were both very promising and together with Travis - and Dan Butterworth when fit - point to a bright future.  I thought Gallagher took his goal well.

Armstrong and Rothwell disappointed me tonight.  On this performance I really can't see Rothwell getting ahead of Downing whilst Armstrong is really frustrating.

The ref was poor, but then when I saw who it was before the game I expected nothing less.  How this guy gets to keep on the list I'll never know.

Overall, disappointed with the result but pleased with the performance and the direction we are heading under Mowbray, particularly if we can keep faith with the youngsters.

Totally agree! Rothwell and Armstrong often flatter to deceive. Would be better giving JRC and Buckley more game time. 

Disappointed that Hart didn't make the bench; really impressed with him the other night, and think he's the best backup for Cunningham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Be careful what you wish for.

A bit like those fans that want Venkys to go - and leave us like Bury or Bolton.

I wish folk would cease perpetuating this myth. There are and have been potential buyers in the past, the venkys won't sell. I wonder why?

There appears to be an ever increasing number of this type of post to apparently try and soften the anger against these clowns, never forgive, never forget. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry The Bass said:

Getting sent off for a passionate repost of a poor referee is just one of the reasons that makes me hope TM stays for time.

 

Mowbray got sent off for lecturing a BallBoy about lifestyle choices. 

This is true, believe it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
2
21 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

I wish folk would cease perpetuating this myth. There are and have been potential buyers in the past, the venkys won't sell. I wonder why?

There appears to be an ever increasing number of this type of post to apparently try and soften the anger against these clowns, never forgive, never forget. 

Me too. I do however think it is often from those who did not know or choose to forget better times PV, Pre Vs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.