BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Any Mill Hill St Peters veterans?

Going through my parents pictures and found this of my dad (front 2nd from left). He has dementia now - and I wonder how many of the others do looking at that ball - so can’t tell me anything about it. He did at one time play for Mill Hill St Peters so I was wondering if this was them. Anybody know?

I wouldn’t have fancied being up against the guy with the ball!

1E8D7C21-B528-4FAD-A28A-155E000BC209.jpeg

• Like 3

I can't help with your question but I love the photograph. Would I be right in thinking it was taken around the early 1950s?

I don't recognise the building behind either but if anyone else does it would probably narrow it down.

Possibly the parish priest on the back left.

Great photo. Some tough looking nuts in that team - and I bet they had boots with nailed-in studs. They were lethal - one lad I played against aged 10 had borrowed his dad's boots and one of the nails sent a lovely gash down my thigh. My school teacher called it an "old-fashioned injury" . Mill Hill St Peters were hard to beat - remember a hard 0-0 draw with them around 1965.   

• Like 1

The two directly to the right of your dad (as we look), are a couple of big lads. Not so much the guy next in line, they look like they could eat him for breakfast. My speronal favourite though, the guy furthest to the right at the front. 

Sorry but that team is St.thomas's or St.Josephs

Tom Kennedy,  teacher at St. Marys Colledge, 3rd from right back row.

Keeper is John walsh senior I think.

Cyril Holden on right bottom row

Jim Dickinson on left bottom row

Just now, JacknOry said:

The two directly to the right of your dad (as we look), are a couple of big lads. Not so much the guy next in line, they look like they could eat him for breakfast. My speronal favourite though, the guy furthest to the right at the front. 

That's Cyril Holden, lived around Queens Park Rd all his life

19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Great photo. Some tough looking nuts in that team - and I bet they had boots with nailed-in studs. They were lethal - one lad I played against aged 10 had borrowed his dad's boots and one of the nails sent a lovely gash down my thigh. My school teacher called it an "old-fashioned injury" . Mill Hill St Peters were hard to beat - remember a hard 0-0 draw with them around 1965.   

I played in those boots, wonderful for sliding down shins.

We used to sharpen them, hence the ref checks the studs before a match. Not sure they do that now.

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

Thos Ken it is - good spot!

Toss Kennedy (always tossing the chalk) was the brother of the Kennedy who was sports writer in the Daily Express for years. Can't recall his first name.

Sorry to hog this but so many memories.

My dad lived until he was 90 and throughout his life I asked him why he didn't sign for Aston Villa when they wanted him after WWII, he gave me allsorts of different answers.

Ultimately, when he knew I wouldn't get the chance to ask again. he said he'd just come out of the army, Birmingham was a long, long way away and he worked in engineering as a Miller (at Clayton Goodfellow, anyone remember them?) and already earned more than a footballer!

How times change eh?

• Like 7

Me and my two brothers all played for MHSP at some point or other, younger bro being the best footballer out of us. We were all St Mary's College boys too, although the footballing side there was destroyed by a certain priest saying there wouldn't be any team with a player sporting our surname in it (Fr. Wynne, gawd rest his hairy soul). I only played a handful of games, in the West Lancs League for MHSP - disclocated my shoulder on a slippery pitch (at Burnley UTD I think) on the day our club linesman kicked a heckling (burnley) spectator in the nuts and shouted at him "don't rub em, count em!" Them were the days ;)

• Like 2

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

Exiled in Toronto, Arbitro and I went to SMC and Toss Kennedy was my form teacher and also taught me maths. (1969-1976)

Yep, me too.

He was still throwing the chalk then too!

I was there 1964 to 1970

Edited by Preben
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Dentistry has come on since then eh?!!

• Like 1

It must be me who has dementia as my dad is second from the right. He taught at St. Augustine’s for many years, nicknamed “Shiner” due to hair loss that has carried on down the generations.

Toss Kennedy, should’ve recognized him, our 3rd form form teacher. And he should’ve given me better maths marks given he played in same team as my dad.

Interesting how most young blokes back then look 45

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Preben said:

A long while ago, but much more recent than that photo, my brother captained the team with a very young Stuart Metcalfe in the side.

I had a summer job one year at the cotton mill near the top of Moorgate working alongside Meccy’s uncle, who told me the game he made his debut his opponent spat in his face every time they came together.

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

I had a summer job one year at the cotton mill near the top of Moorgate working alongside Meccy’s uncle, who told me the game he made his debut his opponent spat in his face every time they came together.

I once played against a team with a few Accy Stanley players in it and they spat at us constantly.

A pity we didn't have wooden studs.

Thanks for the memories ;)

Edited by Preben