BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Any Mill Hill St Peters veterans?

On 27/08/2019 at 20:19, Preben said:

Sorry but that team is St.thomas's or St.Josephs

Tom Kennedy,  teacher at St. Marys Colledge, 3rd from right back row.

Keeper is John walsh senior I think.

Cyril Holden on right bottom row

Jim Dickinson on left bottom row

It was St. Joseph’s, I just found my dad’s winners medal from the game in 1949.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 09:02, lraC said:

Was Terry involved with West End CYC who played in the Blackburn Combination?

He played in the combination for St Josephs, MHSP, not sure who else.

Don't think he was involved with BCYC, that was more likely to be me

On 27/08/2019 at 20:51, Preben said:

Sorry to hog this but so many memories.

My dad lived until he was 90 and throughout his life I asked him why he didn't sign for Aston Villa when they wanted him after WWII, he gave me allsorts of different answers.

Ultimately, when he knew I wouldn't get the chance to ask again. he said he'd just come out of the army, Birmingham was a long, long way away and he worked in engineering as a Miller (at Clayton Goodfellow, anyone remember them?) and already earned more than a footballer!

How times change eh?

I worked at Clayton and Goodfellows from 1971 to 1981. Billy Guest was the store man for a time. He played on the wing for the Rovers just after the war.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2020 at 10:16, Preben said:

He played in the combination for St Josephs, MHSP, not sure who else.

Don't think he was involved with BCYC, that was more likely to be me

If you were involved at West End CYC, I will know you.

• 2 months later...

Happy Birthday Tommy D - your half time penalty shoot outs were the stuff of legend!

Ma Burns, Ma Riley, Fat Colly (Colinridge), Pa Stewart, Ken Holt, Pete Rose, Spam Eastham and yer dodgy bus, Dave Briff (et), Mick Devoy, Pa Simison, Father Wynne, Scruffy Den(is) Mahon, and others... take a bow in the ongoing and fabulous spirit of 'Fat Tommy;. Not going to say thanks for the memories, as SMC sucked as far as I am concerned... 

What was the name of the groundsman who laboured away for years making the playing fields behind the school some of the best in the region? (he always went on about turning the rough ground at the back into a rugby pitch, but no-one else was interested). Him and his tractor and dodgy sideburns.kRQs4b3.jpg

The sons of the goalie in this pic from the 1950s of Blackburn Tech's 1st team all turned out for MHSP at various times in the 80s & 90s. One was a legendary left back who converted to centre forward, netting a continuous series of (I think) over 50 successful penalty conversions in a row at one time. The others were goalies, like their dad, though not of the same legendary capability if time honoured stories over the years are telling the tale correctly ;)

Another blast from the past - St Mary's College U14s from 1973/4 local cup final being played at Griffin Park.

Tony Pearson, Dave McAreavey, Peter Betts amongst those I recognise... any clues for others in the photo anyone??

X9J4G47.jpgCan't comment on the boots for this one, obviously due to the slightly overdue haircut needed at grass roots level. Mike Duxbury was in t he year above this lot at SMC, at a time when the school was regularly turning out players capable of entering professional ranks.

Edit: I think the slightly deranged one second back, in front of 'Betsy' was called Grimes.. (not his first name!)..

Edited by WIR Second Coming

11 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Not going to say thanks for the memories, as SMC sucked as far as I am concerned... 

What was the name of the groundsman who laboured away for years making the playing fields behind the school some of the best in the region? (he always went on about turning the rough ground at the back into a rugby pitch, but no-one else was interested). Him and his tractor and dodgy sideburns.kRQs4b3.jpg

I never liked the place either. Walked out on my last day there and never looked back. SMC catered for those carrying on to university. Either that or a career in banking, insurance, customs & excise or something similar. If you fancied a trade like joinery, engineering or an electrician, it was neither use nor ornament.

If I remember correctly, Inthink the grounds an was called Joe Pilling.

• Like 1

Joe Pilling it was! Cantankerous old brute on the surface, but a half decent groundsman nonetheless. S'funny you walked out on your last day there - I spent the 'leaving day' smoking in Corporation Park, and hiding in the bushes whenever any adult male approached from the North (Shear Brow direction) as I'd been told Mick Devoy had a tendency to sweep the park for truants!

You'd have been 2 years ahead of my brother (the goalie in the pic), in that case, so I guess you'd have started in 1970??

Edited by WIR Second Coming

Last one I have to hand is actually a Mill Hill St Peters School team playing at Ewood in a cup final, probably 1973.

Brejezki, Dinsdale, Cummings, Alderson, Eccles, McAreavey, Culshaw (?) amongst others beaming out from this gem..

G51piXf.jpg

I wonder how many are still with us - all in their late 50s now...

44 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Another blast from the past - St Mary's College U14s from 1973/4 local cup final being played at Griffin Park.

Tony Pearson, Dave McAreavey, Peter Betts amongst those I recognise... any clues for others in the photo anyone??

X9J4G47.jpgCan't comment on the boots for this one, obviously due to the slightly overdue haircut needed at grass roots level. Mike Duxbury was in t he year above this lot at SMC, at a time when the school was regularly turning out players capable of entering professional ranks.

Edit: I think the slightly deranged one second back, in front of 'Betsy' was called Grimes.. (not his first name!)..

Is Mark McManus on this? Maybe fourth lad from front?

3 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

You'd have been 2 years ahead of my brother (the goalie in the pic), in that case, so I guess you'd have started in 1970??

Yep, I started in September 1970. I remember a good number of those lads in your photo.

I was in our first year football team that beat Witton Park 2-1 at Ewood. I’m fairly sure that Arbitro was in goal as well. I have a photo of our team but it’s up in the loft with a million others.

47 minutes ago, rigger said:

What has St Marys College, got to do with Mill Hill ST Peters ?

Slight possibility that blokes who went to MillHill St Peter's, went to SMC, played for MHSP kind of vibe. I did all three, as did my brothers. 'S all. Pretty sure a fair few others did too, certainly in my time, & my dad's.

3 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Yep, I started in September 1970. I remember a good number of those lads in your photo.

I was in our first year football team that beat Witton Park 2-1 at Ewood. I’m fairly sure that Arbitro was in goal as well. I have a photo of our team but it’s up in the loft with a million others.

I was in goal Mark and beaten by a bullet header for their goal. I remember celebrating after (I think we were in the away changing room) and Tommy Duckworth bought several bottles of lemonade and we drenched him with it.

• Like 1