BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bury FC rip

A huge amount of inaccurate stuff about Rovers on this thread. I wish fans would have taken as much interest in 2011 and 2012.

Glad Gigg Lane is covenanted which leaves me wondering what the heck Blackburn lad Stewart Day ever thought he was doing there.

45 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

EC_aBRiXoAAN-5m.jpg

Lovely. 

Football reflects wider society and the way the country has gone over the past 30-40 years with the gap between the elite and the rest widening to unprecedented levels.

Bury and ordinary folk are just collateral damage 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 47er said:

I would be very happy with that outcome, but if they truly want that why is it taking so long? Why don't they splash the cash?

Wolves didn't mess about did they?

I suspect they have no idea what to do and are not particularly interested anyway.

This. To get back to the Premier League, you need a plan. You need a figurehead as a Manager, a first rate Chief Executive and a proper ‘behind the scenes’ structure. You need to start buying considerably better players than you currently have. If you can’t do that through normal revenues, you have to inject further cash. We have none of this and, as you quite rightly say, they have no idea what to do and don’t seem to be particularly interested. 

Very sad day indeed for Bury and football in general.

Edited by Claytons Left Boot
Additional comments
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, philipl said:

A huge amount of inaccurate stuff about Rovers on this thread. I wish fans would have taken as much interest in 2011 and 2012.

Glad Gigg Lane is covenanted which leaves me wondering what the heck Blackburn lad Stewart Day ever thought he was doing there.

Slightly condescending statement, especially when you follow it with an inaccurate fact of your own !

Maybe you could fill us in with some accurate stuff about Rovers' situation.

Edited by Crimpshrine
  • Like 2

‘Modern football is dying’. Yet most clubs in England, from the Premier League through to non league are attracting higher crowds now for league games than any time since the 60s (we are one of the few to go the other way)

The support is there, the interest is there. However, football’s governance has not changed since the 60s either, a time in which the game was largely run sustainably, clubs run by a local businessman who in many ways would own the club on behalf of the community, though let’s not pretend a Bancroft or Bill Fox were going to invite fans on the board in the style of Germany. And that chairman and his fellow directors would hear many a chant of ‘sack the board’ when a star player was sold, but clubs did try and exist within their means.

Alas the money that has flowed into the sport since the establishment of the PL has led to a Wild West industry in which chancers, gamblers and spivs are making merry, from average players making fortunes, agents skimming off millions, clubs recklessly gambling to try and reach the promised land and a whole cadre of dubious characters owning clubs.

The governance of the game is not fit for purpose and needs root and branch ripping up.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

Who is paying the insurance policy ? ?

They'll not need insurance when they just want to build on it. The vultures in charge seem to have got what they truly wanted. My sad prediction is it'll get ransacked first, then burnt, sit there as a sad dilapidated shell and eventually, the community will want it built upon because it'll be a dangerous eyesore. 

It's happened on a smaller scale to many well-established non-league teams like Rossendale United etc.

Edited by Pedro

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They will never call that in. They would be disgraced and all their misdeeds here would be publicised. Culturally Indians would be very bothered by having that scrutiny brought on them. "Luckily" for us. 

Wilkinson calling you a racist on Twitter (unfortunately he hasn't retired from there)

Just looked at the tweet. What kind of a sad act copies and pastes posts from here and puts them on Twitter? He only has one like as well ? 

He copy/pasted/quoted 2 posts from here, so not sure which one he is referring too. I don't think mine was racist to be honest. If it was, it would have been an issue here. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just looked at the tweet. What kind of a sad act copies and pastes posts from here and puts them on Twitter? He only has one like as well ? 

He copy/pasted/quoted 2 posts from here, so not sure which one he is referring too. I don't think mine was racist to be honest. If it was, it would have been an issue here. 

He’s absolutely obsessed, I wouldn’t take it personally.

It really is so cowardly to give someone no right of reply. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

And each time this happens there will be fresh outrage. Jim White is one of the most remarkable case and points I have ever seen; he stands in front of a deadline day clock, reinvented to count down the hours until a club over 100 years old goes out of business, literally tearing the community apart. Then the next day he sits on his radio station defending it, claiming he has done more than any other to highlight the plight of the club. Well, I'm sorry Mr White but it simply isn't enough. Much like his brief cameo in our situation regarding poor ownership it's all too little, too late. Discussing the plight of a community over a 2 hour talk show, in which you charge fans for the privilege of phoning in, doesn't begin to break the surface, particularly when next week you will be back to discussing the mega-transfer of Alexis Sanchez or Neymar etc. Next week it will be "business as usual" in the Sky, BBC, EFL, PL, TalkSport, BT HQs. Bury will be a sad reminder of the past, when football was a man in the street sport and success wasn't determined by the bank balance of a clubs owner.

MPs will today call for regulation, for a degree of responsibility to be taken by the EFL for the plight of two fine, historical clubs. Then next week they'll be back discussing other issues, and rightly so because football isn't everything, and the rallying calls for reform will be swept away by another claw-for-votes cry for more money to the NHS or the like. Nobody will pick these issues up again in a week because everybody is so engrossed in the glitz and the glamour of the Premier League/European elite.

When we are in a situation where Alexis Sanchez's wage over the past 2 years is enough to save Bury/Bolton then we are sadly past the point of no return. Much like society the gap between the haves and have-nots is increasing at an alarming rate. Yet, much like society, our reliance on private business and foreign investment has also left us without a community anchorage; when back in the day you either attended the game or watch no football children would fall in love with their local team, now they can watch City on tele once a fortnight minimum. Whereas before we'd have local people running clubs, with the interest of the club at heart and the accountability of the local community in mind, we now have distant foreign investment, with no consideration for the people. What was once a game for the local working man is now a battle of egos between the super rich, or an addition to a portfolio to brag about in their yacht parties, or, in the saddest of cases, a business in which losses can be offset or assets can be stripped to make a quick quid.

Modern football is dying. In a weird way I have a slight envy for Bury - they will reform, and they will do well due to the backing they will have, and for a brief few years they'll escape the monotony of the football league. However the only thing that awaits them is a return to the depths of the football league, where smaller town clubs wait to feed from the scraps of the elite. Then, though, much like AFC Wimbledon, at least the club will be theirs. The best thing that could possibly happen to English football is the break away from the PL that will inevitably happen. We are better off without the bastard system that has led to this point. 

Very well said.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Having looked at your posts, not sure how anyone can then claim you to be a racist. Have not logged into Twitter yet, still at work - its blocked lol.

• Like 2