BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

“It’s Football Jim...but not as we know it!” - The NFL Thread

Just wondering, with the new NFL season upcoming in the next week, how many of us on here have an interest in American Football?

Either a passionate or passing interest?

Feels like the game is having a real renaissance, in the UK, at the moment, after its initial popularity in the 1980s...

Who’s your team and why?

(I’ll hang fire on my team for the time being...you’ll see why!)

Edited by rog of the rovers

11 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Just me then!! ?

As you were

[End Thread]

I watch. However, I live in the USA where there's constant coverage so it's very easy to do.

I don't have an affiliation to any team. Until Tom Brady and his coach are no longer together I can't look past the Patriots to win it all.

I'm a big fan of the NFL, and particularly follow the Jets - I think it's in my DNA to follow a team that consistently underperforms and finds new and imaginative ways to let me down!!

In fact this year I'm off to NY to see the game against the Patriots - I can't wait!!! (Although I imagine I will leave disappointed by the result)

Woah replies!!!

I do see plenty of NFL apparel at Ewood on a match day, so there must be a decent Rovers following out there.

For the record, I support the Buffalo Bills. Reasons why? Because they’re a hard working northern town, who play in Blue and White, with a small but passionate fan base and lets be honest....the hate the Patriots!!!

I can also probably confidently say, if you’ve seen someone at Ewood in Bills apparel that was probably me! 

I would consider myself as a fan of most sports but I’ve never really liked American sports. But in the past 12 months I’ve been to an NFL game in London and a baseball game at Yankee stadium. 

Maybe it was partly because didn’t know what was going on at either game and even as a fan of the traditionally boring domestic sports like cricket, golf, f1 I found them both terribly dull. 

The NFL was Seattle vs Oakland I think. We were in there for 4 hours and I’d wager there wasn’t 10 minutes of game play in all that time.

The baseball was yankees vs Red Sox. Apparently their Man Utd vs Liverpool/Lancashire vs Yorkshire derby grudge match. All I’ll say is there was more atmosphere at a bog standard t20 match in Worcester. Perhaps it’s the fact they play 200 games a season but it was a snooze fest. 

As for the Americans themselves they confirmed what I’ve always thought. They have bags of enthusiasm without any passion. They’re all donned head to toe in official merc, from various teams, but I suspect a negative result doesn’t impact on their day whatsoever. 

• 2 months later...
On 30/08/2019 at 18:51, rog of the rovers said:

Woah replies!!!

I do see plenty of NFL apparel at Ewood on a match day, so there must be a decent Rovers following out there.

For the record, I support the Buffalo Bills. Reasons why? Because they’re a hard working northern town, who play in Blue and White, with a small but passionate fan base and lets be honest....the hate the Patriots!!!

I can also probably confidently say, if you’ve seen someone at Ewood in Bills apparel that was probably me! 

I grew up watching Dan Marino so the Dolphins have always been my team. Not looking too good this year though.

• Backroom

Rog,  you must be loving the Bill's season. Great so far. 

In other news, I see Garrett just got the longest ban ever (I think), indefinite, at least the whole of this season.

For ripping the quarterbacks helmet off and smacking him over the head with it. 

Talk about a moment of madness. 

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/11864502/myles-garrett-helmet-attack-cleveland-browns-star-to-make-his-case-to-nfl-on-wednesday

On 21/11/2019 at 00:23, Silas said:

In other news, I see Garrett just got the longest ban ever (I think), indefinite, at least the whole of this season.

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/11864502/myles-garrett-helmet-attack-cleveland-browns-star-to-make-his-case-to-nfl-on-wednesday

Wow, is every game like that? May be worth watching after all!

On 21/11/2019 at 00:23, Silas said:

We’ll see on Thursday when we take on a team with a decent record (Cowboys in Dallas).
Credit to us for winning matches we should win though.

Supporting Rovers for 25+ years has taught me you don’t always wins the ones you should!!! ? 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Husky said:

I must say I'm in favour of changing the OT law.

Something just doesn't sit right with one offense winning the game with a TD without letting the other have a right of reply.

It's an odd one. They changed it to its present guise a few years ago. Prior to the change it was first team to score. The team who won the toss usually went 30 yards then kicked a field goal. The university game does give both teams a go, and they start much further up the pitch. Those games can go on for a long time as teams score touchdown after touchdown.

The Bills lost again. They have an awful playoff record. The Patriots are out too. They were beaten at home by Tennessee. Lots of paper talk today of Brady leaving as his contract is up. They were my pick to win it, and were looking good until star man Antonio Brown got fired. After he left they had nobody to throw it to.

50 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's an odd one. They changed it to its present guise a few years ago. Prior to the change it was first team to score. The team who won the toss usually went 30 yards then kicked a field goal. The university game does give both teams a go, and they start much further up the pitch. Those games can go on for a long time as teams score touchdown after touchdown.

The Bills lost again. They have an awful playoff record. The Patriots are out too. They were beaten at home by Tennessee. Lots of paper talk today of Brady leaving as his contract is up. They were my pick to win it, and were looking good until star man Antonio Brown got fired. After he left they had nobody to throw it to.

I don't think Brown ever played for them ? He only seemed to be there about a week. Unfortunately he has issues off the field which is a pity as he is a great player.

• 3 weeks later...

Cometh the hour! It's almost that time again - staying up until stupid o'clock in the morning and then taking the 'Monday hit'. Chiefs v 49ers it is.

As I don't have any particular preference and there isn't really an obvious favourite and underdog. As is almost always the case I'll be hoping the game stays close - within 4-7 points with the chance of that last gasp do or die Hail Mary. ? BRING IT!?

• Backroom
6 hours ago, Husky said:

Cometh the hour! It's almost that time again - staying up until stupid o'clock in the morning and then taking the 'Monday hit'. Chiefs v 49ers it is.

? BRING IT!?

I'm with you!

Opening up at work Monday morning too so have to be in at 8am.

Godamnit, why didn't I book the day off?!

Looks set up for a real even game,  that should go down to the last quarter. 

Enjoy. I hope Mahomes takes the trophy. Been the best QB throughout the season. And will be for years to come IMO.