BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Garratt

I'm struggling with this one. We loan our own player out to Northampton then sign this mon as a 'stop gap' 3rd choice keeper. 

Some come down from Mowbray's proclamations of the summer seeking proven experienced quality and more than one. We've added one inexperienced one on loan, kept Leutwiler on who isnt good enough and now we're going after an ex Crewe stop gap?

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

I'm struggling with this one. We loan our own player out to Northampton then sign this mon as a 'stop gap' 3rd choice keeper. 

Some come down from Mowbray's proclamations of the summer seeking proven experienced quality and more than one. We've added one inexperienced one on loan, kept Leutwiler on who isnt good enough and now we're going after an ex Crewe stop gap?

I’m guessing a reaction to our reserves poor cup performance 

Just now, JHRover said:

Common sense to me.

Fisher ain’t getting better sat on the bench.

Our current second choice ain’t good enough.

Why not bring in some competition in case something happens to Walton?

• Like 7

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Common sense to me.

Fisher ain’t getting better sat on the bench.

Our current second choice ain’t good enough.

Why not bring in some competition in case something happens to Walton?

Why not just sign a goalkeeper good enough for the level we are at now rather than stop gap's?

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Why not just sign a goalkeeper good enough for the level we are at now rather than stop gap's?

I’m guessing that Walton is that for this year.

I imagine a freebie with his pedigree or someone higher up would command actual decent wages, whereas an ex Bury/Crewe lad will likely fit into our backup level.

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I’m guessing that Walton is that for this year.

I imagine a freebie with his pedigree or someone higher up would command actual decent wages, whereas an ex Bury/Crewe lad will likely fit into our backup level.

But Walton is less experienced than Raya which is completely the opposite of what Mowbray said he wanted when allowing Raya to leave.

I'm glad you've arrived at the crux of the issue. Someone of proven quality would command wages whereas a cheap and cheerful ex-Crewe keeper won't. Do you really expect us to ever make serious progress if we operate on that basis? 

We're in a position to lavish £12 million out on two young forwards neither of whom play where they should yet we're scrimping on the goalkeeper position signing loans and stopgaps on cheap wages to 'fill in' or 'do a job for a while'. 

• Like 5

Just now, JHRover said:

But Walton is less experienced than Raya which is completely the opposite of what Mowbray said he wanted when allowing Raya to leave.

I'm glad you've arrived at the crux of the issue. Someone of proven quality would command wages whereas a cheap and cheerful ex-Crewe keeper won't. Do you really expect us to ever make serious progress if we operate on that basis? 

We're in a position to lavish £12 million out on two young forwards neither of whom play where they should yet we're scrimping on the goalkeeper position signing loans and stopgaps on cheap wages to 'fill in' or 'do a job for a while'. 

You’re talking about a third choice at worst, second at best keeper - you’re not talking about a new key player.

Its basic squad management. You and I may agree that Walton was probably not the signing to improve on Raya that we all wanted - However early signs suggest he’s making us far more robust defensively, particularly on set pieces.

If we’d just signed Vorm for third choice on 30k pw, or to challenge Walton, you’re complaint would be more “waste” or “why bother with Walton”..!

Theirs nothing weird or strange about this, it’s scratching for a problem at best IMO

• Like 1

The one thing we've always had at Rovers in my time is a good solid no 1 with at least a degree of pedigree and who's had a good/great rapport with the fans.  That all stopped after Robinson and lo and behold no surprise it's never got back that way since this lot and their friends turned up, another BRFC tradition they've inadvertently ruined.

Raya might have developed into one of those but that soon went tits up so after about 5 years or so of no good reliable regular keeper it's about time collectively they pulled their fingers out and delivered one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The one thing we've always had at Rovers in my time is a good solid no 1 with at least a degree of pedigree and who's had a good/great rapport with the fans.  That all stopped after Robinson and lo and behold no surprise it's never got back that way since this lot and their friends turned up, another BRFC tradition they've inadvertently ruined.

Raya might have developed into one of those but that soon went tits up so after about 5 years or so of no good reliable regular keeper it's about time collectively they pulled their fingers out and delivered one.

On the face of it, it’s all about money. We will only get cheap options.

But then you think we paid £12m for two below average strikers and what kind of a keeper should have been within our budget.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

You’re talking about a third choice at worst, second at best keeper - you’re not talking about a new key player.

Its basic squad management. You and I may agree that Walton was probably not the signing to improve on Raya that we all wanted - However early signs suggest he’s making us far more robust defensively, particularly on set pieces.

If we’d just signed Vorm for third choice on 30k pw, or to challenge Walton, you’re complaint would be more “waste” or “why bother with Walton”..!

Theirs nothing weird or strange about this, it’s scratching for a problem at best IMO

If he gets injured or loses form, we are in desperate straits. This is a huge gamble which we may not get away with.

Edited by 47er

Just now, Stuart said:

On the face of it, it’s all about money. We will only get cheap options.

But then you think we paid £12m for two below average strikers and what kind of a keeper should have been within our budget.

Gallagher is looking fantastic. Great in the air, can play anywhere, and runs his socks off. I reckon he'll be worth £12 on his own by the end of the year. BB looked pretty decent in preseason but needs to play upfront imo.

I am delighted with how Walton has been playing; looks a proper keeper indeed. :-)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

Fisher is rightly sent on loan to gain match/league experience.

Leutwiler has become a proven failure based on his actual performance in games and it looks like Mowbray now agrees,

Bringing in a youngish, cheap but experienced, albeit at a lower level. keeper as a backup makes a lot of sense.

As you say its basic squad management.

FISHER not first choice at Northampton but is getting some games.

That performance at Sheffield United has killed Leutwiler's prospects at Ewood so bringing in a serious challenger for reserve keeper shirt makes sense- even if he is a Crewe reject.

• Like 1

So we get to the play offs and Walton picks up an injury. We go into 2-3 season or career defining games with Leutwiler and the 'stop gap's as our keeper options.

Personally I'd prefer someone like Ali Al Habsi to call upon like WBA have just signed.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So we get to the play offs and Walton picks up an injury. We go into 2-3 season or career defining games with Leutwiler and the 'stop gap's as our keeper options.

Personally I'd prefer someone like Ali Al Habsi to call upon like WBA have just signed.

January window

Situations like this frustrate me. Mowbray was happy to give Leutwiler a new deal a few weeks ago and now it appears he wants competition for the substitutes bench after seven games. I can only surmise that Leutwilers insipid performances in the League Cup have persuaded him that Leutwiler isn't good enough. 

But he hasn't suddenly become a poor keeper, he has always been poor. 

• Like 5

Just now, philipl said:

January window

Hold on, we've just been through a 2 month long summer window and failed to add the depth needed, opting instead to retain Leutwiler and sign only Walton on loan. 

Why would we bring in a keeper in January? We've had plenty of time to do that.

If we sign this Garrett even as a 'stop gap' he will be here until the summer. I disagree with signing players on the hope they'll be here for the season but never be needed.

Sign an extra keeper by all means but one good enough for the League and good enough to replace Walton if needed.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Hold on, we've just been through a 2 month long summer window and failed to add the depth needed, opting instead to retain Leutwiler and sign only Walton on loan. 

Why would we bring in a keeper in January? We've had plenty of time to do that.

If we sign this Garrett even as a 'stop gap' he will be here until the summer. I disagree with signing players on the hope they'll be here for the season but never be needed.

Sign an extra keeper by all means but one good enough for the League and good enough to replace Walton if needed.

With our defence we do things on the cheap, indeed as cheaply as possible.  Why? that is the question if a promotion is on anyone's agenda apart from the fans.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

End of the day we need a third keeper, so fine.

The issue was giving Leutwiler a new deal. Shocker of a keeper who is only an injury away from a sustained run in the team. 

Is it really fine Matty? I haven't seen the chap play but it doesn't look promising does it?

Looks to me like we are an injury away from disaster. Fed up with us trying to wing it (sorry TM) all the time.

Still, we wait and see eh?