BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Garratt

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

End of the day we need a third keeper, so fine.

The issue was giving Leutwiler a new deal. Shocker of a keeper who is only an injury away from a sustained run in the team. 

I think the reason Leutwiler got a new deal was just to have a keeper in the building, Mowbray and Venus tried and failed miserably all summer to sign goalkeepers but ended up with a panic loan of Walton plus no one else.

If we’d let Leutwiler go we’d have Fisher on the bench.

Mowbray said he wanted experience in the goal. Yet we’re massively weaker. I don’t think he’s given a reason how this was let happen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

The one thing we've always had at Rovers in my time is a good solid no 1 with at least a degree of pedigree and who's had a good/great rapport with the fans.  That all stopped after Robinson and lo and behold no surprise it's never got back that way since this lot and their friends turned up, another BRFC tradition they've inadvertently ruined.

Raya might have developed into one of those but that soon went tits up so after about 5 years or so of no good reliable regular keeper it's about time collectively they pulled their fingers out and delivered one.

We had a good solid number 2 in Bunn then too ?

• Like 3

Just now, 47er said:

Is it really fine Matty? I haven't seen the chap play but it doesn't look promising does it?

Looks to me like we are an injury away from disaster. Fed up with us trying to wing it (sorry TM) all the time.

Still, we wait and see eh?

Fine as in at this stage we ain’t getting a keeper of much standing willing to hang around Brockhall for a few months.

What isn’t fine is having Leutwiler here at all, but ‘we are where we afe’.

Just now, OJRovers said:

I think the reason Leutwiler got a new deal was just to have a keeper in the building, Mowbray and Venus tried and failed miserably all summer to sign goalkeepers but ended up with a panic loan of Walton plus no one else.

If we’d let Leutwiler go we’d have Fisher on the bench.

Mowbray said he wanted experience in the goal. Yet we’re massively weaker. I don’t think he’s given a reason how this was let happen.

Leutwiler was offered a new deal just as the season ended and the new window hadn't opened. And at that point there was no confirmation that Raya was on his way.

I'm my opinion it's another example of Mowbray's ad hoc style of management with very little succession planning.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

It's very true that while Walton looks good if he gets injured it will be an absolute catastrophe.

It is only a catastrophe if it all goes wrong for the team. Until that happens it would just be another injury 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I've been wracking my brain but aside from Fisher did we have three keepers last season (or any other for that matter)?

One of the great mysteries in football to me is why clubs have so many keepers but they all seem to have a wealth of them.  Last season we had Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher, Albinson, Byrne, Winterbottom, Eastham.  Most seasons we seem to have half-a-dozen keepers with the Under-23's usually having two or three sharing the job beside the two senior 'keepers.   At the moment we have Walton, Leutwiler, Fisher (who's now on loan), Hilton, Eastham and a very young Dowling - who has only just made the Under-18 squad.  Obviously, Hilton, Eastham and Dowling are not ready for the senior team so can see the need for a number three with more experience than Hilton.

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

If you only have 1 keeper up to the required standard it isn’t ‘just another injury’.

Until we actually lose matches because of the injury, yes it is.

When Raya got injured at West Brom last season , that could have been a catastrophe, but it wasn’t because we took a point.

Just now, rigger said:

When Raya got injured at West Brom last season , that could have been a catastrophe, but it wasn’t because we took a point.

Losing one game away at West Brom isn’t a ‘catastrophe’ anyway.

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

It’s not as if he just got injured accidentally though and that’s what annoyed me. He was assaulted by that dingle in a sneaky dirty way to soften him up. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JHRover said:

But Walton is less experienced than Raya which is completely the opposite of what Mowbray said he wanted when allowing Raya to leave.

I'm glad you've arrived at the crux of the issue. Someone of proven quality would command wages whereas a cheap and cheerful ex-Crewe keeper won't. Do you really expect us to ever make serious progress if we operate on that basis? 

We're in a position to lavish £12 million out on two young forwards neither of whom play where they should yet we're scrimping on the goalkeeper position signing loans and stopgaps on cheap wages to 'fill in' or 'do a job for a while'. 

Walton has looked better than Raya though, much, much better. Does that come into it at all for you? Seems odd you pick him being "less experienced" but leave out the fact he looks better. Whatever suits the moan I suppose! 

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Hold on, we've just been through a 2 month long summer window and failed to add the depth needed, opting instead to retain Leutwiler and sign only Walton on loan. 

Why would we bring in a keeper in January? We've had plenty of time to do that.

If we sign this Garrett even as a 'stop gap' he will be here until the summer. I disagree with signing players on the hope they'll be here for the season but never be needed.

Sign an extra keeper by all means but one good enough for the League and good enough to replace Walton if needed.

Nonsense. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Walton has looked better than Raya though, much, much better. Does that come into it at all for you? Seems odd you pick him being "less experienced" but leave out the fact he looks better. Whatever suits the moan I suppose! 

Mowbray said he wanted more experience and signed one with less. If you don't want people to pick up on those sort of inconsistencies then don't say those things.

Just now, JHRover said:

Mowbray said he wanted more experience and signed one with less. If you don't want people to pick up on those sort of inconsistencies then don't say those things.

I couldn't give a damn if he played 1 game or 1000. Walton looks a better goalkeeper than Raya so, in my eyes, it has been an upgrade.

Time will tell if we can sign someone similar permanently, as a goalkeeper like Walton must be eyeing the Prem soon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

It’s not as if he just got injured accidentally though and that’s what annoyed me. He was assaulted by that dingle in a sneaky dirty way to soften him up. 

True, but nothing to do with the discussion 

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sometimes you have to take what is available at the time rather than what you planned at the start of a transfer window.  If he didn't speak to the press about his future plans he would get any amount of flack for not communicating - he really can't win.  Sadly, whatever says these days tends to be used as a stick with which to beat him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

One of the great mysteries in football to me is why clubs have so many keepers but they all seem to have a wealth of them.  Last season we had Raya, Leutwiler, Fisher, Albinson, Byrne, Winterbottom, Eastham.  Most seasons we seem to have half-a-dozen keepers with the Under-23's usually having two or three sharing the job beside the two senior 'keepers.   At the moment we have Walton, Leutwiler, Fisher (who's now on loan), Hilton, Eastham and a very young Dowling - who has only just made the Under-18 squad.  Obviously, Hilton, Eastham and Dowling are not ready for the senior team so can see the need for a number three with more experience than Hilton.

Is that your opinion or your assessment of Mowbray’s opinion?

Personally I can see the need for a number one. Or at the very least a number two. Leutwiler should be nowhere near our bench but while we are where we are I’d accept him as a number three.

We are supposed to have ambitions of top 6. At least that’s what our manager keeps telling us.