BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Garratt

Just now, Stuart said:

Is that your opinion or your assessment of Mowbray’s opinion?

Personally I can see the need for a number one. Or at the very least a number two. Leutwiler should be nowhere near our bench but while we are where we are I’d accept him as a number three.

We are supposed to have ambitions of top 6. At least that’s what our manager keeps telling us.

Personally Stuart, I can see why they need a number three at the moment.  Walton is clearly the number one for this season whilst a long term replacement for Leutwiler will appear in January or the summer.  In the meantime Leutwiler will remain the number two - although I agree I don't believe he is anywhere near good enough.  If Hilton is loaned out - and there has been talk about that - then we would need someone for the Under-23's.  If Walton was injured then Hilton, at present, would be the number two keeper - which is a big jump for a lad who spent the second half of last season on loan at Marine.  A short-term contract for Garrett if it happens, whilst Fisher is out on loan, seems a sensible idea under the circumstances.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JHRover said:

But Walton is less experienced than Raya which is completely the opposite of what Mowbray said he wanted when allowing Raya to leave.

I'm glad you've arrived at the crux of the issue. Someone of proven quality would command wages whereas a cheap and cheerful ex-Crewe keeper won't. Do you really expect us to ever make serious progress if we operate on that basis? 

We're in a position to lavish £12 million out on two young forwards neither of whom play where they should yet we're scrimping on the goalkeeper position signing loans and stopgaps on cheap wages to 'fill in' or 'do a job for a while'. 

haven't we been over this before? Sharpe has said that Rovers/Mowbray didn't get their 1st 3 choices for the Keeper target. Sometimes you cant always get who you want for varied reasons despite you wanting them. 

TBH, I think Walton has proved to be more than good enough and better than Raya so far. 

11 hours ago, JHRover said:

Hold on, we've just been through a 2 month long summer window and failed to add the depth needed, opting instead to retain Leutwiler and sign only Walton on loan. 

Why would we bring in a keeper in January? We've had plenty of time to do that.

If we sign this Garrett even as a 'stop gap' he will be here until the summer. I disagree with signing players on the hope they'll be here for the season but never be needed.

Sign an extra keeper by all means but one good enough for the League and good enough to replace Walton if needed.

Cos maybe the keeper we wanted wasn't allow to leave at that time 

Would you say it not better for Fisher development to be play 1st team football and would you say Hilton is ready to 3rd choice keeper?

• Like 1

The whole keeper situation is another mess of TMs making.

After a sketchy start Walton has looked better the last few games but regardless come the summer we will once again be looking for a numbrler keeper and will be depleated between the sticks. Also not so easy to build a defence with a loan keeper (unless option to buy) imo as no continuity year after year. 

The reserve keeper situation is farcical though. Leuitweiller (sp) had an unimpressive run of games at the end last season so we all knew how poor he was. 2 games for him into this season means that either TM is a slow learner - in which case what was the point of the run of games last season? - or TM is reacting to 2 games only (albeit poor performances). Either way it's not too reassuring that at present we'll go into next season without a decent - much less quality - keeper on the books. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blue blood said:

The whole keeper situation is another mess of TMs making.

After a sketchy start Walton has looked better the last few games but regardless come the summer we will once again be looking for a numbrler keeper and will be depleated between the sticks. Also not so easy to build a defence with a loan keeper (unless option to buy) imo as no continuity year after year. 

The reserve keeper situation is farcical though. Leuitweiller (sp) had an unimpressive run of games at the end last season so we all knew how poor he was. 2 games for him into this season means that either TM is a slow learner - in which case what was the point of the run of games last season? - or TM is reacting to 2 games only (albeit poor performances). Either way it's not too reassuring that at present we'll go into next season without a decent - much less quality - keeper on the books. 

Not sure about this. After the previous consultation meeting, (the defenders are coming one), I heard that Waggott himself was referring to a German keeper, who was on his way-actually imminent etc. My guess is that it was blocked from India, despite receiving £3,million for Reya

25 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Not sure about this. After the previous consultation meeting, (the defenders are coming one), I heard that Waggott himself was referring to a German keeper, who was on his way-actually imminent etc. My guess is that it was blocked from India, despite receiving £3,million for Reya

So that’s a problem of Mowbray’s making...

If he is undermined in bringing in his players then he should walk. By carrying on he becomes complicit.

I find it hard to believe though.

We have a budget and rules on player pay from what I understand and they cost us potential signings this summer. Signings within budget could be made without hold-up from Pune provided they were within parameters.

Not gospel but what I understand.

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

We have a budget and rules on player pay from what I understand and they cost us potential signings this summer. Signings within budget could be made without hold-up from Pune provided they were within parameters.

Not gospel but what I understand.

If that is the case then the scouting department need to work within those parameters and not waste time coming up with players we can’t afford.

Regardless of budget, next summer we’ll need to sign 2 maybe 3 goalkeepers. That is not going to be easy in one summer window.

Just now, OJRovers said:

If that is the case then the scouting department need to work within those parameters and not waste time coming up with players we can’t afford.

Regardless of budget, next summer we’ll need to sign 2 maybe 3 goalkeepers. That is not going to be easy in one summer window.

But Players don't have fixed prices and wages. Plus why not go shopping a level up beyond your budget to see what might drop?

Bauer and Reed are well documented on here being within scope then a greedy agent and a Fulham coup respectively took them away. I doubt Bauer is on any dramatically higher wage at Preston but they probably poneyed up front moneys.

On 30/08/2019 at 14:06, JHRover said:

Mowbray said he wanted more experience and signed one with less. If you don't want people to pick up on those sort of inconsistencies then don't say those things.

You are choosing to focus on that whilst ignoring that he looks better. Which is of course your prerogative. 

On 30/08/2019 at 08:19, Mattyblue said:

End of the day we need a third keeper, so fine.

The issue was giving Leutwiler a new deal. Shocker of a keeper who is only an injury away from a sustained run in the team. 

Oops. Only started reading this today, so hadn't seen several others post my thoughts on the subject.....so moving on.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

18 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

But surely you sell Reya after the keeper arrives so should something goes wrong you still have the original so you're not weaker. 

• Like 3