Sign in to follow this  
AllRoverAsia

Mike Ferguson RIP

Just now, 47er said:

Oh no! Another of my all-time heroes gone. Thanks for the memories Mike---there are many of them.

Brilliant on his day and with an 'attitude'

He's in my top 10 'likes' of Rovers players in my time.

I will never forget the bucket kit at Ewood in the loss to Coventry

So privileged to see a forward line like that.  Ferguson, Douglas, Pickering, McEvoy, Harrison.

RIP Mike

One of my favourite players to ever wear the famous blue & white halves.

Was also well thought of at Villa and QPR.

RIP Fergie.

One of my boyhood heroes.  A maverick for sure, but a wonderful footballer who could really excite you.  One part of the most exciting forward line that I've ever seen play in 'Blue and White.'

Thanks for some wonderful memories.

RIP Fergie 

Yet another Rovers legend has passed over. He was one of my favourite players, mainly due to him being a real “one off” player. So unpredictable, yet brilliant on his day. RIP, Fergie, he’s off to join a great bunch of former players in football heaven.

2 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Another legend gone RIP big fella. I never saw you play but my mum did, she loved you. 

Ditto my dad. One of his favourite ever Rovers.

I think the 5-man forward line of Ferguson, McEvoy, Pickering, Douglas, Harrison was the best and most exciting I've ever seen. I was around 20 years old at the time.

Maybe it's nostalgia but (for me) it beats Ripley, Sherwood, Shearer, Sutton, Wilcox.

Then again...............maybe not. Different era. Different pace.

R.I.P. Mike.

37 minutes ago, bazza said:

I think the 5-man forward line of Ferguson, McEvoy, Pickering, Douglas, Harrison was the best and most exciting I've ever seen. I was around 20 years old at the time.

Maybe it's nostalgia but (for me) it beats Ripley, Sherwood, Shearer, Sutton, Wilcox.

Then again...............maybe not. Different era. Different pace.

R.I.P. Mike.

I saw that forward line in my first ever live game at Ewood, in what is reputed to be the best ever Rovers performance, v the mighty Spurs.

I think it indeed was a top lineup with goals and assists from all across the line.

I'm shocked and saddened. One of my all time favourite Rovers players.

Fergie was worshipped on the Ewood terraces as much as Duggie. Wonderful skill, a great player to watch.

RIP Fergie, and thank you 

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Nice tribute in the LT

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17871181.rovers-39-39-crowd-pleasing-39-winger-mike-ferguson-dies-aged-76/

Lovely 60s photo of Fergie

219727652.jpg

Fergie in a team-talk with Jack Marshall

Fred Else, Walter Joyce, Mike Ferguson, Mike England, Mike Harrison, Ronnie Clayton, Jack Marshall.jpg

Just noticed the 'Golden Mike Triangle' in this photo.

Marshall's Misfits.

Who are the 2 players on the left?

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I'm shocked and saddened. One of my all time favourite Rovers players.

Fergie was worshipped on the Ewood terraces as much as Duggie. Wonderful skill, a great player to watch.

RIP Fergie, and thank you 

Got to disagree with that! Fergie had sublime talents but not in the same league as Douglas, he was still one of the outstanding players of his generation. RIP

Ironic that Bob Lord shut down Stanley for self interest and at the same time presented Rovers with a Burnley born legend

Edited by renrag

What a terrific player he was. Second only to Bryan Douglas in my book on the Rovers right wing. He came from that era when players hadn't had their individuality coached out of them. Equally at home on the right wing and in a more central role. He had decent pace but he was a brilliant dribbler who in his day was unstoppable. His running action left him him slightly stooped over the ball which made him difficult to dispossess when he was running at players. He could make goals and score goals.

Part of that fabulous goal scoring Rovers forward line of the early 1960's that were such a pleasure to watch. They had everything, Fergie's trickery out on the right, Andy Mac's goal poaching combined with Big Fred's running power and finishing up front, the incomparable play making of Bryan Douglas in midfield and the other Mike, Harrison's more direct and hard running out on the left. I feel blessed that I saw them at their absolute best. They were an absolute joy of a group who played football with a smile and created mesmerising football at times. Only Bryan left now.

I have lots of memories of Fergie but one stands out from his later years. We were played at Preston and they had a highly rated left back called John Ritchie I think. Lots of big clubs were watching him. Fergie ran him ragged that day in a 5-3 Rovers win. One incident stands out. He cut in from the right and ran directly at Ritchie. I was stood right in line with this, looking over Fergies shoulder so to speak. He took the ball right up to Ritchie, dipped his shoulder' dummied right then and then strolled past Ritchie on the left who promptly fell over.

I can't be too hard on Ritchie because Fergie sent me the wrong way as well along with the 50 odd blokes stood around me.

Thanks for the memories Mike, you were a class act.

"Fergie for England" we used to shout from the terraces but we never got our wish, although he was so frustratingly inconsistent that it was never really going to happen. Utterly brilliant on his good days though.