BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mike Ferguson RIP

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was only thinking ther other day - what would that forward line be worth today ?

Fergie - £45 million

Andy Mac - £70 million

Big Fred - £100 million

Dougie - £125 million

Mike Harrison - £35 million

If Mike had had Fergie's heart and mental toughness then you could have said £135million!!!  Almost a latter day Ronaldo - very similar in terms of build, pace and attributes.  Best penalty taker I've ever seen as well.

Edited by Mercer

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

If Mike had had Fergie's heart and mental toughness then you could have said £135million!!!  Almost a latter day Ronaldo - very similar in terms of build, pace and attributes.  Best penalty taker I've ever seen as well.

I agree Mercer, for a big guy who was built like a light heavyweight boxer Mike didn't relish getting a kick. Fergie could fight fire with fire, sometimes to his own detriment. I've told the story before that I watched a behind closed doors pre season practice match in around 1963 or 1964. John Bray was marking Mike and he wasn't holding back. Jack Marshall was reffing and Mike was constantly in his ear about being fouled !

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, arbitro said:

Rovers have announced there will be a minutes appreciation for Mike on Saturday.

Where has this been announced?  Our latest issue made a big point about the lack of acknowledgement at matches for the numerous past players who have passed away this year. This would be a great step forward by the club.

7 hours ago, 4,000 Holes said:

Where has this been announced?  Our latest issue made a big point about the lack of acknowledgement at matches for the numerous past players who have passed away this year. This would be a great step forward by the club.

It was included in an LT article detailing the the funeral arrangements.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17897281.funeral-plans-ex-rovers-player-mike-ferguson/

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

It was included in an LT article detailing the the funeral arrangements.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17897281.funeral-plans-ex-rovers-player-mike-ferguson/

Says in that LT piece Fergie started at Plymouth. Not true, surely? Are they mixing him up with Mike Harrison?

In our latest issue we highlighted supporters' disappointment at the lack of proper acknowledgement when former players have passed away over the last few years. It is really good to see changes have now been made. Well done to Rovers for this tribute yesterday and let's hope it continues in future.

EEcGR2HWwAEHpUN.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 years later...

Remember that Coventry game so well. Student at the time and travelled up from London to see it.

Total stupidity from Fergy that ended our very real promotion hopes.

However, a genius on his day and an integral component in a forward line that had scored for fun in Div 1.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 47er said:

Remember that Coventry game so well. Student at the time and travelled up from London to see it.

Total stupidity from Fergy that ended our very real promotion hopes.

However, a genius on his day and an integral component in a forward line that had scored for fun in Div 1.

I agree he shouldn’t have lashed out but Bruck had been kicking the shit out of him right from the kick off and the referee just let him do it. It culminated with a hack at the back of his legs that led to Fergie swinging an arm. They’d  obviously spotted he was our danger man. I also thought Bruck made a meal of it. That was really unusual in those days as “ diving “ hadn’t been invented then.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Fabulous article from Fred Cumpstey. Thanks for posting this. I remember all of that but wasn’t fortunate enough to be at Villa Park on that day.

Fergie was a magician. His close ball control, the way he just waltzed past opponents with the greatest of ease made him the perfect man to replace Duggie at inside left. He did that with such success. I’ll never forget him as I doubt anyone who saw him will.

just reinforces my belief that that forward line, indeed that team was the best I ever saw.

• Like 3

On 12/09/2019 at 09:33, rigger said:

I can still visualise Tony Fields goal

So can I. I was standing right behind the goal.

Actually, there was another one -beating several men before scoring in the Blackburn End-against Charlton the same season, I think.

It was like a mini-bereavement, when he followed Furphy to Sheffield!

• Like 2

Fergie is one of my all time Rovers' favourites.

At his best, an absolute magician.

An out and out winner with an ultra competitive edge.

If Fergie had joined one of the really big clubs when he left Rovers, I feel sure he would have got even better and gone on to play for England many times.

Tony Field was good for Rovers but come on, he wasn't in the same league as Fergie who plied his trade consistently well at the highest level.  

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Fergie is one of my all time Rovers' favourites.

At his best, an absolute magician.

An out and out winner with an ultra competitive edge.

If Fergie had joined one of the really big clubs when he left Rovers, I feel sure he would have got even better and gone on to play for England many times.

Tony Field was good for Rovers but come on, he wasn't in the same league as Fergie who plied his trade consistently well at the highest level.  

I heard Alf Ramsey had him under serious consideration until the sending off.

One of my favourite memories was of him playing at Preston against a left back called John Ritchie. A lot of big clubs were watching Ritchie apparently. Fergie ran him ragged that afternoon. One bit of play I recall, it happened right in front of me - he ran at Ritchie and dropped the shoulder sending him the wrong way completely along with me and about 30 blokes stood near me !