Sign in to follow this  
AllRoverAsia

Mike Ferguson RIP

One of my all time favourites.

Tremendously skilled and on his day, a top class act. 

A player with an edge and an aggression - could, and frequently did, mix it with anyone.

Just loved his directness and the way he attacked the defender(s) with the ball.

Thanks for the memories Fergie and R.I.P.

Edited by Mercer

I was only thinking ther other day - what would that forward line be worth today ?

Fergie - £45 million

Andy Mac - £70 million

Big Fred - £100 million

Dougie - £125 million

Mike Harrison - £35 million

Fergie's solo goal v Northampton Town  in December 1965 is the best I've seen at  Elwood apart from Tony Field v Watford in November 1973. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was only thinking ther other day - what would that forward line be worth today ?

Fergie - £45 million

Andy Mac - £70 million

Big Fred - £100 million

Dougie - £125 million

Mike Harrison - £35 million

If Mike had had Fergie's heart and mental toughness then you could have said £135million!!!  Almost a latter day Ronaldo - very similar in terms of build, pace and attributes.  Best penalty taker I've ever seen as well.

Edited by Mercer

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

If Mike had had Fergie's heart and mental toughness then you could have said £135million!!!  Almost a latter day Ronaldo - very similar in terms of build, pace and attributes.  Best penalty taker I've ever seen as well.

I agree Mercer, for a big guy who was built like a light heavyweight boxer Mike didn't relish getting a kick. Fergie could fight fire with fire, sometimes to his own detriment. I've told the story before that I watched a behind closed doors pre season practice match in around 1963 or 1964. John Bray was marking Mike and he wasn't holding back. Jack Marshall was reffing and Mike was constantly in his ear about being fouled !

On 02/09/2019 at 10:23, alcd said:

Fergie's solo goal v Northampton Town  in December 1965 is the best I've seen at  Elwood apart from Tony Field v Watford in November 1973. 

I can still visualise Tony Fields goal

15 hours ago, arbitro said:

Rovers have announced there will be a minutes appreciation for Mike on Saturday.

Where has this been announced?  Our latest issue made a big point about the lack of acknowledgement at matches for the numerous past players who have passed away this year. This would be a great step forward by the club.

7 hours ago, 4,000 Holes said:

Where has this been announced?  Our latest issue made a big point about the lack of acknowledgement at matches for the numerous past players who have passed away this year. This would be a great step forward by the club.

It was included in an LT article detailing the the funeral arrangements.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17897281.funeral-plans-ex-rovers-player-mike-ferguson/

Edited by arbitro

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Says in that LT piece Fergie started at Plymouth. Not true, surely? Are they mixing him up with Mike Harrison?

Fergie started at Plymouth as an amateur and then moved up to Stanley in the summer of 1960.

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Fergie started at Plymouth as an amateur and then moved up to Stanley in the summer of 1960.

Strange that as he's from East Lancs and not southern. How did Plymouth of all clubs get him?

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Strange that as he's from East Lancs and not southern. How did Plymouth of all clubs get him?

Erm, scouts?

In our latest issue we highlighted supporters' disappointment at the lack of proper acknowledgement when former players have passed away over the last few years. It is really good to see changes have now been made. Well done to Rovers for this tribute yesterday and let's hope it continues in future.

EEcGR2HWwAEHpUN.jpg