Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JoeHarvey

Blackburn Rovers Documentary / Help Needed!

Recommended Posts

Hi!

I'm currently editing together a new documentary about Rovers. Following the clubs troubles from 2010 until now, the ups and downs of double relegations, subsequent promotion from League One and looking to the future past 2019.

  • Firstly, if anyone has any video or picture material (positive or negative) from the last ten years which may be of use to me, that you would be happy for me to feature in the video, then please send it over to me. I'm talking anything from pictures with players, to chanting in a pub, to throwing a snowball at an Indian person. 
  • Secondly, if there's anyone who would like to be interviewed, as part of the fans comments section, be that about our relegations, financial problems, promotion from league one, or looking to the future, I'll be looking to do this at some point over the next few months too. So let me know if this is something anybody would be interested in. 

This film will not be all doom and gloom, and I won't be focusing too much on the shocking decisions and errors made during the early years of Venky's ownership. Whilst it will be highlighted, I feel as though the general vibe of this and the main aim should be to look forward. I want to speak to people and hear from people about what they want to see at Rovers going forward, what do you expect? Do you feel as though we've found our level, or should the club now be getting themselves into a promotion position?

  • I'd also love to hear people's thoughts on Steve Kean, Gary Bowyer and Tony Mowbray in particular, as those three will be the main managers the film will focus on. If anyone wants to share some opinions, whether it's on this forum, or on film, then please also let me know.

Thanks all, I really do hope to hear from as many people as possible!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A balanced piece about Venkys reign? Good luck with that.

Also the small matter of re-opening old wounds...

I certainly wouldn’t participate in anything which glosses over our downfall as anything other than football vandalism. Found our natural level? No, we are bobbing just above the Raos natural level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

A balanced piece about Venkys reign? Good luck with that.

Also the small matter of re-opening old wounds...

I certainly wouldn’t participate in anything which glosses over our downfall as anything other than football vandalism. Found our natural level? No, we are bobbing just above the Raos natural level.

There’s a great doc on YouTube ALL about Venkys and their mistakes. That’s not what this is. It won’t be glossed over, its a part of our history, but it’s not the main focus. The main focus is the future.

Also to note, I never said “balanced piece” about Venkys. Why try and sh*t all over something for the sake of it? Why not get behind it?

Edited by JoeHarvey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go for it. I was a season ticket holder until they came in. Never since. Happy to answer questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AAK said:

Go for it. I was a season ticket holder until they came in. Never since. Happy to answer questions.

What do you think of Venkys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

What do you think of Venkys?

@AAK mind your language... 👀😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

I won't be focusing too much on the shocking decisions and errors made during the early years of Venky's ownership

A redo of Jack the Ripper without the gory murders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

 The main focus is the future.

But you want stories of snowballs which was in the past. 

I’d leave it mate, until this lot feck off or strike lucky with a manager who is yet to be identified, we will be farting around the 2nd and 3rd level of football for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Stuart said:

What do you think of Venkys?

A family of people who know nothing of football, should never have been allowed to take over a football club, badly advised and naive. Made many mistakes, continue to fund the club probably out of embarrassment, and I think they will probably be here for some time. I like Steve Waggott, and I like Tony Mowbray, I like the direction this football club is now hopefully headed in, and this Doc, whilst mentioning our past, and talking about it, isn't about Venkys - there's already a documentary out there all about them and what they did to our club. There's no point opening up all those old wounds. I wanted to speak to people about Brentford on the 7th May, and Doncaster promotion day really. The highs and the lows of being a Rovers supporter etc etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

But you want stories of snowballs which was in the past. 

I’d leave it mate, until this lot feck off or strike lucky with a manager who is yet to be identified, we will be farting around the 2nd and 3rd level of football for years. 

And that's the kind of opinion I want to hear. I agree with most of what you're saying, I don't not want to talk about Venkys, it's just not the whole focus of this documentary.

I'll be posting a Google Forms doc to this thread to get some polls and stats about people's opinions on the club and on Venky's shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will fill the form in for you and I say good luck and go for it. With all the mess of bury, Bolton etc it’s probably a good time to highlight a few things and re open old wounds for footballs sake in general. It can also give hope to a few of those Bolton and bury fans after there ordeal with your positive Hollywood ending lol. Fair play to you for putting the time and effort in and I will certainly watch it. WIth all the talk of the fit and proper owners going on and how it needs to be governed I think the timing is perfect

Edited by Oldgregg86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

A family of people who know nothing of football, should never have been allowed to take over a football club, badly advised and naive. Made many mistakes, continue to fund the club probably out of embarrassment, and I think they will probably be here for some time. I like Steve Waggott, and I like Tony Mowbray, I like the direction this football club is now hopefully headed in, and this Doc, whilst mentioning our past, and talking about it, isn't about Venkys - there's already a documentary out there all about them and what they did to our club. There's no point opening up all those old wounds. I wanted to speak to people about Brentford on the 7th May, and Doncaster promotion day really. The highs and the lows of being a Rovers supporter etc etc...

I respect what you are trying to do but I can't see the point of a documentary that doesn't go back to 2011 when the seeds were really sown for our demise. There have been two relegations and a few seasons when we barely survived. One season with a promotion from Division Three doesn't come anywhere near air brushing out the despair that has generally been around more often than not. If it hadn't have been for them there probably wouldn't have been many lows.

To reach out to the wider football world it has to be warts and all and if Venkys are heavily criticised then people are only telling the truth.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, arbitro said:

I respect what you are trying to do but I can't see the point of a documentary that doesn't go back to 2011 when the seeds were really sown for our demise. There have been two relegations and a few seasons when we barely survived. One season with a promotion from Division Three doesn't come anywhere near air brushing out the despair that has generally been around more often than not. If it hadn't have been for them there probably wouldn't have been many lows.

To reach out to the wider football world it has to be warts and all and if Venkys are heavily criticised then people are only telling the truth.

 

 

I agree that if he is going to do The documentary it can’t be underplayed the damage and destruction they have caused. I’m all for the positives of Doncaster and the future but it needs to be the true grim warts and all to how we ended up playing Doncaster in the first place. It will probably re open old wounds and cause some conflict on social media but isn’t that what all good journalism does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few questions if I may...

Who’s commissioned the documentary ?

Is it your project ? Who controls the editorial line ?

What’s the overall objective ?

Who is the intended audience ?

Why now ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I respect what you are trying to do but I can't see the point of a documentary that doesn't go back to 2011 when the seeds were really sown for our demise. There have been two relegations and a few seasons when we barely survived. One season with a promotion from Division Three doesn't come anywhere near air brushing out the despair that has generally been around more often than not. If it hadn't have been for them there probably wouldn't have been many lows.

To reach out to the wider football world it has to be warts and all and if Venkys are heavily criticised then people are only telling the truth.

 

 

Yes, if anything the documentary should be putting right the press headlines (a la moyes etc) that the fans were out of order with kean. a chance to put our version across , so don’t waste it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll happily give my views, on camera or not, about what I think about the club, the football league, agents and the state of modern football.

What I won't do is talk about how life has been at Rovers since they came here in any other way than what it is. They've shown no remorse for any of the early years and certainly haven't even began to pay us back for what they have done to the club and the town.

At the end of the day there has been far greater collateral damage than our league position. I don't think it is to anyones surprise that the few pubs left standing around the ground closed down in the Venkys years - those pubs relied heavily on match day foot fall, for which the Indians have done severe damage to.

Ultimately it will be impossible to talk about the current affairs of Rovers without discussing the two fat and one malnourished elephants in the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I respect what you are trying to do but I can't see the point of a documentary that doesn't go back to 2011 when the seeds were really sown for our demise. There have been two relegations and a few seasons when we barely survived. One season with a promotion from Division Three doesn't come anywhere near air brushing out the despair that has generally been around more often than not. If it hadn't have been for them there probably wouldn't have been many lows.

To reach out to the wider football world it has to be warts and all and if Venkys are heavily criticised then people are only telling the truth.

 

 

The story actually starts 2007/8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.