BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

On 24/10/2019 at 15:16, JoeH said:

Just need to pull ourselves together and do what needs to be done, everyone can see it. It's common sense, basic football shit, and the club just can't seem to get it right.

Darlow
Nyambe   Lenihan   New CB (Muller/Ziereis for exa.) Williams  Olsson
                                  Travis   Rothwell
                    Holtby           Dack          Downing
                                  Assombalonga

Subs: Leutwiler, New CB (Muller/Ziereis for example), Johnson, Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Armstrong, Graham.

Cunning plan - it might just work, [as long as VAR doesn't learn how to count whether we're playing with 12 players every week].

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Player(s) in question at Dijon that we, along with Chelsea, Sheffield United and Norwich have been scouting in France:

Firstly, 20 year old French winger Mounir Chouiar seems to be the man in question if my French is somewhat existent. Was at RC Lens until signing for Dijon in summer for £3m. I know nothing of him or anything, just tried to interpret to the French report. 

Bryan Soumare also impressed the English club scouts, apparently. He's another young 20 year old, attacking central midfielder this time.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we are still prioritising the wrong positions.

Defence. Goalie. I'm really not interested in us signing players in any other area (other than maybe a proven quality striker if the budget skyrocketed, which I doubt).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Player(s) in question at Dijon that we, along with Chelsea, Sheffield United and Norwich have been scouting in France:

Firstly, 20 year old French winger Mounir Chouiar seems to be the man in question if my French is somewhat existent. Was at RC Lens until signing for Dijon in summer for £3m. I know nothing of him or anything, just tried to interpret to the French report. 

Bryan Soumare also impressed the English club scouts, apparently. He's another young 20 year old, attacking central midfielder this time.

It doesn't say that those were the players we were scouting, just that they impressed. I would imagine we were looking at defenders or central midfielders.

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

It doesn't say that those were the players we were scouting, just that they impressed. I would imagine we were looking at defenders or central midfielders.

Why central mids? Because you think we need one or because you know TM is trying for the Guiness World Record for accumulated CMs?

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Why central mids? Because you think we need one or because you know TM is trying for the Guiness World Record for accumulated CMs?

Well I think he has fallen out with Johnson for whatever reason.

He doesn't see Evans as a regular starter.

Downing probably only has another season left.

Holtby, he wants to use further up the field.

Smallwood the soldier has gone AWOL

Buckley still early stages.

Bennett hasn't played up front yet, so I would imagine he'll be looking at that role after Christmas.

So yeah I reckon a hard man midfielder might be on Tony's mind.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Well I think he has fallen out with Johnson for whatever reason.

He doesn't see Evans as a regular starter.

Downing probably only has another season left.

Holtby, he wants to use further up the field.

Smallwood the soldier has gone AWOL

Buckley still early stages.

Bennett hasn't played up front yet, so I would imagine he'll be looking at that role after Christmas.

So yeah I reckon a hard man midfielder might be on Tony's mind.

Would you agree it is madness to buy another CM though, without sales? We can't carry half our squad wages just in CM!

I'm not saying we are terrific there, but he has to be getting more from the existing personnel, or ship some out, and has to be strengthening the backline.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Would you agree it is madness to buy another CM though, without sales? We can't carry half our squad wages just in CM!

I'm not saying we are terrific there, but he has to be getting more from the existing personnel, or ship some out, and has to be strengthening the backline.

Completely agree.

Smallwood and Evans could be sold. The backline has to be priority. 2 centre backs and a left back and of course our own quality keeper.

Just wouldn't surprise me if in January and TM is still here that we sign another midfielder.

• Like 1

Would anyone take Jordan Rhodes back? I think he has had a barren time of it since leaving us but he’s only 29, he loves the club and is a proven finisher. Although we’d have to change our system to get the best from him, maybe a 4-4-2 with Gallagher beside him or Dack dropping back a bit into the space in midfield?

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

Underrated comment. You must be a dad!

Dad of 5. 3 of which are Rovers fans, yet to see a Rovers team to be proud of. 1 is a Spurs fan, so I am quite enjoying their slump and other is a paw patrol and playing with babies fan, she does have her first Rovers kit though! 

I really hope my kids, except the Spurs fan, get to enjoy the highs I experienced in the 90's. 

Can't see it happening anytime soon, but who knows what the future holds.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Would anyone take Jordan Rhodes back? I think he has had a barren time of it since leaving us but he’s only 29, he loves the club and is a proven finisher. Although we’d have to change our system to get the best from him, maybe a 4-4-2 with Gallagher beside him or Dack dropping back a bit into the space in midfield?

If you're intending to play 4-4-2 to accommodate the Rhodes type of player you may as well play Armstrong up there. At least he's quick and he won't cost us anything. I think Rhodes is finished as a starting player because hardly anybody plays that way now.

Battling central midfielder and centre back. There's enough talent in the squad to get goals it's just the team as a whole are to soft to battle for wins.

Someone to go with Travis and someone to go with the city lad until the summer.

Edited by Tom Stinny
  • Like 1

Wednesday keeper not liked by Wednesday fans so that would be a pretty odd one in my opinion. I wouldn't mind Jordan Rhodes personally at the right price but he's always going to divide opinion. Dijon scouting thing is good, nice to see us still exploring Europe, main question is when will we start to do a lot of business there. Holtby a great start, but a big name who was probably being tracked by 10 clubs.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think Rhodes is finished as a starting player because hardly anybody plays that way now.

I see similarities with DG here. Perhaps JR can provide that service to the squad as I think Danny will be off.  He’ll always score goals at this level perhaps just needs to adapt his game a bit.   Saying that, I’m not sure the Rovers coaching staff are the ones to bring that out.

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Why wouldn't he come back? 

Cos Mowbray wont sign him and he not the forward we need. 

We need a keeper, centre back and left back. Not another striker. 

Plenty of people complained in the summer about signing a striker and not the centre back.we need. Are we back to this again. 

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to spend money on players WITHOUT the expectation of making money on the deal further down the line too. Ben Brereton, Sam Gallagher and Bradley Dack, and more were all signed under the premise that they may also make us some money down the line, as well as being good players for the club. But as the first two names on that list show, that's not always the most productive way to do business. To move up this league you have to invest in proven talent. The last name, Dack, went well for us, a steal at £750,000 - but Mowbray and Waggott would be VERY naive to assume that Dack is a formula we can replicate with every deal.

My main issue with our current transfer policy is that we've become a team who's determined to never spend any actual money (without an expectation to make some back). Promotion costs, and spending £7m on a young striker sounds like an attempt at that, but it's actually just "investment" and a way of viewing players as figures.

Charlie Austin at West Brom, he's the glue that makes that team tick, I've been really impressed with him personally this year. He has absolutely no return on investment potential what-so-ever, but if West Brom get automatics this season, it won't matter.

When Downing and Johnson came in, I began to think that maybe we'd stepped away from this "every player is a potential revenue stream" model, but I think the Sam Gallagher deal, and the sale of Raya, shows that the inherent ethos at the club still remains. Urgh. 

Edited by JoeH

• Backroom

Much like many other players who have come back here after periods away, I'm not sure Rhodes coming back would do much for us now. He did well when it came to goalscoring in his last spell here and obviously had a solid connection with the likes of Conway, Cairney, Dunn, etc. Totally different team now though, no guarantee he'd be able to gel with the current team or with the way we set ourselves up these days. Would also still likely be commanding a hefty wage and is coming up to 30 in February having spent the past few years in the wilderness. I'd probably pass despite his past contributions.

With that said we absolutely do need a striker. Not as top priority necessarily but pretty high up there nonetheless. I get the feeling Graham may be gone in January, and if not he will be by the time next season rolls around. That leaves us with, what, Gallagher, Brereton, Samuel and Armstrong? Scary thought. It shouldn't be considering that's about £14m worth of expenditure in transfer fees alone, but unfortunately it is. We desperately need a regular goalscorer up top, especially with our defence being as fragile as it is, and I don't see that changing any time soon either. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos Mowbray wont sign him and he not the forward we need. 

We need a keeper, centre back and left back. Not another striker. 

Plenty of people complained in the summer about signing a striker and not the centre back.we need. Are we back to this again. 

I completely agree in the fact we need defenders asap.

Just wondered why you said that Rhodes isn't coming back. I think if DG goes to Australia then Rhodes on loan until the end of the season would be a good signing.

As much as I want Brereton to come good and eventually justify the price tag, I don't think he could do what Rhodes could in the final 5 months of the season.

Rhodes was loved at Champions Norwich last season and scored some vital LATE goals, something nobody in our team seems able to do.

• Like 1