BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Ayala and Friend have the Middlesbrough connection too, so Mowbray will salivating at the thought of snatching a couple of experienced defenders from such a huge club.

Jordan Rhodes is on there too, we all know Dack is going in the summer, so what would people's thoughts be of signing Rhodes and going to a more traditional 4-4-2 lineup? Or is he past it now?

Rudd might be good for the GK position, and obviously everyones favourite defender Cooper is on there.

I didn't 

4 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Jordan Rhodes is on there too, we all know Dack is going in the summer, so what would people's thoughts be of signing Rhodes and going to a more traditional 4-4-2 lineup? Or is he past it now?

New GK

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Rothwell Travis Holtby Armstrong

Rhodes Gallagher

Jordan Rhodes never was past it, it's that every club he went to played him up-top on his own and expected 30 goals. It's unreasonable. He was at his best alongside Rudy Gestede and would be absolutely fine in a 4-4-2. If Dack went in January and this was our line up for the remainder of the season... I wouldn't hate it entirely.

59 minutes ago, JoeH said:

New GK

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Rothwell Travis Holtby Armstrong

Rhodes Gallagher

Jordan Rhodes never was past it, it's that every club he went to played him up-top on his own and expected 30 goals. It's unreasonable. He was at his best alongside Rudy Gestede and would be absolutely fine in a 4-4-2. If Dack went in January and this was our line up for the remainder of the season... I wouldn't hate it entirely.

I dont agree that Rhodes was at his best with Gestede or in a 442 at all. He scored goals continiously regardless of his team mates here but he actually scored most goals in his first season when he was usually played with a number 10 behind him, whether it was Kazim Richards, Dunn, Rochina, Gomes, whoever.

I dont think Holtby would be best in that midfield 2, he was really ineffective v Leeds and Barnsley there and couldnt influence the game from deep. For me once Dack goes, Holtby has to be the main to take on that mantle

I dont think him and Gallagher would be a good partnership either and am not sure with Rhodes lacking confidence initially where the goals would come from with Gallagher rarely troubling the score sheet either. We cant afford to let Dack go mid season, 100%.

I think Rhodes' confidence has sapped from being a regular here to being seemingly not wanted at Boro, in and out in the Championship, totally ignored in the Premier League and has seemingly never settled since.  Im not sure if it will ever be recovered but I hope it is as he was a superb Championship striker here, as good as there was around. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont agree that Rhodes was at his best with Gestede or in a 442 at all. He scored goals continiously regardless of his team mates here but he actually scored most goals in his first season when he was usually played with a number 10 behind him, whether it was Kazim Richards, Dunn, Rochina, Gomes, whoever.

I dont think Holtby would be best in that midfield 2, he was really ineffective v Leeds and Barnsley there and couldnt influence the game from deep. For me once Dack goes, Holtby has to be the main to take on that mantle

I dont think him and Gallagher would be a good partnership either and am not sure with Rhodes lacking confidence initially where the goals would come from with Gallagher rarely troubling the score sheet either. We cant afford to let Dack go mid season, 100%.

I think Rhodes' confidence has sapped from being a regular here to being seemingly not wanted at Boro, in and out in the Championship, totally ignored in the Premier League and has seemingly never settled since.  Im not sure if it will ever be recovered but I hope it is as he was a superb Championship striker here, as good as there was around. 

Rhodes has done nothing for years. Forget about him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/best-championship-players-preston-north-17410110

Some good quality players on that list who we could potentially get on the cheap with a few months left on their contract...

Bialkowski? Shea looked decent for Luton..

But it’s the defenders who I like...Ayala, Friend and Cooper would be fantastic additions. 

Ayala or Cooper for CB

Dawson for Keeper slot 

Friend and Wallace would be decent enough

Edited by chaddyrovers

Jordan Rhodes would be an epic mastersrtoke if Mowbray could get him back possibly for this season, definetly for next, despite only scoring 19 goals since the start of the 16/17 season hes still totaled 205 goals in 472 appearances in all competitions, thats almost a one in 2 ratio, if anyone can get his confidence back up and get him back to scoring ways its us, the place where he was last happy playing football. Hes guaranteed goals when hes firing.

• Like 2

• Backroom
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Defenders came in the summer. 

Sort of. We brought in Walton, Tosin and Cunningham (all on loan) and let Downing, Raya, Mulgrew and Rodwell (who I'd  personally class as a midfielder but mostly played in defence for us) go. So we technically ended up on -1 in terms of goalkeepers/defenders and with Cunningham's injury we're now on -2. If you class S. Downing as a defensive signing then you could put it back to -1 I guess. Realistically though all of our permanent signing were midfielders and strikers, we didn't bring in a single permanent defensive signing which I don't think is what most of us envisioned when Mowbray promised that defenders were coming at the end of last season. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, DE. said:

Sort of. We brought in Walton, Tosin and Cunningham (all on loan) and let Downing, Raya, Mulgrew and Rodwell (who I'd  personally class as a midfielder but mostly played in defence for us) go. So we technically ended up on -1 in terms of goalkeepers/defenders and with Cunningham's injury we're now on -2. If you class S. Downing as a defensive signing then you could put it back to -1 I guess. Realistically though all of our permanent signing were midfielders and strikers, we didn't bring in a single permanent defensive signing which I don't think is what most of us envisioned when Mowbray promised that defenders were coming at the end of last season. 

So we did bring in defenders in then like I said. Your last point I agree with 100% 

Always thought Cunningham would sign permanent here when he signed here. Unsure now Harris is manager there. 

Tosin has been a great signing for us so far. 

26 minutes ago, Pedro said:

It wouldn't shock me if he came back. I don't think it is unrealistic.

Rhodes wont be coming back here. Isn't a Mowbray type striker plus his wages at Sheff Wed are well above what we pay as a club

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Rhodes wont be coming back here. Isn't a Mowbray type striker plus his wages at Sheff Wed are well above what we pay as a club

Isn't a Mowbray type striker in that he has a wealth of experience and can actually score goals? ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

As opposed to Gallagher, Brereton, Armstrong and Samuel, all reknown for holding the ball up!

You are right, hes not Mowbrays type of striker as he scores goals.

Rhodes wanted out of Rovers when Boro wanted him. 

People forget this fact

Edited by chaddyrovers