BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think you (and a few others) are being very harsh Joe. No one has seen enough of Buckley to make that type of judgement. The “wow” was because I cannot believe how quickly our supporters are to write off their own. I rarely see that level of criticism for academy stars at other clubs.

I said in the summer exactly what the club thought of Buckley. That has stood up as he is the only one close to breaking through in spite of chatter around Magloire, JRC and Butterworth etc...

The club 100% see Buckley as the next big thing. He hasn’t got into his stride yet but they believe he will. At 19 or whatever I’m willing to give him another year or two and trust the professionals before I write the poor lads career off ??

That is not quite true Paul is it? You specifically were doing the "chatter" about JRC and predicted he would be in the fist 11 on a regular basis and how he was/is the best of the promising young lads at the club.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I guess we could say goodbye to three points against Wednesday, and hello to the bottom half of the table.

I think Rovers always need a young home-grown player in the squad to lift us. I think he should stay put and continue to show us what he can do with cameo appearances, or even the cup competitions.

We already have Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis for that purpose who are very competent players who improve us. Fair play to Buckley for that crucial goal but it had a huge slice of luck to it and otherwise he is totally ineffective. Get him playing regularly to see if he can regularly impact games at a lower level.

• Like 1

On 16/12/2019 at 22:38, geedog13 said:

Rumour Mill: Rovers interested in Sheffield Wednesday defender

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1012743480?-11198:839

If this is to be believed then where does that put the Cunningham rumour?

It's a tough one, Fox would be cheaper but we know what we would be getting with Cunningham. However, Fox is fit and playing well where as we wouldn't see Cunningham until we kick off in the Premier League next season.

Choices choices!! 

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No one has seen enough of Buckley to make that type of judgement. 

Why are you so insistent? What have you seen that I haven't.?  I see a technically average , lightweight player who struggles to find his best position.   I suspect he'll end up at lower league or non league....

• Like 1

I haven't seen anything that impressive in Buckley myself but it seems like the coaching staff and at least some of the players are expecting big things from him.  Cunningham, on commentary duties the other day, was saying how much he rated him.  

I do get JoeH's point though, some regular football would do him good so from the outside I would send him on loan for half a season.  He's at best fourth choice for centre mid and maybe Davenport can cover him there.  I had high hopes for Davenport coming from City and apparently being impressive in the Championship for an albeit relegated Burton.  He's had injuries but has been fit for a while and should be ready.  On the right JRC sounds like a better fit and his versatility would seem ideal for the bench, from the little I have seen of him he has a nice cross on him.

Brereton is another who needs game time and to get his confidence and although I didn't think he was that bad against Bristol City I can't see him getting a lot of minutes ahead of Graham Gally and Armstrong up top and I don't want to seem on the right so I'd loan him out if there are any takers. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ossyian said:

That is not quite true Paul is it? You specifically were doing the "chatter" about JRC and predicted he would be in the fist 11 on a regular basis and how he was/is the best of the promising young lads at the club.

Never. I specifically called out Buckley at the same time as I spoke about the introduction of Jonty and the technology. 

Buckley was a surprise to me too at the time as everything had been about Magloire before. At the time I also mentioned Butterworth and JRC as being around the squad but Buckley is ‘the one’ in their eyes. 

Edited by Paul Mani

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Why are you so insistent? What have you seen that I haven't.?  I see a technically average , lightweight player who struggles to find his best position.   I suspect he'll end up at lower league or non league....

I haven’t seen anything you haven’t. I’m just aware of the fact that he is the one they rate (which is shown by his constant inclusion with the first team). More importantly though. If I knew absolutely nothing, I would never slaughter a young player based on an accumulation of about 40 mins of football? 15mins of which (vs Sheffield Weds) a few posters on here attributed his introduction as the ‘turning point’ in the game!

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers board meet to discuss transfer plans in January. 

Mowbray wants a keeper, left back, centre back. 

Also will be outgoings like Samuel, Chapman and Smallwood leaving

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18107466.january-transfer-window-discussed-rovers-board-meeting/

Yes, hopefully we make some solid additions experienced keeper, Cooper and George Friend please.

Not to labour the point but our Chief Exec specifically refers to Buckley aswell. ?

3 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I haven't seen anything that impressive in Buckley myself but it seems like the coaching staff and at least some of the players are expecting big things from him.  Cunningham, on commentary duties the other day, was saying how much he rated him.  

I do get JoeH's point though, some regular football would do him good so from the outside I would send him on loan for half a season.  He's at best fourth choice for centre mid and maybe Davenport can cover him there.  I had high hopes for Davenport coming from City and apparently being impressive in the Championship for an albeit relegated Burton.  He's had injuries but has been fit for a while and should be ready.  On the right JRC sounds like a better fit and his versatility would seem ideal for the bench, from the little I have seen of him he has a nice cross on him.

Brereton is another who needs game time and to get his confidence and although I didn't think he was that bad against Bristol City I can't see him getting a lot of minutes ahead of Graham Gally and Armstrong up top and I don't want to seem on the right so I'd loan him out if there are any takers. 

Good post. I think they’ll keep Buckley in the 23’s with JRC and Buckley. I also think they’ll keep Brereton for the run in as cover for that forward position. An injury to DG or SG puts him immediately into game time.

Hart, Davenport, Chapman, Smallwood and Samuel are prime to go out. First team players with no real potential of playing. After that, Fisher might leave if we sign a keeper.

I didn’t even include Gladwin

Edited by Paul Mani

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers board meet to discuss transfer plans in January. 

Mowbray wants a keeper, left back, centre back. 

Also will be outgoings like Samuel, Chapman and Smallwood leaving

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18107466.january-transfer-window-discussed-rovers-board-meeting/

Gosh we'll miss Samuel! Davenport still breathing?

I get really nervous and frustrated when I hear

"People will ask what are we doing in January? We might sign some players, but they might not get in the team because they don’t know how we play, what to do in certain situations,” Mowbray explained.

“They have to integrate in to the football and that’s been the case for a few players. We’re trying to teach the players when to play, when to be calm, when to be aggressive, when to sit off and let them have at the back and see if they can play through us, teach them football.

“It’s not something you can do in a couple of sessions. Then in time you buy some new players because you want to improve but then you have to introduce them to the systems and methods.”

• Like 6

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

"People will ask what are we doing in January? We might sign some players, but they might not get in the team because they don’t know how we play, what to do in certain situations,” Mowbray explained.

“They have to integrate in to the football and that’s been the case for a few players. We’re trying to teach the players when to play, when to be calm, when to be aggressive, when to sit off and let them have at the back and see if they can play through us, teach them football.

“It’s not something you can do in a couple of sessions. Then in time you buy some new players because you want to improve but then you have to introduce them to the systems and methods.”

Why would you sign someone who does not know how to play football?

• Like 1

• Backroom

Plenty of clubs bring in players who integrate quickly and have an instant impact. The fact we can't points to something being wrong with our setup, rather than there being an issue with new players arriving. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Plenty of clubs bring in players who integrate quickly and have an instant impact. The fact we can't points to something being wrong with our setup, rather than there being an issue with new players arriving. 

That is true. Guess alot depends on the player and his family. 

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

That is true. Guess alot depends on the player and his family. 

To be honest I think it's just an excuse to lower expectations of buying players. Cunningham came in and improved us straight away, so it's not impossible and I don't think our style of play is so complicated that a decent footballer couldn't adapt quickly. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

To be honest I think it's just an excuse to lower expectations of buying players. Cunningham came in and improved us straight away, so it's not impossible and I don't think our style of play is so complicated that a decent footballer couldn't adapt quickly. 

But Cunningham know the area tho. 

We will buy players in January. Would be very happy with 3 signings with a keeper, Left back and centre back In. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's more how we play compare to how he been playing at his current club

I get that, but the comment just comes across rather negatively. It strikes me as the kind of attitude that lost us Bauer. The last thing I want to happen in this window is for us to be signing players to sit on the bench week in, week out or fester in the U23s.

I want a new GK to come in and take the gloves, a new left back who can improve our starting 11 immediately and a centre half that is of equal, if not better quality than Lenihan.

We are on the cusp of something special here and making signings in January, that won't be ready to play our way until March is exactly the wrong way to go! 

If these players targeted are good enough then they will learn our way quickly. They have to, otherwise we run the risk of being also rans YET AGAIN!

• Like 3

After the buoyancy of recent weeks that interview has perturbed me a little. I fear we are falling into the same trap as last January and to a lesser degree the Summer window which were both preceded by good form and results. I think that has clouded Mowbrays judgement and if we don't strengthen we could only be one injury away from another capitulation.

One of the biggest mistakes of the last twenty five years was not buying after the Premier League win. I remember the words of Alan Hansen who said 'you buy when you are strong' In my opinion Mowbray would do well to heed them words.

All this integration nonsense comes across as a touch arrogant to me.

• Like 4

Just now, arbitro said:

All this integration nonsense comes across as a touch arrogant to me.

Exactly, it's not like we play tika taka football. We work hard and we don't give up. We don't really have a style as such. 

If any future signings don't come with the hard work skill set then I would rather not have them.

Incomings are pretty much impossible to predict, I think this window will be all about the outgoings. We need to cut the dross from the wage bill, get our exciting 23's players out on loan at EFL clubs, and sort out Charlie Mulgrew once and for all. Have him do the half time draw on Monday or something, give him a nice goodbye, but he's never playing centre-back at Rovers again.

John Buckley to Morecambe or Oldham - Clubs aren't too far away from home, both are League Two sides that have a high chance of going down, and this loan could probably give Buckley a little bit of pressure to deal with, in a high risk and high importance relegation scenario where he HAS to perform.

Richie Smallwood, Samuel Hart, Dominic Samuel & Ben Gladwin to be Released - All players mentioned here are simply not good enough for this team, are very unlikely to play any serious game time this year for the first team, and need moving away from the wage bill. These players combined would allow for one big signings wages for the season.

Joe Rankin-Costello to Bolton or Accrington Stanley - JRC is a League One level player, maybe slightly higher, in my opinion. A top quality, versatile winger. A short term loan locally, at a team like Bolton in League One, with a little bit of pressure on a player who's very close to first team chances, would do him the world of good. If we want to make some money from the loan and they can't afford, which is plausible, then Accrington Stanley is probably another good option.

Charlie Mulgrew to Wigan (Permanent) - The Wigan set-up like him, he's running down a contract and is well above the age of 30. The chances of him featuring for our side again are slim, and removing a probably fairly high wage from the club would be really helpful going into this window and the next.

Tom White & Matty Platt to Barrow (Extended Loan) - I think an extension to Tom White and Matty Platt's current loan deals at Barrow would be fairly well received. White especilly has been impressive for the Under 23's and could have a future with us. Matty Platt is a bit of a conundrum, and potentially won't make it with us long term. 

Joe Grayson to Blackpool - Will cause debate this one, but working under Dad Simon, in a promotion battle scenario could be great for Grayson. Anybody who's seen him play knows that on the ball he's got great feet and finds a lovely pass, but right now he's lacking the physicality of a central defender. A stint in League One against some physical strikers could do him the world of good, especially given that Blackpool may lose a defender in the window.

All added together, these outgoings, permanent and loan, would probably open up at least £30,000pw for the wage bill, if not even nearer £40,000pw. That's more than enough for a Rhian Brewster (if that's the clubs plan), or for some end of contract players.

2 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Over-thinking it again! Or getting his alibi in early in case we get nobody!

• Like 3

Keeper and a commanding centre half is 100% necessary!! If there's any cash left after that I'd try and bring in a bit of firepower upfront- maybe a small nippy littl nuisance like Dickov  to play off Gallagher- is there anyone knocking around in that mould these days?

Keeper: Gomes from Watford

Centre Half: Big commanding unit

Striker: Nuisance striker that can score (Dickov)

Any good league 1 or Premiership players knocking around that we could snaffle?

Just now, Lie_still_Rover said:

Keeper and a commanding centre half is 100% necessary!! If there's any cash left after that I'd try and bring in a bit of firepower upfront- maybe a small nippy littl nuisance like Dickov  to play off Gallagher- is there anyone knocking around in that mould these days?

Keeper: Gomes from Watford

Centre Half: Big commanding unit

Striker: Nuisance striker that can score (Dickov)

Any good league 1 or Premiership players knocking around that we could snaffle?

Henderson at Rochdale is a good nuisance striker, short term buy though given his age.

• Like 1