BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

I really enjoyed watching Dickov, very underated player..

I do think GK and Centre half is a priority though.

Walton might have had a few reasonable games, but I still think he's a massive downgrade on Raya. Can we not just bring Raya back and then sign that big lump Pontus Janson too? Be right with them two then I think..

• Like 2

Just now, Lie_still_Rover said:

I really enjoyed watching Dickov, very underated player..

Played a huge supporting role in the Bellamy season (as did the much maligned Kuqi, too).

Bellamy & Hughes rightly take the credit for taking us to the next level, but there were big wins that season when Bellamy was injured and they were excellent. West Ham, West Brom & Portsmouth stand out, but I'm sure there were others. 

On January, agree with the need for a keeper. I'm pretty relaxed about another centre half so long as we keep Tosin. Left back is more urgent for me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

On January, agree with the need for a keeper. I'm pretty relaxed about another centre half so long as we keep Tosin. Left back is more urgent for me.

We need a new centre half for two reasons.

Keep lenihan and Toisin playing for their places and to keep Del away from the back 4 should either get injured.  

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

We need a new centre half for two reasons.

Keep lenihan and Toisin playing for their places and to keep Del away from the back 4 should either get injured.  

Exactly my thinking..

Lenihan is really injury prone. Don't want Williams there. However I'd be more than happy with him at let back..

2 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Exactly my thinking..

Lenihan is really injury prone. Don't want Williams there. However I'd be more than happy with him at let back..

Makes no sense, Williams has performed better in the middle than at left back - although Tosin & Lenihan are undoubtedly our strongest pairing.

Any centre half we sign, be it on loan or permanent will need to accept they are coming in as backup/injury cover.

Left back I'm not sure, will he stick with Downing and Bell as back up?

If we're signing a keeper he needs to be an immediate, experienced upgrade.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

After the buoyancy of recent weeks that interview has perturbed me a little. I fear we are falling into the same trap as last January and to a lesser degree the Summer window which were both preceded by good form and results. I think that has clouded Mowbrays judgement and if we don't strengthen we could only be one injury away from another capitulation.

One of the biggest mistakes of the last twenty five years was not buying after the Premier League win. I remember the words of Alan Hansen who said 'you buy when you are strong' In my opinion Mowbray would do well to heed them words.

All this integration nonsense comes across as a touch arrogant to me.

Spot on, the better you are placed and the better you are doing, the higher the calibre of player you can attract. We could have been buying some of the best players in the world after winning the league but ended up with Matty Holmes and Gary Croft.

If we find ourselves in the playoff mix in January, we should definitely be using that to our advantage in the transfer market. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Incomings are pretty much impossible to predict, I think this window will be all about the outgoings. We need to cut the dross from the wage bill, get our exciting 23's players out on loan at EFL clubs, and sort out Charlie Mulgrew once and for all. Have him do the half time draw on Monday or something, give him a nice goodbye, but he's never playing centre-back at Rovers again.

John Buckley to Morecambe or Oldham - Clubs aren't too far away from home, both are League Two sides that have a high chance of going down, and this loan could probably give Buckley a little bit of pressure to deal with, in a high risk and high importance relegation scenario where he HAS to perform.

Richie Smallwood, Samuel Hart, Dominic Samuel & Ben Gladwin to be Released - All players mentioned here are simply not good enough for this team, are very unlikely to play any serious game time this year for the first team, and need moving away from the wage bill. These players combined would allow for one big signings wages for the season.

Joe Rankin-Costello to Bolton or Accrington Stanley - JRC is a League One level player, maybe slightly higher, in my opinion. A top quality, versatile winger. A short term loan locally, at a team like Bolton in League One, with a little bit of pressure on a player who's very close to first team chances, would do him the world of good. If we want to make some money from the loan and they can't afford, which is plausible, then Accrington Stanley is probably another good option.

Charlie Mulgrew to Wigan (Permanent) - The Wigan set-up like him, he's running down a contract and is well above the age of 30. The chances of him featuring for our side again are slim, and removing a probably fairly high wage from the club would be really helpful going into this window and the next.

Tom White & Matty Platt to Barrow (Extended Loan) - I think an extension to Tom White and Matty Platt's current loan deals at Barrow would be fairly well received. White especilly has been impressive for the Under 23's and could have a future with us. Matty Platt is a bit of a conundrum, and potentially won't make it with us long term. 

Joe Grayson to Blackpool - Will cause debate this one, but working under Dad Simon, in a promotion battle scenario could be great for Grayson. Anybody who's seen him play knows that on the ball he's got great feet and finds a lovely pass, but right now he's lacking the physicality of a central defender. A stint in League One against some physical strikers could do him the world of good, especially given that Blackpool may lose a defender in the window.

All added together, these outgoings, permanent and loan, would probably open up at least £30,000pw for the wage bill, if not even nearer £40,000pw. That's more than enough for a Rhian Brewster (if that's the clubs plan), or for some end of contract players.

I think Grayson is out for the season isnt he? Not sure how we could predict that Rankin Costello is League 1 quality if not higher, doubt hed get near the Bolton side personally.

If we had to release all of them players we would still have to pay them off so we wouldnt save all of that in wages. Although id like them all plus Mulgrew to go, I agrew with you, plus Chapman and Davenport are potential loanees.

2 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Keeper and a commanding centre half is 100% necessary!! If there's any cash left after that I'd try and bring in a bit of firepower upfront- maybe a small nippy littl nuisance like Dickov  to play off Gallagher- is there anyone knocking around in that mould these days?

Keeper: Gomes from Watford

Centre Half: Big commanding unit

Striker: Nuisance striker that can score (Dickov)

Any good league 1 or Premiership players knocking around that we could snaffle?

Dack is a little nuisance who scores loads playing off a striker...

(Not sure Gallagher is the type of striker at the moment who people "play off" like Graham is)

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think Grayson is out for the season isnt he? Not sure how we could predict that Rankin Costello is League 1 quality if not higher, doubt hed get near the Bolton side personally.

If we had to release all of them players we would still have to pay them off so we wouldnt save all of that in wages. Although id like them all plus Mulgrew to go, I agrew with you, plus Chapman and Davenport are potential loanees.

Rankin-Costello would be in the top 5/6 players at Bolton. Most of their subs and half their team is youth players which play youth football two divisions below our Youth Team.

57 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Exactly my thinking..

Yeah you had me until the last bit.  Nowhere near the team for Del and we have a shout with a good back up CH....If we preserve with Del then mid table and below beckons.

According to this site we had scouts at a Benfica game :

https://the72.co.uk/152030/blackburn-rovers-scouts-attend-portuguese-tie-alongside-manchester-united-and-atletico-madrid/

"According to this latest update, the Lancashire club watched Benfica thrash Famalicao 4-0 on Saturday, before observing Braga’s 1-0 defeat to Pacos Ferreira on Sunday, and Porto’s 3-0 win over Tondela on Monday night."

Edited by Swanson

Just now, Swanson said:

According to this site we had scouts at a Benfica game :

https://the72.co.uk/152030/blackburn-rovers-scouts-attend-portuguese-tie-alongside-manchester-united-and-atletico-madrid/

"According to this latest update, the Lancashire club watched Benfica thrash Famalicao 4-0 on Saturday, before observing Braga’s 1-0 defeat to Pacos Ferreira on Sunday, and Porto’s 3-0 win over Tondela on Monday night."

what are we up to 

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

Incomings are pretty much impossible to predict, I think this window will be all about the outgoings. We need to cut the dross from the wage bill, get our exciting 23's players out on loan at EFL clubs, and sort out Charlie Mulgrew once and for all. Have him do the half time draw on Monday or something, give him a nice goodbye, but he's never playing centre-back at Rovers again.

John Buckley to Morecambe or Oldham - Clubs aren't too far away from home, both are League Two sides that have a high chance of going down, and this loan could probably give Buckley a little bit of pressure to deal with, in a high risk and high importance relegation scenario where he HAS to perform.

Richie Smallwood, Samuel Hart, Dominic Samuel & Ben Gladwin to be Released - All players mentioned here are simply not good enough for this team, are very unlikely to play any serious game time this year for the first team, and need moving away from the wage bill. These players combined would allow for one big signings wages for the season.

Joe Rankin-Costello to Bolton or Accrington Stanley - JRC is a League One level player, maybe slightly higher, in my opinion. A top quality, versatile winger. A short term loan locally, at a team like Bolton in League One, with a little bit of pressure on a player who's very close to first team chances, would do him the world of good. If we want to make some money from the loan and they can't afford, which is plausible, then Accrington Stanley is probably another good option.

Charlie Mulgrew to Wigan (Permanent) - The Wigan set-up like him, he's running down a contract and is well above the age of 30. The chances of him featuring for our side again are slim, and removing a probably fairly high wage from the club would be really helpful going into this window and the next.

Tom White & Matty Platt to Barrow (Extended Loan) - I think an extension to Tom White and Matty Platt's current loan deals at Barrow would be fairly well received. White especilly has been impressive for the Under 23's and could have a future with us. Matty Platt is a bit of a conundrum, and potentially won't make it with us long term. 

Joe Grayson to Blackpool - Will cause debate this one, but working under Dad Simon, in a promotion battle scenario could be great for Grayson. Anybody who's seen him play knows that on the ball he's got great feet and finds a lovely pass, but right now he's lacking the physicality of a central defender. A stint in League One against some physical strikers could do him the world of good, especially given that Blackpool may lose a defender in the window.

All added together, these outgoings, permanent and loan, would probably open up at least £30,000pw for the wage bill, if not even nearer £40,000pw. That's more than enough for a Rhian Brewster (if that's the clubs plan), or for some end of contract players.

Given the laws of contract I'd be interested to know how you arrive at the savings you quote.

• Like 2

Find Mowbray and Waggotts buzz word of "depth" and discussion of players not coming straight into the team a little strange, January is the month to sign players to have an immediate impact to push you towards where you want to be. We want players of first team quality to come in and improve us.

Find Mowbray and Waggotts buzz word of "depth" and discussion of players not coming straight into the team a little strange, January is the month to sign players to have an immediate impact to push you towards where you want to be. We want players of first team quality to come in and improve us.

do we have the budget to get them and are these players there at the right price or not

on depth, you build a squad that allow the manager to make changes over a period of time when you are playing 4 games in 10 days and allow Mowbray the chance to make 6 changes and we still win the game. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

do we have the budget to get them and are these players there at the right price or not

on depth, you build a squad that allow the manager to make changes over a period of time when you are playing 4 games in 10 days and allow Mowbray the chance to make 6 changes and we still win the game. 

Theres no point signing players if they arent an improvement on what weve already got. The signing we made last January has yet to start a game.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 4

Theres no point signing players if they arent an improvement on what weve already got. The signing we made last January has yet to start a game.

well if Chapman had perform and show the correct attitude in January then maybe he would have started games. 

Lets see who we target/sign first before we see if there is an improvement

12 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Never. I specifically called out Buckley at the same time as I spoke about the introduction of Jonty and the technology. 

Buckley was a surprise to me too at the time as everything had been about Magloire before. At the time I also mentioned Butterworth and JRC as being around the squad but Buckley is ‘the one’ in their eyes. 

On 23 July you quoted " JRC is the big mover of the summer. He is the one that has really put himself in the first team squad picture" ?????