BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Buckley is one of very few of our players who has a change of pace when he has the ball. This was typified on Boxing Day in the left band corner of the Blackburn End. In no space at all he left two Birmingham players for dead on the goal line. He also plays on the half turn as well as any of our players.

What won't help him is Mowbray putting his hands on his head when he makes a mistake. He has to be nurtured and given the platform. Interestingly Mowbray names him in a list is several players who could replace Dack. I really hope he does.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Buckley should stay at the club for the next 2 or 3 years. 

Which clubs are interested in him? 

any other news?

I’d love him to stay too Chaddy. But top teams are willing to pay 7 or 8 figures for potential. As well as big wages. I don’t think the club or Buckley could turn them down.

I don’t have any transfer news. But I’m 100% sure that any WBA deal for Dack was not known or sanctioned by Rovers. And as far as they know there’s no pressure from Venky to sell our best players. Obviously ffp is a different matter but that’s an external pressure to generate money.

Just now, arbitro said:

Buckley is one of very few of our players who has a change of pace when he has the ball. This was typified on Boxing Day in the left band corner of the Blackburn End. In no space at all he left two Birmingham players for dead on the goal line. He also plays on the half turn as well as any of our players.

What won't help him is Mowbray putting his hands on his head when he makes a mistake. He has to be nurtured and given the platform. Interestingly Mowbray names him in a list is several players who could replace Dack. I really hope he does.

It’s very difficult to tell which is his stronger foot. He can pass first time with both, generally successfully even with his back or side to the receiver. His control is fairly mesmerising at times.

That alone makes him a very technical prospect, combined with his ability to get his head up, find spaces behind and between the lines.

He simply lacks experience and physicality, and as Paul points out - it’s not difficult to see why he may be plucked from our midst sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

Great post. The deft touch and half turn thing is bang on the money and what they’re always raving about him. Are you involved in football mate? 

His relationship with TM and DJ plus a new contract will be pivotal to keeping him. I’m not suggesting this is all about money but when the potential wages on offer are 20x what you’re currently on then your current employer needs to step up...

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I’d love him to stay too Chaddy. But top teams are willing to pay 7 or 8 figures for potential. As well as big wages. I don’t think the club or Buckley could turn them down.

Well we need to get him a new contract and stay playing him here. 

Its important he is involved in 1st team here and playing games. No point sitting in premier league development squad. 

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

It’s very difficult to tell which is his stronger foot. He can pass first time with both, generally successfully even with his back or side to the receiver. His control is fairly mesmerising at times.

That alone makes him a very technical prospect, combined with his ability to get his head up, find spaces behind and between the lines.

He simply lacks experience and physicality, and as Paul points out - it’s not difficult to see why he may be plucked from our midst sooner rather than later.

Tbh I haven’t seen a lot of him as I don’t watch the 23’s. But everyone I speak to who is involved has been raving about him for 12 months. They’re all talking and now watching.

From what I saw on Boxing Day alone (which I’m assured is about 70% of how good he is now). Once he physically becomes a man this lad will play every week in the PL. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well we need to get him a new contract and stay playing him here. 

Its important he is involved in 1st team here and playing games. No point sitting in premier league development squad. 

Preaching to the converted here buddy. Prob on a grand a week at the mo I reckon. Which is nowhere near first team level. Give him a new contract and play him.

Then try to satisfy fFP some other way. The problem is if a Champions League club comes knocking...

• Like 1

The worry is that Mowbray has mentioned Holtby, Brereton, Samuel, Buckley and Rothwell as a possible replacement for Dack.

All I can see is constant chopping and changing of these players with no one (like Buckley) getting a run in that position. More likely to play 1 game there and then another as an inside forward.

• Like 2

Just now, davulsukur said:

The worry is that Mowbray has mentioned Holtby, Brereton, Samuel, Buckley and Rothwell as a possible replacement for Dack.

I said in another thread, but IMO this the start of another terrible run, and Mowbray will probably make 4 or 5 changes every game for the next 7 or 8 weeks or so until he stumbles on his best 11 again.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I said in another thread, but IMO this the start of another terrible run, and Mowbray will probably make 4 or 5 changes every game for the next 7 or 8 weeks or so until he stumbles on his best 11 again.

I’d stick with the team / shape from Boxing Day and replace Bell with Downing and Bennet with Travis.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I do share some concerns with lineups, however this is especially unfair off the back of the Wigan game which incurred at least 2 enforced changes, two 30+ year old lads playing 90 minutes and a whole host of under performers!

Equally the changes back for the Wigan game from Bristol - was arguably our best XI minus Adarabioyo.

I think this season is again showing we perform our best when all of the top players are available. Losing Adarabioyo for the Christmas games and then Dack for the season, was always going to cause a huge issue. Similar to losing Lenihan for 8 weeks already this season!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

I do share some concerns with lineups, however this is especially unfair off the back of the Wigan game which incurred at least 2 enforced changes, two 30+ year old lads playing 90 minutes and a whole host of under performers!

Equally the changes back for the Wigan game from Bristol - was arguably our best XI minus Adarabioyo.

I think this season is again showing we perform our best when all of the top players are available. Losing Adarabioyo for the Christmas games and then Dack for the season, was always going to cause a huge issue. Similar to losing Lenihan for 8 weeks already this season!

Agree it is harsh coming off the Wigan game, fair enough.

However, surely we are all used to Mowbray by now, it's a valid concern and criticism because we all know what he is like, it was so novel to have an unchanged side for 5 games or whatever it was, Dack being out is the perfect excuse for meddling Mowbray to start overthinking things again.

I hope he proves me wrong, buy I honestly think we could be looking at 8 games without a win now.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Why are people seemingly obsessed with Buckley bulking up? It's not always necessary depending upon position and pretty sure it's not a priority. IF the club wanted him to do so it's VERY easy to do so at that age especially with the facilities and knowledge available at Brockhall. Ain't nobody telling Messi or Neymar to start throwing extra plates on their bench press!

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

Why are people seemingly obsessed with Buckley bulking up? It's not always necessary depending upon position and pretty sure it's not a priority. IF the club wanted him to do so it's VERY easy to do so at that age especially with the facilities and knowledge available at Brockhall. Ain't nobody telling Messi or Neymar to start throwing extra plates on their bench press!

He needs to grow into his body. He’s not going to be Adama Traore, he just hasn’t finished his physical change from boy to man. Similar to Foden.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

However, surely we are all used to Mowbray by now, it's a valid concern and criticism because we all know what he is like, it was so novel to have an unchanged side for 5 games or whatever it was, Dack being out is the perfect excuse for meddling Mowbray to start overthinking things again.

I hope he proves me wrong, buy I honestly think we could be looking at 8 games without a win now.

Thankfully games aren’t won or lost in our minds. It’s such small margins. Both of the last two games could have been won easily which would’ve completely changed your / our mindset. I’m not saying we can’t go 8 without a win but come on pal. We’re 8 unbeaten, let’s have a bit of positivity! ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Dack being out means he HAS to meddle. Something has to change as Dack has been first choice for the last 3 years. Our team is built around Dack.

I read someone criticising Mowbray for simply listing the players who could play in the no10 role. 

Might be worth waiting to see what side Mowbray picks and the subsequent results. I prefer Holtby to Buckley right now.

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

It's the modern way mate. Some want pure athletes with muscles in their spit. I remember reading once that Jason Lowe was our fittest player ?. Buckley has fantastic balance which more than makes up for his lack of physique. I remember refereeing Ryan Giggs (nee Wilson) when he was 15. He was playing for Salford Boys against Liverpool Boys and the Manc/Scouse rivalry was evident and with Giggs' reputation he became a target for these hairy arsed Scousers. As we were walking off at full time I noticed his pristine kit without speck of mud on it. I then realised that despite many attempts to kick him he rode every challenge and never went to ground. This was on a shit heap of a pitch too. His balance was exquisite and Buckley has that same attribute. He seems to glide around the pitch.

Patience and a platform to play are the most important aspects of his development in my view.

• Like 6

Thankfully games aren’t won or lost in our minds. It’s such small margins. Both of the last two games could have been won easily which would’ve completely changed your / our mindset. I’m not saying we can’t go 8 without a win but come on pal. We’re 8 unbeaten, let’s have a bit of positivity! ?

Both could have easily have been lost too, but yes agree everything is in small margins.

Let's see what happens, but I'd happily have a friendly wager that we wont win again until either QPR at home or Middlesbrough away in late Jan/early Feb.

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Dack being out means he HAS to meddle. Something has to change as Dack has been first choice for the last 3 years. Our team is built around Dack.

I read someone criticising Mowbray for simply listing the players who could play in the no10 role. 

Might be worth waiting to see what side Mowbray picks and the subsequent results. I prefer Holtby to Buckley right now.

Yeah fair enough I get that the side has been built around Dack, but any manager worth there salt imo should have something in mind/place incase that sort of thing happens. I'd like to think one player will get a good run of games to step up in that role but we just know that it will be someone different every week leading to more disjointed performances, and everyone just shrugging there shoulders and accepting it.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t have any transfer news. But I’m 100% sure that any WBA deal for Dack was not known or sanctioned by Rovers. And as far as they know there’s no pressure from Venky to sell our best players. Obviously ffp is a different matter but that’s an external pressure to generate money.

Lol. Rovers paid £7m for potential.

Sends out entirely the wrong message if we buy Brereton and sell Buckley. Buckley looks to have a thousand times more potential than Brereton. At least he looks like a footballer.

Personally I’d by happier if we sold Brereton “with all his potential” for £3m and cut our losses: “not a good fit at Blackburn” could be the rider.

But please stop touting our best development players Mani. The only person I’ve heard making any noise about Buckley leaving is you!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

He doesn’t have to “meddle”, he just needs to replace Dack - and from the ranks by the sounds of it. One of Rothwell, Holtby or Buckley - none of whom are regulars - now needs an extended spell at number 10 in a team resembling the one he left unchanged for that excellent winning spell when he dropped Bennett and played everyone in their strongest position. Sadly it looks like Bennett is now back but not even on the right of midfield where is performs best.

Just now, Stuart said:

Lol. Rovers paid £7m for potential.

Sends out entirely the wrong message if we buy Brereton and sell Buckley. Buckley looks to have a thousand times more potential than Brereton. At least he looks like a footballer.

Personally I’d by happier if we sold Brereton “with all his potential” for £3m and cut our losses: “not a good fit at Blackburn” could be the rider.

But please stop touting our best development players Mani. The only person I’ve heard making any noise about Buckley leaving is you!

I’m not touting anyone Stu. I’m not involved in football and have zero influence. More importantly I’m a Rovers fan.

But I know the club are aware of the interest and that there could be bids for him this Jan. I thought that was worthy of note to most Rovers fans. Obv not you pal. No problems. 

• Like 1

I’m not touting anyone Stu. I’m not involved in football and have zero influence. More importantly I’m a Rovers fan.

But I know the club are aware of the interest and that there could be bids for him this Jan. I thought that was worthy of note to most Rovers fans. Obv not you pal. No problems. 

Lol. I didn’t mean literally touting. But I’ve nothing from anyone else but you that there is interest. From the number of posts about it, it would seem it is an open secret but they are all by you!

Nice passive aggressive finish though. ??

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

He doesn’t have to “meddle”, he just needs to replace Dack - and from the ranks by the sounds of it. One of Rothwell, Holtby or Buckley - none of whom are regulars - now needs an extended spell at number 10 in a team resembling the one he left unchanged for that excellent winning spell when he dropped Bennett and played everyone in their strongest position. Sadly it looks like Bennett is now back but not even on the right of midfield where is performs best.

I disagree (shock). Dack is very much a one off as his stats prove. He doesn’t play as a 10 but more of a hybrid. When attacking, he has the instincts and positioning of a goal poacher, in transition he plays as a creative 10 and assists and when defending he drops into midfield closing down like an 8.

Holtby and Buckley have the ability to be playmakers and close down but don’t have the same instinct in the box. Rothwells stats indicate that he neither assists nor scores goals.

The player most likely to fill Dacks current role is Armstrong imo. Has the strikers instinct, but has spent the last couple of years playing wide midfield and tracking back.

Which then leaves the right side attacking position free. It’s important to realise that the fullbacks create the width now and the wide midfielders tuck in (De Bruyne, Silva position). So Holtby and Buckley are perfect for these positions.

I fully expect Holtby to be a regular now and Buckley to fight it out with Rothwell. 

• Like 1