BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, Stuart said:

Lol. I didn’t mean literally touting. But I’ve nothing from anyone else but you that there is interest. From the number of posts about it, it would seem it is an open secret but they are all by you!

Nice passive aggressive finish though. ??

Touché ?

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Nobody is spending "8 figures" on John Buckley in January, you don't have to be "ITK" or work in football to work that out.

If they decide they want him then £10m is a basically a free transfer for these boys. I hope they don’t. If they do, I hope we turn them down...

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I disagree (shock). Dack is very much a one off as his stats prove. He doesn’t play as a 10 but more of a hybrid. When attacking, he has the instincts and positioning of a goal poacher, in transition he plays as a creative 10 and assists and when defending he drops into midfield closing down like an 8.

Holtby and Buckley have the ability to be playmakers and close down but don’t have the same instinct in the box. Rothwells stats indicate that he neither assists nor scores goals.

The player most likely to fill Dacks current role is Armstrong imo. Has the strikers instinct, but has spent the last couple of years playing wide midfield and tracking back.

Which then leaves the right side attacking position free. It’s important to realise that the fullbacks create the width now and the wide midfielders tuck in (De Bruyne, Silva position). So Holtby and Buckley are perfect for these positions.

I fully expect Holtby to be a regular now and Buckley to fight it out with Rothwell. 

By replace, I mean his position. He isn’t the only player who can play the “hybrid” role (aka number 10).

It might just be a chance for Rothwell or Holtby to shine further forward.

No player is bigger than the club.

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

@Madon have you got any news regarding transfers that might lift the gloom setting upon this site? 

Sorry, my source no longer tells me anything because I kept putting it all on here ? 

If I was to guess, I'd say numerous outgoings will happen next month and no incomings apart from maybe Cunningham.

8 minutes ago, Madon said:

Sorry, my source no longer tells me anything because I kept putting it all on here ? 

If I was to guess, I'd say numerous outgoings will happen next month and no incomings apart from maybe Cunningham.

Is the Cunningham deal done? I’ve missed that one

34 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I disagree (shock). Dack is very much a one off as his stats prove. He doesn’t play as a 10 but more of a hybrid. When attacking, he has the instincts and positioning of a goal poacher, in transition he plays as a creative 10 and assists and when defending he drops into midfield closing down like an 8.

Holtby and Buckley have the ability to be playmakers and close down but don’t have the same instinct in the box. Rothwells stats indicate that he neither assists nor scores goals.

The player most likely to fill Dacks current role is Armstrong imo. Has the strikers instinct, but has spent the last couple of years playing wide midfield and tracking back.

Which then leaves the right side attacking position free. It’s important to realise that the fullbacks create the width now and the wide midfielders tuck in (De Bruyne, Silva position). So Holtby and Buckley are perfect for these positions.

I fully expect Holtby to be a regular now and Buckley to fight it out with Rothwell. 

I do agree with your comments on Dack, he's unique in the way he plays that role. We certainly can't replace him like for like.

Buckley and Holtby as wide midfielders who tuck in didnt really work on boxing day but needs to be worked on I guess, if thats the way he wants to play I feel like we need to commit to it with those players and see what happens.

• Like 1

Well, never mind then. TM just said there is no money for a replacement. Which pretty much means we will slug through the rest of this season and possibly get relegated the next. You know, unless Brereton starts playing like Ronaldo or some nonsense like that.

The only hope is Venkys dont pull the plug before Dack is back in top form.

3 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

Well, never mind then. TM just said there is no money for a replacement. Which pretty much means we will slug through the rest of this season and possibly get relegated the next. You know, unless Brereton starts playing like Ronaldo or some nonsense like that.

The only hope is Venkys dont pull the plug before Dack is back in top form.

I’m not sure he said that. What I think is obvious is that we don’t have £10m plus to replace him in Jan.

In context, they will have allocated cash for the window. Targeting a keeper, lb and possibly a cb based on previous reports. So they will absolutely have to offload some wages to make space imo for a PL loan of a forward.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

What were Peter Reid and Joe Royle doing at our game the other night? I can only think that it was business rather than pleasure.

Scouting?

Also, regarding Brereton, I was trying to think who would actually want to take him on loan? - It would have to be a struggling team of a lower standard with the money to at least pay some of his wages. I could only really come up with Sunderland.

Go on Tony, stop being such a wuss, get on the blower to your neck of the woods.

26 minutes ago, Husky said:

What were Peter Reid and Joe Royle doing at our game the other night? I can only think that it was business rather than pleasure.

Scouting?

They're on the staff at Wigan.

Were they at the Brum game, too?

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I'd take 10m for a player who cant make the team.

Anybody offers that he'll be gone

I remember Rovers having a similar young player called David Helliwell in the 1960's just after we were relegated from the First Division. He was a local lad who was a really nice footballer, he could beat people and he had a good eye for a pass. The hope was he would replace Bryan Douglas as the midfield playmaker because Bryan was coming to the end of a great career. He was the MOTM in his debut game and he really looked the part. Unfortunately he was only about 5' 8" tall and at the most 9 stone wet through. I've no doubt the club did their best to build him up but he was always that weight. He fell into the trap of being not strong enough to play in midfield and not fast enough to play on the wing. Eventually he left Rovers and drifted down the leagues.

• Like 2

Just now, Amo said:

They're on the staff at Wigan.

Were they at the Brum game, too?

I can't remember to be honest. All the crap is blending in to one these days.

?

There are far too many hangers on in football and ultimately it's the fans paying all the wages.

Do we have a throw in coach?

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Play Birmingham on New Year day. 

Maybe talking about Mulgrew deal with Rovers

I think he means he saw them on the TV when we played Wigan, they were there because they are on Wigans staff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well we need to get him a new contract and stay playing him here. 

Its important he is involved in 1st team here and playing games. No point sitting in premier league development squad. 

He could be the next, er...Connor Mahoney. ?

Who?

Couple of players I’d like to see us look at in jan

yedlin - Newcastle RB/LB

Maddison - Peterborough LW/RW (yes him again)

Empadu - Chelsea CB (if he gets recalled from loan in Germany)

Williams - Manchester United LB 

Don’t think we need to go after a replacement for Dack, we have Holtby or Buckley who I believe both could excel in that free role. Full backs and genuine wingers are the must signings for me. Tho unfortunately I feel TM will persist with ‘wide forwards’. Wouldn’t mind bringing in a keeper but not sure who we could get in January who would be able to be a long term option.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Where are these rumours about Tosin coming from? Any actual legit rumours or just heresay?

People on here.

If he doesn't play tomorrow I might get worried. TM himself said he might make the Birmingham game but if not Huddersfield so we shall see.

19 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Where are these rumours about Tosin coming from? Any actual legit rumours or just heresay?

There is an article in the Mirror about it. Not certain it’s true, but certainly being reported.