BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

We have the players to make an impact in this league.

We don't have management capable of getting the best from the players we have.

My prescription - no need to bring in anyone else, other than a hungry, ambitious and focused manager.tenor.gif

Who in our squad could you say is a top 6 quality player at this time? I think the squad Mowbray has expensively assembled is lacking in many areas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doug said:

Could, if we wished, end the loans of Cunningham and Mulgrew?

And does anybody know what the situation is with Magloire, who's just returned to Rochdale's line-ups?

Could we recall him?

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Actually just thinking there, could Downing play Dacks role?

Possibly but honestly I'd rather not go with any other 'what if' scenarios right now. We already have Rothwell and Holtby who we know can play in that position, so they should really be first choice and if neither are available then look at alternatives. Technically we have a number of players who could play in that role, but it's supposed to be Rothwell's natural position so why not put him there and see how it goes? If it doesn't work out then okay, but at least it's putting a round peg in a round hole.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

He appears to have played in our last two u23s games.

And we won both games. He oils certainly add some depth to our defence. But it’s catch 22. You want him available as cover but you also want him getting valuable game time.

Just now, Stuart said:

And we won both games. He oils certainly add some depth to our defence. But it’s catch 22. You want him available as cover but you also want him getting valuable game time.

I watched the brief highlights of Accy v Rochdale. He was either playing right back or right centre back of a back 3. Got turned inside out on one occasion that should have led to a goal. The usual story of a small nippy player getting the better of a tall gangling player.

If he plays on Saturday against Newcastle I'll give you a full report as I've got tickets. Premier League opponents will be a good test for him.  Apparently Preston are in for one of the 'Dales midfield players and Forest are in for another one, Camps,  who we were interested in a while back.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I watched the brief highlights of Accy v Rochdale. He was either playing right back or right centre back of a back 3. Got turned inside out on one occasion that should have led to a goal. The usual story of a small nippy player getting the better of a tall gangling player.

If he plays on Saturday against Newcastle I'll give you a full report as I've got tickets. Premier League opponents will be a good test for him.  Apparently Preston are in for one of the 'Dales midfield players and Forest are in for another one, Camps,  who we were interested in a while back.

Cheers. Although I see him as a centre back, it surprises me that he was so poor at full back given his pace. I guess players don’t tend to run ‘at’ centre backs - if they know what’s good for them!

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Who in our squad could you say is a top 6 quality player at this time? I think the squad Mowbray has expensively assembled is lacking in many areas.

It is obvious from the run of games we won in December that, on their day, the players are as good as any of the opposition they encounter. What is lacking is a manager who has the desire / ability / inclination / insight / commitment to winning (delete or add to as appropriate) to get the best from a settled squad. It is also clear that for whatever reason, tombola and random selection is the preferred modus operandum of Tony Mowbray. Without wishing to belittle his capabilities, it doesn't look like he actually gives a fook at any point in a game, winning or losing. At least if we had someone on the sidelines who looked engaged with the game rather than away with the damned fairies in his own mind games, we as fans would be under no illusion that the manager was actually trying to win. As it is all we can infer is that his goal appears to be something other than the long term success of Blackburn Rovers, evidenced by consistent and coherent planning and effective (or at least clear) tactics during each game of the current campaign.

Give Johnson the chance. Get someone with a plan in. But for fecks sake, wake up and smell the coffee - Rovers are in a self-induced coma with Tony Mowbray at the helm.

giphy.gif

Edited by WIR Second Coming

Just now, Stuart said:

Cheers. Although I see him as a centre back, it surprises me that he was so poor at full back given his pace. I guess players don’t tend to run ‘at’ centre backs - if they know what’s good for them!

The lad running at him stood him up and then went past him.  He got Magloire square on instead of on the half turn,  lots of fast centre halves aren't that quick on the turn.

• Like 1

Is Buckley good enough for a promotion pushing team? No. So it has to be down to politics that he's given so much playing time at this stage - Mowbray is under pressure from India to produce players from our academy and make profits from our investments on Gallagher and Brereton (failing).

Does anyone have the video of Gallagher from his previous spell when they are practicing finishing? Shocking stuff.

We need a high energy type like Harrison Reed, as well as a new LB. A RB cover would be nice too, and let Bennett play the odd game in the middle of the park, he's not a right back for me.

I Walton going back to B&H Albion now or is it a season long loan?

I'd rather any money spent this January went on replacing Mowbray and bringing in his replacement as opposed to letting him squander even more money on players he then subsequently will probably only use sparingly if at all.

On the pitch we desperately need a decent striker and new keeper imo.

So:

1) New manager

2nd equal) New striker and keeper.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bohinen 22 said:

I think he does care. Sat behind him at the Wigan game. He was throwing bottles of water and all sorts. Think he just over thinks it and is way too loyal to certain players. He has also bought some dross too. It's so frustrating. 

I don't for one min think he doesn't want to win games and do well i just think his first concern and loyalty is to his squad that's why they back him to the hilt.  He's trying to strike a balance between keeping as many involved and in bonuses as he can whilst keeping their agents off his back. At the same time get enough points to keep fans off his back and placate the ownership whilst blooding a few youngsters. We have to conclude he's very good at this even if it's obvious he's literally winging it at times.

Most managers probably have to work like this, he's just fortunate he can get away with it at Rovers at the expense of having a best starting 11 and looking to drive up the league as far as possible shouldering the risks that takes. No real evident pressure we can see because that's what he's sold to the owners and a finish slightly higher than last season equals job done.

They don't watch it week in week out like fans and see the clear evident hinderance his methods put on the ability to win games consistently. They don't give a shit if they do watch anyway because they've been told book value will increase and we are on a slow build to bigger things. They'll swallow up the behind the scenes stuff as well. 

Whatever plan they've been sold medium term doesn't involve a proper push and will never end in any sort of genuine promotion tilt. It's just time buying but they are still too numb to realise.  Like with Bowyer though you do feel one day something will snap, then we'll end up in the shit again. The solution is simple though and always has been, get someone in proper to run the club and be impartial where the management and football side is concerned.  That way they can apply the necessary kicks up the backside to those below when needed not close ranks and arse cover.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

We need a high energy type like Harrison Reed, as well as a new LB. A RB cover would be nice too, and let Bennett play the odd game in the middle of the park, he's not a right back for me.

He isn’t a right winger, right midfielder, left back or Centre midfielder either. No where  close to championship quality. Another who never should have got a new contract.

1 hour ago, WIR Second Coming said:

It is obvious from the run of games we won in December that, on their day, the players are as good as any of the opposition they encounter. What is lacking is a manager who has the desire / ability / inclination / insight / commitment to winning (delete or add to as appropriate) to get the best from a settled squad. It is also clear that for whatever reason, tombola and random selection is the preferred modus operandum of Tony Mowbray. Without wishing to belittle his capabilities, it doesn't look like he actually gives a fook at any point in a game, winning or losing. At least if we had someone on the sidelines who looked engaged with the game rather than away with the damned fairies in his own mind games, we as fans would be under no illusion that the manager was actually trying to win. As it is all we can infer is that his goal appears to be something other than the long term success of Blackburn Rovers, evidenced by consistent and coherent planning and effective (or at least clear) tactics during each game of the current campaign.

Give Johnson the chance. Get someone with a plan in. But for fecks sake, wake up and smell the coffee - Rovers are in a self-induced coma with Tony Mowbray at the helm.

giphy.gif

Even during that run though, it was Dack that was our difference maker when we was nicking games. He scored 2 of our 3 v Barnsley, the only goal v Brentford, the first v Stoke before making a key pass to set up the second, and he was key in creating Grahams goal at Swansea. There were a couple of isolated wonder goals in there too from Downing and Armstrong but usually to edge games built often on organisation, we rely on one man to sniff out a goal or create a bit of magic. Of course then followed the win v Bristol City which was very much the anomaly within that run of success. 

I am not defending Mowbray but I dont think a new manager could necessarily manage to get this set of players much higher in the League, not least a manager whose only experience is in a kids league whereby results are of secondary performance. Our squad is lacking in many areas, notably in attack whereby Mowbrays only proven, consistent success of a signing succumbing to injury has really brought to head how poor our recruitment has been under Mowbrays tenure, with considerable resources and time. For me, the managers job has to be questioned not because he is massively underachieving with a talented squad of players, because it isnt, but because the squad is not much better (without Dack) than the squad he inherited 3 years and 20m pounds ago. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Even during that run though, it was Dack that was our difference maker when we was nicking games. He scored 2 of our 3 v Barnsley, the only goal v Brentford, the first v Stoke before making a key pass to set up the second, and he was key in creating Grahams goal at Swansea. There were a couple of isolated wonder goals in there too from Downing and Armstrong but usually to edge games built often on organisation, we rely on one man to sniff out a goal or create a bit of magic. Of course then followed the win v Bristol City which was very much the anomaly within that run of success. 

I am not defending Mowbray but I dont think a new manager could necessarily manage to get this set of players much higher in the League, not least a manager whose only experience is in a kids league whereby results are of secondary performance. Our squad is lacking in many areas, notably in attack whereby Mowbrays only proven, consistent success of a signing succumbing to injury has really brought to head how poor our recruitment has been under Mowbrays tenure, with considerable resources and time. For me, the managers job has to be questioned not because he is massively underachieving with a talented squad of players, because it isnt, but because the squad is not much better (without Dack) than the squad he inherited 3 years and 20m pounds ago. 

I agree re the squad. It is simply not a top 6 one. The issue is spending £12m on Two strikers who don’t score. They still hold out hope for both but are particularly worried about Gally who has come back a lesser player than the one who left them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Possibly but honestly I'd rather not go with any other 'what if' scenarios right now. We already have Rothwell and Holtby who we know can play in that position, so they should really be first choice and if neither are available then look at alternatives. Technically we have a number of players who could play in that role, but it's supposed to be Rothwell's natural position so why not put him there and see how it goes? If it doesn't work out then okay, but at least it's putting a round peg in a round hole.

The problen is a pivotal part of Dacks 'role' has been to arrive in the box in space at the right time. Thats where his goals have come from.

Holtby and Rothwell might be able to replace his build up play but they arent goal poachers in the same bracket as Dack. With him beung out we have two roles to fill.

10 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Is Buckley good enough for a promotion pushing team? No. So it has to be down to politics that he's given so much playing time at this stage - Mowbray is under pressure from India to produce players from our academy and make profits from our investments on Gallagher and Brereton (failing).

Does anyone have the video of Gallagher from his previous spell when they are practicing finishing? Shocking stuff.

I Walton going back to B&H Albion now or is it a season long loan?

Ah come on now,for all Mowbrays faults and reasons to be criticized,  it's a peculiar angle to have a conspiracy theory as to why Buckely started a few. Before he was starting a lot on here were,incorrectly , slaying mowbray for not giving youth a chance. He gives him a chance,which hasn't worked out, and now you are trying to make out someone is making him play Buckley. Nonsense. I wouldnt say any of the Indians know who Buckley is. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 5

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Hasta said:

The problen is a pivotal part of Dacks 'role' has been to arrive in the box in space at the right time. Thats where his goals have come from.

Holtby and Rothwell might be able to replace his build up play but they arent goal poachers in the same bracket as Dack. With him beung out we have two roles to fill.

Unfortunately we're incredibly short on intelligent footballers so I think we're probably going to have to accept 1/2 and hope that's enough.