BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Crossing like tackling or heading is an art form fast dying out, just like the flying up and down the line wingers the ball winning centre mid. The knock the passes around centre mid and striking partnerships.

I really don't know why because football as a spectacle is all the worse for it season on season recently it's become more tactical, zonal, robotic shite. Zombie players all very similar and teams filled out with what are basically right footed right sided midfielders playing in numerous positions that don't really suit.

Mowbray is an absolute master at deploying players in positions that don't suit their limited abilities but to be fair in the Championship it's like a disease.  No real need for it at this level somebody start to bring back the blood and thunder end to end stuff please.

Mike Harrison could cross a good ball. It came across like a bullet though, slightest touch and it would fly towards goal. You had to be pretty brave to get your head on one. Fred Pickering put plenty away.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mike Harrison could cross a good ball. It came across like a bullet though, slightest touch and it would fly towards goal. You had to be brave to get your head on one though.

Even Wilcox could put a mean cross in, those that fly across the middle then swing out, easy sometimes for good defenders and steady keepers but they'd be unplayable for these types these days. 

If where looking at midfielders would it mean where losing one wouldn't  be surprised  if Travis moved on . And if its ture that Sheff United or back in you Lenihan then another  center half would be need Ben Heneghan plus cash for a right back would do me

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I didn't say I'd touch Marshall either. And Craig Conway would absolutely get into this team. Not ahead of Downing, on the opposite wing to him.

What is this obsession with not actually reading into the opinion you're commenting on?

I do think we are lacking in the wide areas, but lets not reinvent history, Conway was unable to justify a place in our team for his last couple of seasons here, his abilities had clearly waned with age and he was ineffective for at least his last 2 seasons. As others have said, theres a reason hes had to go to League 2 to get a contract.

• Like 2

Conway was one of the best crossers of the ball since Ripley and Wilcox, however age had well and truly taken its toll and he was no use as a winger anymore.

Found his level at this stage in his career at Salford and doing very well by all accounts with numerous assists and MOTM awards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Good picture of trav in the article.

If Sheff come in with a bid, he'll be off like a shot. Dacks not getting sold and we need cash from somewhere.

Venkys might even let Mowbray sign an inferior replacement with some of the transfer fee too.

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, JoeH said:

I didn't say I'd touch Marshall either. And Craig Conway would absolutely get into this team. Not ahead of Downing, on the opposite wing to him.

What is this obsession with not actually reading into the opinion you're commenting on?

Current Craig Conway/last season’s Craig Conway, there’s absolutely no way.

When he first signed, then possibly.

Just read the Mowbray statement that we have no money and won't be doing any business. Pretty obvious from the accounts. Because we can't sell Dack any spend will bang us straight into FFP.

If Sheff Utd did come for Lenihan I doubt he would have a choice. Pretty sure we would sell him and look for a freebie replacement on less wages.

Forget the football side of things now. It's 100% about the finances and FFP making all the decisions. The only "Dack Plan" has gone up in smoke. Even KPMG didn't have a plan B.

Good that Gladwin has gone. Expecting about 4 more to go. Smallwood, Evans, Bell, Samuel.

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Forget the football side of things now. It's 100% about the finances and FFP making all the decisions. The only "Dack Plan" has gone up in smoke. Even KPMG didn't have a plan B.

Good that Gladwin has gone. Expecting about 4 more to go. Smallwood, Evans, Bell, Samuel.

This has been coming. When we consider Mowbray's transfer business it has been almost entirely either temporary loans or when money has been spent it has been with a view to resale in the near future.

They did the same when Bowyer was manager. Gave it a couple of seasons and then cut it down and cleared the assets for cash.

That's why talk of a multiyear build wasnt going to be sustainable, because barring an unlikely promotion it was always going to see Venkys cash in on their chips. It's what they do. They dont want to invest and have only.been persuaded to do so on the basis they can get it back soon after.

I dont accept that it is essential to do this. I look around the division and plenty of clubs dont adopt this approach.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We wanted Heneghan previously, before he signed for Sheff Utd.

Heneghan has been on the market for 18 months. Been loaned out to Blackpool until this Jan. Contract up this summer. Never started for sheff utd.

Just now, Rogerb said:

Heneghan has been on the market for 18 months. Been loaned out to Blackpool until this Jan. Contract up this summer. Never started for sheff utd.

We were " bidding for his signature " at the time he signed for Sheff U. We were also in for McGinn who went to Villa and that McGeoch who signed for Sunderland at that time.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were " bidding for his signature " at the time he signed for Sheff U. We were also in for McGinn who went to Villa and that McGeoch who signed for Sunderland at that time.

Indeed we were. Recurring theme like this summer with the keepers of not getting the deals done.

8 hours ago, J*B said:

The money spent on Brereton and Gallagher is the Dack money. It’s already been spent trying to find the next Dack type signing. The reason they’re worrying suddenly is there’s a Dack transfer-fee-sized-hole that needs filling for 12 months. 

Just imagine selling Dack and then being told that the money had already been spent on those two!

Probably as well he got injured!

If we sell Lenihan then we are done.

• Like 1

Brereton needs football every week. He ain't going to progress with the odd games with us so loan him out to a league one club with a "must play every week clause" and lets see what he can do.

Would love SUFC to make a big money bid for Lenihan but I doubt we'd be able to use it. 

• Like 1