BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

To be fair, the 23's need it. Squad getting thin now with injuries to Butterworth and Grayson long term, JRC more shorter term, Wharton, Platt, White all out on loan too...

If he's being bought in and then loaned out again straight away, what use is he to the under 23's?

15 hours ago, Mercer said:

If Rovers could get that much money for Armstrong, and I think they'd be lucky to get even a third of that, he'd have to go for me.

I think he has one asset and that is pace.  I think technically, he's extremely poor and doesn't have a football brain.

Furthermore, I think he has a very average goal scoring record for a striker with a career average of about 1 goal every 4 or 5 games (though quite prodigious against Brereton / Gallagher for Rovers).

If he keeps scoring 7-8 goals plus a season at this level we will get at least 4 or 5 million for him. That's the way the market is. He's still young as well and his pace will always entice buyers. He frustrates me a lot, but we are certainly turning a profit on him. 

At this time of year it's not just about what's available it's also about where you want to be come May.

Making an effort a few years ago would probably have seen us avoid relegation.  Last season getting in a defender or two or maybe even not letting go the back up might just have helped avoid that awful run.

This season there is no one really to let go unless a striker is loaned out although there's deadwood to be trimmed. Maybe Smallwood will get a gig somewhere then that will allow one young player in.  The only ambition is to plod in mid table again it probably always was behind closed doors.

The Dack injury gives an understandable excuse but there are players out there and players already here to help counter that. However when you can placate your bosses telling them you are getting games into their investments and youngsters and need to rotate to do so it's a ready made security blanket.

Comfort zone is alive and well and will continue another 2 years at least.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

You don’t know him then. The money is of no relevance to Tony. 40 years in the game on good money, living a simple life. More importantly, one of the most honourable men you will ever meet.

If HE feels his race is run, he’ll walk. 

Well I don’t know him, just an ordinary fan.

Good news that he won’t hang on for a pay-off but bad news that he doesn’t realise his race is already run. Makes the good news irrelevant!

If you’re right of course!  :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

You don’t know him then. The money is of no relevance to Tony. 40 years in the game on good money, living a simple life. More importantly, one of the most honourable men you will ever meet.

If HE feels his race is run, he’ll walk. 

Really?

IMO, his credibility took a severe battering after what he said in Blues Bar almost 12 months ago and what has subsequently happened.

I think he's hung some of our younger players (easier targets) out to dry with his criticism whilst others have seemingly escaped scot free (likes of Bennett).  

IMO, Mowbray is not quite the 'honourable' man you and some others like to portray.

I would be staggered if Mowbray walks with no settlement.

If you know Mowbray personally, and your comments suggest you do, the kindest thing you could do, IMO, is tell him his race is already run! 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If he's being bought in and then loaned out again straight away, what use is he to the under 23's?

I didn't realise he was?

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

At this time of year it's not just about what's available it's also about where you want to be come May.

Making an effort a few years ago would probably have seen us avoid relegation.  Last season getting in a defender or two or maybe even not letting go the back up might just have helped avoid that awful run.

This season there is no one really to let go unless a striker is loaned out although there's deadwood to be trimmed. Maybe Smallwood will get a gig somewhere then that will allow one young player in.  The only ambition is to plod in mid table again it probably always was behind closed doors.

The Dack injury gives an understandable excuse but there are players out there and players already here to help counter that. However when you can placate your bosses telling them you are getting games into their investments and youngsters and need to rotate to do so it's a ready made security blanket.

Comfort zone is alive and well and will continue another 2 years at least.

I think we could easily sell Samllwood, Hart, Samuel and loan out Jacob Davenport all within this window if we wanted to. Get a freebie and a loan in to bolster the squad for the second half the season with that.

33 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think we could easily sell Samllwood, Hart, Samuel and loan out Jacob Davenport all within this window if we wanted to. Get a freebie and a loan in to bolster the squad for the second half the season with that.

I'd be surprised if we get anything above a pittence for Smallwood or Hart in January. I could see them being loaned out though.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why I said in my opinion. Tho I don't think I'm far off tbh. 

We are never going to offering millions in wages to attract managers like Bilic or Bielsa..

That just shows how stupid they are. Nobody at the club has more influence on the fortunes of the club than the first team manager yet they penny pinch on appointments. At the same time they're quite willing to blow £ 7 million on " investment " players. Absolute fools.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

A lot by now probably.  Think the last accounts showed nearly 6 mill paid which assumed to be towards BB and AA.

Gallagher was quoted as 3 mill with rest in add on's.

Next club accounts will make it a bit clearer.

Thankyou

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

They already have Grabban the cheeky buggers who is head and shoulders above anything we have.

We should have been in for Grabban. Instead we went for " jam tomorrow " and blew our kitty on an " investment ". I'd have rather had the " Cow " than the "Handful of  magic beans ".

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd be surprised if we get anything above a pittence for Smallwood or Hart in January. I could see them being loaned out though.

A pittance is fine, for me the transfer fees for either of those would never be anything worth talking about anyway, so get them off the wage bill, and get in a loan or two. 

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The big worry is we might end up having to pay to get some of the 'dead wood' off the books.

Too many sitting on their wages here and a management only too happy to let them do so.

Remember Mowbrays comments in summer about how a few wouldn't get much game time so they were free to look elsewhere. He wasn't going to force them out though so they were basically also free to just pick up their wages and hang around hoping.

I said at the time it was a lax attitude to have by him, a shoulder shrug it's no skin off my nose cause i ain't paying them attitude. I thought it would bite us on the arse down the line and the dirty work should have been done then.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3