BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

23 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Trouble is that Mowbray has been here nearly 3 years and run the club as he wants and yet even in his most recent transfer window he spent all his budget on players he knew from his past or Bennett's best mate.

Other than this random German kid we've just been linked with no evidence of any progress or serious desire to tap into foreign markets.

I suggest you look who Norwich and Brentford employ alongside and above the manager as to the reason why they are able to recruit so effectively. Modern structures whereas we are stuck in the dark ages with the manager running everything.

Well his first 5 months here he was head coach and we had Paul Senior as Sporting Director(who hired Mowbray). Then Senior went and Mowbray became Manager. We spend 1 year in league 1 so I wouldn't us to have overseas scouting network. Then Mowbray Started talking about us having a scouting network overseas about 12 months ago. We have hired a senior European Talent scout this season. Here is the job advert when was advertise back in July/August 2019 https://www.rovers.co.uk/siteassets/pdfs/job-vacancies/senior-european-talent-scout-.pdf

Well we tried to sign 2 foreign keepers in the summer and got either. Did we not try to sign a midfielder from Holland aswell? cant remember his name. 

Yet again JH, we have discussed the structure we would both like to see here and we agree. But we haven't yet. 

26 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Seems odd that they would be 'open to offers' considering they just got mega rich new owners. If only we had some money for strikers, oh, wait a minute...

6 months left on his contract. Refusing to sign a new contract

43 minutes ago, DE. said:

Problem is even if we did sign some hidden gems from foreign lower leagues I have zero faith in Mowbray or his staff improving them or integrating them into the team in a useful manner. I'm kind of resigned to almost every signing we make regressing and struggling to have an impact due to the manager and his baffling philosophy. I only hope that some of the players Mowbray has signed and will sign actually have untapped potential which is realised under a new manager. It's Venky's we're talking about here though so the "new manager" would probably be Iain Dowie or someone equally ridiculous. 

This is where I am at. No surprise to anyone I’m sure but, in isolation, I can’t think of a pro-Mowbray case.

Even from his most ardent supporters, the only argument for keeping him is: we might get someone worse.

This is exactly where we were under Bowyer - and there was probably a greater case to be made for Bowyer’s development of players!

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Other than this random German kid we've just been linked with no evidence of any progress or serious desire to tap into foreign markets.

2 missed keepers in the summer, according to TM? Confirmed scouts at numerous Ligue 1/2, Eredivisie, Bundeliga 1/2 matches?

Holtby?

Think you're possibly doing him a bit of a disservice there in terms of his desire at least...

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

2 missed keepers in the summer, according to TM? Confirmed scouts at numerous Ligue 1/2, Eredivisie, Bundeliga 1/2 matches?

Holtby?

Think you're possibly doing him a bit of a disservice there...

Adam Mahar was it not?

• Like 1

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Holtby?

Holtby has spent the majority of his career in England and is half scouse. Not exactly unearthed him from nowhere. 

I'm not interested in missed targets or what games our scouts watch. All that matters is who signs on the dotted line. I suspect most clubs in the Championship have numerous scouts who travel to many games over the course of a season.

Last summer we had Downing (Mowbray's mate from Middlesbrough), Johnson (Bennett's best mate), Gallagher (here last time under Mowbray) whilst he had encountered Cunningham and Tosin directly. That's fine if it works but for me there's far better value to be found abroad and nowhere near enough of us using those markets, still, some 3 years after his arrival.

It doesn't take 3 years to sign players from abroad. Even if we (bizarrely) ignore the first 18 months before promotion back to the Championship we've had 18 months since then. Look at the impact and speed with which Bielsa has revolutionised Leeds for comparison.

5 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Holtby?

The last 2 transfer windows have been as bad as I can remember following Rovers for a long time. 

The scouting system and signing process (Venus) is completely letting us down. 

I'd rather us have gambled the £5m Gallagher money on 5/6 foreign players with potential.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely you judge a manager on the signings he DOES make, not the ones he doesnt?

Otherwise Arsene Wenger would have built the best team ever!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2923275/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Lionel-Messi-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-superstar-XI-players-Arsenal-nearly-signed.html

Who has said otherwise? 

All we are saying we are looking at signing more players from countries like Germany or France. That's all we said. We have hired a Lead European talent scout now

18 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Adam Mahar was it not?

That's him. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

We've been there with the Portugeezers though, right?

I edited my previous comment to add "in terms of his desire", as that was actually JHRovers' point that I quoted.

There's evidence of desire, if not much through the door - yet. That's what I intended to say.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who has said otherwise? 

All we are saying we are looking at signing more players from countries like Germany or France. That's all we said. We have hired a Lead European talent scout now

That's him. 

Only problem is we cant spend any money on these players as we already pissed it down the drain and/or FFP wont let us!

2 minutes ago, AJW said:

Rovers sign an u23 right back to replace Bennett as cover for Nyambe ... Sell Evans for £1m+ ...Bennett moves to C/Mid to replace Evans 

Bennett is not a competent Championship central midfielder. Evans is nothing special but is far more capable there. Bennett is far too rash and is poor on the ball.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Only problem is we cant spend any money on these players as we already pissed it down the drain and/or FFP wont let us!

Why? Some players could be free transfer as they are out of contract. 

Depends on the fees involved and who we want. Depends how close we are the FFP rules. 

We see in the next few months

Unless we have replacement in needed positions (fullback, a decent winger) there is no point selling Evans now. He was our best player during the good run. At his best he breaks up play and uses the ball wisely. We haven't seen that enough of him as he seems to have struggled with fitness at times because of all the injuries. Downing is our best passer, but can't be trusted defensively. Johnson is on/off where looks great in one game, and lacking match fitness the next. Travis is reliable and always put in the effort, not one to make things tick though.

Not sure what happened to Davenport. Obviously talented which he proved at Burton in the Championship. Good energy and good passer, the injury might done a number on him.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why? Some players could be free transfer as they are out of contract.

They will still be on substantial wages though and I'd imagine our overall wage bill is as much of a problem as any fees when you're constantly bringing in players, discovering they're no good then looking to bring even more in without being proactive in offloading a few.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well maybe we see more players coming in from Overseas in the next couple of windows

Yaaaaay I can’t wait for the manager to sign more players for the tombola! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

They will still be on substantial wages though and I'd imagine our overall wage bill is as much of a problem as any fees when you're constantly bringing in players, discovering they're no good then looking to bring even more in without being proactive in offloading a few.

154% of turnover was it?

Safe to say that is a problem. 

don`t mean to be negative but whats the point of buying a winger when we don`t play with any width,is tony going to start playing attacking football??,he`s only picking chapman because everyone else is injured, id`e rather get a new goalkeeper,a left back and another centre back,start with the attacking options next year,we simply have to stop leaking 2/3 goals a game,sorry but i would`nt trust mowbray with monopoly money